GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Philippe on November 15, 2023, 09:21:04 AM

Title: RAF Eagle and Lion (or any computer game) from Decision Games
Post by: Philippe on November 15, 2023, 09:21:04 AM
Has anyone bought the computer version of these games?

I'd like to play them but their system for delivering digital games looks like it might be a bit wonky.

Anyone have any experience of this ?
Title: Re: RAF Eagle and Lion (or any computer game) from Decision Games
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 15, 2023, 10:35:37 AM
Purchased and played long ago....didn't click with me but getting the game was very easy.  Never played the board game so went in cold.
Title: Re: RAF Eagle and Lion (or any computer game) from Decision Games
Post by: JasonPratt on November 15, 2023, 02:39:04 PM
I got their hard copy along with digital years ago, but haven't played them yet. On TTS I don't strictly need to, I just wanted to have a legit copy of the games.  :azn: I did install one and it ran fine on Win 8.1, but I didn't get into the interface usability, much less bug checking.

Also got the digital and hard copy disc for Decision at Tarawa.
Title: Re: RAF Eagle and Lion (or any computer game) from Decision Games
Post by: Phantom on November 15, 2023, 02:54:30 PM
There's a YouTube review/playthough by a German gamer here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=mY567adVDFY
worth a look
Title: Re: RAF Eagle and Lion (or any computer game) from Decision Games
Post by: W8taminute on November 15, 2023, 03:47:11 PM
Phantom thanks for the link.  I'm a SmartWargames subscriber and watched and liked his video when it came out last year.
Title: Re: RAF Eagle and Lion (or any computer game) from Decision Games
Post by: Phantom on November 16, 2023, 02:21:13 PM
I have thought about getting this myself, having previously owned & enjoyed West Ends "RAF" - delayed buying it as I was (& still am) torn between the PC version & the actual boardgame.
Title: Re: RAF Eagle and Lion (or any computer game) from Decision Games
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 17, 2023, 12:38:26 PM
The boardgame is excellent. I have it and it plays beautifully.
Title: Re: RAF Eagle and Lion (or any computer game) from Decision Games
Post by: Phantom on November 17, 2023, 02:18:49 PM
Hi Judge - Am I correct in thinking that the board game also includes Lion AND Eagle games?
Title: Re: RAF Eagle and Lion (or any computer game) from Decision Games
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 17, 2023, 02:20:54 PM
Yep - both games. It's an absolute steal...one of the best written rulesets I've ever seen in a game too. Very easy to follow.
Title: Re: RAF Eagle and Lion (or any computer game) from Decision Games
Post by: JasonPratt on November 19, 2023, 06:11:25 PM
And a combination Lion vs Eagle game for 2 players.

The software version does not seem to do this: it's either Eagle or Lion (in two different programs). Which is how the boardgame was originally released.

(I've been occasionally updating a mod for the 2-player game on TTS for a year or two, adding some homebrew rules like the option for Lion to focus more on anti-air defense at the expense of fighter efficiency since fighters shouldn't be getting into flak areas.)