GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Destraex on September 15, 2023, 12:53:31 AM

Title: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Destraex on September 15, 2023, 12:53:31 AM
So excited! But don't trust leaks .... be excited quietly.. shhhhh
I had hoped this would happen. Looking forward to some madcat madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ3svOifDq4
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Destraex on September 15, 2023, 08:27:19 AM
More than a leak now:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2000890/MechWarrior_5_Clans/
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 15, 2023, 09:15:43 AM
I am likely the only person that knows very little about Mechs and nothing about what CLANS are and why important:)

Looks like release in 2024, assuming it doesn't get delayed into the following year like all major games seem to nowadays:)
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Gusington on September 15, 2023, 09:58:23 AM
^You're not.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: JasonPratt on September 15, 2023, 01:31:26 PM
Clans have better tech, overall, than standard Battlemechs. Eventually (depending on the timeline of the game) their gear can be retrofitted to Inner Sphere mechs (or vice versa), and their mechs can be purchased and used by mercenary groups (i.e. the usual players in these games) so this adds a bunch of new chassis beloved by the fans.

Also the clans add their own distinct flavors to the political inferno of the game in the Inner Sphere, which helps generate campaigns better.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Destraex on September 15, 2023, 06:50:29 PM
So basically this is in point form what you need to know.

1) Mechwarrior is just the first person simulation of mechs (giant machines with legs piloted by humans) in the Battletech tabletop universe.

The lore:
2) Originally all planets came together in a new age called the starleague with the military under a guy called kerensky

3) This came to an end in some sort of great war that ended with giant houses taking over all the planets they could. A lot of technology was lost. Lostech.

4) Keresky reconquered the capital terra but on government being dysfunctional again decided to take the survivors of the starleague military beyond known space never to be seen again.

5) Generations later iirc Kerensky's "children" return to the "inner sphere" from whereever they were and invade. They are organised into clans rather than houses. What's more their mechs and tech retain more lostech and did not stagnate like the inner spheres original human planets tech did. Clanners are bred in iron wombs and do not have mothers and fathers but rather sibkos. Sibkos are groups that came from the same growing womb so to speak, the same batch.
Clanners have some wierd knightly sort of rules based combat system based on glory rather than winning. This is what offsets their tech advantage a lot of the time. Before attacking they "bid" each other down to see who will take the most glory by taking the smallest force to attack.
Clanners have a huge superiority complex in a lot of cases OR at least experience great shock and shame at being beaten by a "freebirth" born naturally. Great stigma is attached to being freebirth and this also breeds some interesting stories in the lore about trueborns (artificially bred clanners) having freebirth kids together. Another twist is of freebirths captured during war and taken as "bondsmen" who are basically then bound as servants or slaves rising through the ranks through clan challenge systems.

On the tabletop game of battletech, when the clans came out they were not allowed to field as many mechs because their tech was so powerful. So some players who were used to fighting for houses who were fairly equal in terms of tech and were now faced with a side who would always be more powerful on the field would sometimes get to hating the clans. Some love them and some hate them.

P.S. It should be noted that some treaty at some point in the inner sphere (original planets and houses) banned the use of warships for planetary bombardment. This was because of the loss of life and tech caused in the initial upheaval. This paved the way for more mech oriented warfare.

It should also be noted that their is an organisation called "comstar" who retained starleague era tech and are tasked with protecting planet to planet communications everywhere. They remained neutral throughout all wars I believe until the clans almost won.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: SirAndrewD on September 15, 2023, 06:55:16 PM
Smoke Jaguars eh? Unique perspective playing as one of them rather than against them.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: SirAndrewD on September 15, 2023, 06:59:52 PM
Clans are semi fascist genetically engineered Space Spartans with a strict caste system and high tech.

Unfortunately for them they got their asses kicked by these guys....

Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Destraex on September 15, 2023, 07:24:24 PM
Yeah I remember reading the 3 clans novels as a kid and being enthralled by the alien like culture of the clans. Each clanner is bred for a specific role and thus caste and grows up in their "batch" sibko.

It is also interesting to note that their were two factions within the clans, clans. The wardens who wanted to protect the inner sphere original houses\humanity and bring them back to the starleague days of peace and prosperity and the crusaders who basically believe the inner sphere must be taken by force. Thus their was a secret infiltration of the inner sphere by clan mercenaries before the invasion starts, clan wolf known in the inner sphere as wolfs dragoons comes to mind. These guys fought beside some of the inner sphere houses to preserve the inner sphere by taking mercenary contracts.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 15, 2023, 08:01:39 PM
 :cool:

(https://cfw.sarna.net/wiki/images/thumb/6/60/1605.jpg/463px-8849mdmisik7m10hh0q09lx0fyplkvr.png?timestamp=20130504065413)
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Destraex on September 15, 2023, 09:14:11 PM
Were the black widows warden clandestine inner sphere contract mercenaries?
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: SirAndrewD on September 15, 2023, 11:20:34 PM
Quote from: Destraex on September 15, 2023, 09:14:11 PMWere the black widows warden clandestine inner sphere contract mercenaries?

No, Wolf's Dragoons were, but The Black Widow was Natasha Kerensky, a Clan Wolf Mech Ace with Wolf's Dragoons and her company were all secret clanners.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Destraex on September 16, 2023, 03:05:35 AM
Kerensky kinda gives that away :)
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: SirAndrewD on September 16, 2023, 12:49:50 PM
Quote from: Destraex on September 16, 2023, 03:05:35 AMKerensky kinda gives that away :)

They actually addressed that in the lore.  Comstar's secret Police, ROM had strong suspicions that the Dragoons were remnants/descendants of the SLDF and that Natasha Kerensky was indeed proof of it, but they never got enough evidence.  Still it started Comstar down the path of actually investigating the possibility Kerensky's descendants survived and led them to eventually make first contact with the Clans in the periphery just prior to the Clan invasion.

As for the rest of the Inner Sphere, they just assumed she was either a distant relation or the name was a coincidence.  They were pretty busy hiring out the Dragoons to blow crap up for them and didn't honestly care that they came out of nowhere piloting cherry Star League Mechs and had a Kerensky in the ranks.   :Nerd:  

Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: JasonPratt on September 16, 2023, 02:48:35 PM
I laughed WAY too hard at that Comstar Commercial.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: SirAndrewD on September 16, 2023, 03:21:34 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 16, 2023, 02:48:35 PMI laughed WAY too hard at that Comstar Commercial.

Well then...you're welcome:

Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Destraex on June 08, 2024, 07:36:33 PM
A new trailer is out. October 3rd release date. 

It looks pretty average gameplay wise and I did not spot any new mechanics. I wanted to see town defensive works and infantry. I want to see helicopters that move on and hide instead of charging in like they are in s space invaders game. I want the world to come alive. One thing that did strike me is that the clan guy in the video expects to motivate his troops because kurita is facist. Seemed like a weird thing for a clanner to say but I suppose it is possible.

Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Destraex on September 25, 2024, 10:34:48 PM
So I am reading their will be streamlined controls. Sounds ominous, or perhaps omnimech lol
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Destraex on October 17, 2024, 07:37:50 AM
So it's out... anybody bitten yet?
I am waiting for a mate to get it.... he says within a week.
Hoping to avoid spoilers by not reading smoke jaguar lore in the mean time while still getting an impression of whether this game is any good.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 17, 2024, 11:14:28 AM
Quote from: Destraex on October 17, 2024, 07:37:50 AMSo it's out... anybody bitten yet?
I am waiting for a mate to get it.... he says within a week.
Hoping to avoid spoilers by not reading smoke jaguar lore in the mean time while still getting an impression of whether this game is any good.

Reviews are lukewarm, at best.

I have it through gamepass. Will try to take a spin later today.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Pete Dero on October 17, 2024, 12:14:31 PM
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/action/mechwarrior-5-clans-review/

All the improvements in MechWarrior 5: Clans balance against one big sacrifice: Sandbox play. This is firmly a story-driven campaign with a sequence of linear, handcrafted missions. There's good variety, from patrols and recon to straight-up brawls, but ultimately they're all quite linear. There's no random procedural missions, and almost never a large open field mission with different objectives to conquer at your own pace or in an order you choose. While you can go back through the story missions with all your unlocks at campaign's end via the simulator pod—and even do new optional challenges for them—you're still limited to the pre-set missions and the exact team you end the campaign with.

Ultimately I felt the tradeoff was worth it. I spent about 40 hours with the campaign before I had only optional objectives in replays to do, and though the lack of sandbox play is most felt when you're still itching for more at the end I still loved the bombastic cinematics and intimate character moments that Clans chose over endless procedural content.

Score : 82

MechWarrior 5: Clans delivers a strong story of struggling young warriors alongside the best-ever version its iconic, lumbering mech combat.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Skoop on October 17, 2024, 01:43:33 PM
I kinda like the idea of a linear story driven campaign, but I'm still baffled why this couldn't be added to the current mech warrior game so that you have best of both worlds.  I'd even pay the full price, but just tie it into the sandbox game at the end and connect the two.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 17, 2024, 03:18:42 PM
Cinematic cut scenes are groovy so far. I enjoy a nice feature length campaign. First mission was enjoyable. Looking forward to more. 
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Destraex on November 01, 2024, 05:06:14 PM
I grabbed it after my friend who wanted tonplay got it on gamepass.

Played the prologue last night and enjoyer it but can no longer play the game.

I got a crushing headache at the centre of my head which is probably eye strain related.

MWO did the same. After years of playing MWO, after a patch one day MWO just gave me headaches.

MW5 was fine. Now MW5:clans is back to doing exactly what MWO did.

The only other game to cause this issue for me was space hulk deathwing enhanced.

What a shame.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 01, 2024, 05:46:51 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 01, 2024, 05:06:14 PMI grabbed it after my friend who wanted tonplay got it on gamepass.

Played the prologue last night and enjoyer it but can no longer play the game.

I got a crushing headache at the centre of my head which is probably eye strain related.

MWO did the same. After years of playing MWO, after a patch one day MWO just gave me headaches.

MW5 was fine. Now MW5:clans is back to doing exactly what MWO did.

The only other game to cause this issue for me was space hulk deathwing enhanced.

What a shame.

That's really strange. Why would only those handful of games cause that? What is unique about them?
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Destraex on November 01, 2024, 07:07:42 PM
Only two games have ever done this to me (1+2 variants of a game from piranah games). Space Hulk Deathwing and MWO, MW5: clans unreal 5 engine (but not MW5 unreal4 engine). Both have a lot of headbob and a lot of very bright weapon effects and both are small teams that perhaps do not have the time to really optimise and polish the graphics side of things as much?? I don't know what the issue is exactly.
I got the settings to a point in space hulk deathwing where the game was playable after they'd patched it a few times. But with MWO I had to quit and that was way back in 2014 or something after a patch. I'm going to quit early with MW5:clans as well. It's clearly a me problem but I do suspect that the devs could make the game a little friendlier with some kind of brightness filter (like in battletech lore) or a headbob setting. But I really don't expect that just for me from a small developer.

I'll just stick to space marine 2 or fire up MW5 or Battletech by hairbrained schemes. It's no biggy. I'm fine with any other game I have ever played.
I did enjoy the prologue and would recommend the game from the little I saw of it. I'm sure somebody will post the cutscenes on youtube so I will watch the story from their.

P.S. I think I am getting more light sensitive as I get older though.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: kludger on November 02, 2024, 10:29:44 AM
In case you haven't, you might want to try different FOV settings, or max FPS settings or things like that.

I've had a few games that gave me headaches in the past either when the FOV was too close (console ports like Dishonored) or where the FPS was not high enough, but I've been able to get around it by tweaking settings once I understood what was causing it for me, might be that something similar eases the problem for you.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Destraex on November 02, 2024, 10:13:29 PM
Quote from: kludger on November 02, 2024, 10:29:44 AMIn case you haven't, you might want to try different FOV settings, or max FPS settings or things like that.

I've had a few games that gave me headaches in the past either when the FOV was too close (console ports like Dishonored) or where the FPS was not high enough, but I've been able to get around it by tweaking settings once I understood what was causing it for me, might be that something similar eases the problem for you.

Really appreciate your suggestions.

I did try wide fov and after initially locking frames to 60fps because I don't like games that run your rig for all it's worth unnecessarily, I set the game back to the default unlimited.

It may be though that the damage was aleeady done and I had to wait for the headache to abate properly to try with those settings.

Maybe I will try the game again after a few patches. But after my MWO experience I have refunded it and probably won't try again. Whatever piranha games did to mwo is present in mw clans and since it stayed in mwo (i tried to go back many times before giving up) I imagine it will stay with clans. Best I just save myself the trouble.
Title: Re: CLANS coming to Mechwarrior 5 - Breaking LEAK
Post by: Destraex on May 07, 2025, 08:04:55 AM
Nice Mechwarrior 5 clans expansion trailer. Looks amazing. Shame it looks like it would burn my retinas out. Wish they had the brightness filters from the battletech lore.