GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: mbar on November 13, 2023, 05:06:25 PM

Title: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: mbar on November 13, 2023, 05:06:25 PM
STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 has been released on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1470940/STAR_FLEET_II__Krellan_Commander_Version_20/


I failed miserably as a beta tester but hopefully, I can make up for it a little by raising awareness.
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 13, 2023, 05:32:40 PM
Although intriguing, just know these old time interfaces would make me lose interest pretty quickly...
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 13, 2023, 07:21:50 PM
I also struggled as a tester. The UI absolutely is archaic and sets a high hurdle to overcome. Still, if you can get past it, there is quite a game there.
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: Sigwolf on November 13, 2023, 10:38:41 PM
I have to concur with previous comments.  Young me would be all over this... current me would have to be hit with a pretty huge wave of nostalgia to even want to go there.  Even then, I think I would want to revisit classics I loved at the time before I would tackle this, since I don't even recall this coming out. 

I absolutely loved Starflight and that predated the original release of this title by three years and had a way better interface.  To go back to a DOS interface now, it would need to be something I loved the first time through.
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: steve58 on November 14, 2023, 02:20:56 PM
Maybe I'll pick it up in the dollar bin just for nostalgia's sake...
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: crowdrake on November 14, 2023, 04:46:33 PM
I played quite a few of these and programed some, I think i remember one callled vtrek that was pretty good, I looked at the art in this and its more impressive than the older ones, but the price shocked me , but then i looked again and its my type of fun so grabbed it, not played yet but not looked forwards to a game this much for ages.
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: steve58 on November 14, 2023, 05:04:44 PM
My first memories of a star trek/fleet type game was this on my university's Burroughs 6xxx/7xxx? (d@mn I loved programming in Algol) computer in the early 1980s.

(https://regmedia.co.uk/2013/05/02/trek5.jpg)
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: crowdrake on November 14, 2023, 05:21:31 PM
bring back the 80s they were the greatest thing to happen to the world and we were there .
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: bobarossa on November 14, 2023, 08:14:52 PM
You're forgetting about disco  :buck2:
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: Gusington on November 14, 2023, 08:42:15 PM
Algol?  :huh:
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: steve58 on November 15, 2023, 11:11:02 AM
Quote from: Gusington on November 14, 2023, 08:42:15 PMAlgol?  :huh:

an old and dead programming language.

https://codedocs.org/what-is/algol
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: Gusington on November 15, 2023, 11:16:25 AM
Wow never even heard of that before this thread.
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: mbar on November 15, 2023, 12:00:14 PM
Quote from: steve58 on November 14, 2023, 05:04:44 PMMy first memories of a star trek/fleet type game was this on my university's Burroughs 6xxx/7xxx? (d@mn I loved programming in Algol) computer in the early 1980s.

(https://regmedia.co.uk/2013/05/02/trek5.jpg)

I remember playing this game or one like it at an open house where my father worked. I could not get enough of it. I remember ramming a romulan ship with my maneuvers. Oops.
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: ArizonaTank on November 15, 2023, 01:42:18 PM
I had the original version back in the day. Loved it!

Bought.
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 15, 2023, 02:07:23 PM
What I find most interesting is that the developer, Trevor Sorensen, put a tremendous amount of work into getting this to the 2.0 version of the game. I mean, the closed beta went on for what seemed like years and involved many many versions. I didn't follow the beta close enough to know why this was the case, but you would think there is an entirely new game here based solely on the man-hours put into it. Clearly though, it looks and plays as the original, so the time must have been devoted elsewhere...under the hood stuff, bug-squashing, etc.
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: SirAndrewD on November 15, 2023, 02:34:00 PM
I played a Krellan Star Fleet Game but it wasn't Star Fleet II.  I remember it was more based on ground combat but not sure it had the Star Fleet name.

Still quite the blast from the past.
Title: Re: STAR FLEET II - Krellan Commander Version 2.0 Released
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 15, 2023, 03:14:47 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 15, 2023, 02:07:23 PMWhat I find most interesting is that the developer, Trevor Sorensen, put a tremendous amount of work into getting this to the 2.0 version of the game. I mean, the closed beta went on for what seemed like years and involved many many versions. I didn't follow the beta close enough to know why this was the case, but you would think there is an entirely new game here based solely on the man-hours put into it. Clearly though, it looks and plays as the original, so the time must have been devoted elsewhere...under the hood stuff, bug-squashing, etc.

Yep, thought the same.  Maybe just a labor of love, versus trying to make ton of money.  Or doesn't possess modern development skills to use latest technology to release completely new version in the modern world.