I could have sworn I posted about this game while it was in early access, but I can't seem to find any post. It recently hit its version 1.00 landmark, leaving early access behind. The game is fantastic and it has been a great distraction for me. My brother passed away in June and I haven't really been able to focus on much since. The gameplay loop in this one definitely takes my mind off things in relatively short sessions.
You're basically a space miner working in the rings of Saturn. You can upgrade your ship with a lot of different modules and equipment and you can buy new vessels too. You can hire crew ranging from pilots, geologists, astrogators, etc. and they all have distinct personalities. It is all based on pretty solid science and newtonian physics so flying around in space can seem complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes a ton of fun. I usually balance manual flight with assistance of the AI and this works out pretty well. No major disasters yet. Modules and equipment can get damaged or destroyed and they also get wear and tear requiring repair and/or replacement. There are pirates and combat, but I'm yet to experience it and I don't go looking for it. I think there is a plot/storyline in here somewhere, but I've also just been using the game to kill time and take my mind off things so I really just mine, make money and upgrade my ship.
It's totally worth a look and its pretty dirt cheap too. Oh, and awesome indie developer who is very much involved in feedback and interacting with the fans.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/846030/V_Rings_of_Saturn/ (https://store.steampowered.com/app/846030/V_Rings_of_Saturn/)
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe the spiritual successor to a game two friends and I did for Avalon Hill many moons ago (pun intended) called Planet Miners. :)
The "space furries" dlc is an... odd choice for a physics based space mining sim. :headscratch:
It does remind me of a game I played years ago called Astrox: Hostile Space Excavation, only in a much more advanced form. I used to play that one on breaks at work to get my mind off things. Funny how soothing space mining can be.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 24, 2023, 05:33:47 PM....My brother passed away in June and I haven't really been able to focus on much since. ....
Jarhead-My condolences for your loss. I did not realize that you had lost a relative recently.
Quote from: Tripoli on July 24, 2023, 09:14:29 PMQuote from: Jarhead0331 on July 24, 2023, 05:33:47 PM....My brother passed away in June and I haven't really been able to focus on much since. ....
Jarhead-My condolences for your loss. I did not realize that you had lost a relative recently.
Thanks, Tripoli. It's been a really difficult few weeks. Been traveling back home to Texas a lot to be with my mom and sister-in-law. I still haven't fully accepted it and I'm not sure I ever will. He wasn't only my brother, he had become a great friend who always had my back and one of the few people who really understood me. A terrible loss to my family and the world.
Praying for your peace, man. Glad this game came along to calm your life a little.
Sorry for your loss Jarhead.
Thanks, guys.
One more thing I should add about this game. There is absolutely no hand-holding, no explanations of anything and no tutorial. You really have to jump straight in. Youtube will be your friend here if you require assistance or if you do not like figuring things out on your own.
Heh, the promotional video is the tutorial then! "Question everything."
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 24, 2023, 09:25:05 PMQuote from: Tripoli on July 24, 2023, 09:14:29 PMQuote from: Jarhead0331 on July 24, 2023, 05:33:47 PM....My brother passed away in June and I haven't really been able to focus on much since. ....
Jarhead-My condolences for your loss. I did not realize that you had lost a relative recently.
Thanks, Tripoli. It's been a really difficult few weeks. Been traveling back home to Texas a lot to be with my mom and sister-in-law. I still haven't fully accepted it and I'm not sure I ever will. He wasn't only my brother, he had become a great friend who always had my back and one of the few people who really understood me. A terrible loss to my family and the world.
Sincere condolences for your loss.