GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Tripoli on December 08, 2023, 08:21:52 AM

Title: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Tripoli on December 08, 2023, 08:21:52 AM
Chi Coltrane 1972

Me?  BoC work. Flashpoint Campaign work. Doing some work on the CMO Description files. Possibly some Silent Hunter IV.  WitP AE.  Rule the Waves 3 AAR. And since the temp here will be 54 degrees today, changing the oil on the snowblower....
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Geezer on December 08, 2023, 09:00:44 AM
Picked up No Man's Sky on sale from Steam and started playing.  All your base are belong to us!
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on December 08, 2023, 09:26:16 AM
I'll try to post some screenies later but I'll be playing a lot of Lionic's (a Civfanatic modder) version of El_Justo's The Cold War for C3C.

I'm also going to try and finish my re-play of Mass Effect 2. 
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: nelmsm on December 08, 2023, 09:32:39 AM
Well besides my usual PBEM and playtesting work I've been playing Farthest Frontier and enjoying it.  Have Next War: India-Pakistan on the game table and hope to get a few turns of the Lahore scenario done as well.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on December 08, 2023, 09:52:39 AM
Panzer Corps 2 tutorials because I have not played in a long time and I hope to start the Spanish Civil War campaign.

Some of the new Strategic Command 19th and early 20th century campaigns, Iron Harvest, Last Train Home and The Great War Western Front wait in the wings.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on December 08, 2023, 10:43:22 AM
I love The Great War Western Front but I haven't played that in a long while.  Need to get back to that game at some point. 

Too many games...too little time.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on December 08, 2023, 11:04:01 AM
How many hours have you put in to Great War?
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Pete Dero on December 08, 2023, 11:45:03 AM
Great song !


I'm playing the game with perhaps the longest name in my library : Call to Arms - Gates of Hell Ostfront - Liberation (DLC).
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on December 08, 2023, 11:46:21 AM
^Ooh how do you like that? Is it very complex? Is there a true campaign or is it built more around connected scenarios? I was very close to purchasing it a few days ago but stepped back.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on December 08, 2023, 02:02:44 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 08, 2023, 11:04:01 AMHow many hours have you put in to Great War?

I've got a little over 20 hours of game time according to Steam.  Need to double that figure at least. Well the way I see it anyway. 
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: solops on December 08, 2023, 02:23:21 PM
Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts
Maybe some Shadow Empire

If I can get past the above two, some Age of Wonders 4 or Warhammer III, or even Nebulous: Fleet Command.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Pete Dero on December 08, 2023, 02:30:11 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 08, 2023, 11:46:21 AM^Ooh how do you like that? Is it very complex? Is there a true campaign or is it built more around connected scenarios? I was very close to purchasing it a few days ago but stepped back.

There is some micromanagement involved (repair units, pick up ammo, heal soldiers, ...) but nothing too complex (like the Men of War series).
The normal campaigns are connected scenarios but the Conquest Mode generates a dynamic campaign with units that carry over (including captured equipment).

I'm just starting after finishing the tutorials but so far I like it.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on December 08, 2023, 03:28:25 PM
^Thanks, I may pick it up later today now.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Toonces on December 08, 2023, 03:46:53 PM
I'm giving Steam and Iron a run through tonight.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Jarhead0331 on December 08, 2023, 03:52:50 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 08, 2023, 11:46:21 AM^Ooh how do you like that? Is it very complex? Is there a true campaign or is it built more around connected scenarios? I was very close to purchasing it a few days ago but stepped back.

Its f*cking awesome. But the liberation DLC is very tough.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on December 08, 2023, 03:59:49 PM
I'm gonna take baby steps.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on December 08, 2023, 04:04:08 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 08, 2023, 03:28:25 PM^Thanks, I may pick it up later today now.

Good choice.  Gates of Hell is very solid.   

For me the weekend will be heavily invested in Rogue Trader and the Enlisted Merge.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Tripoli on December 08, 2023, 05:08:51 PM
Quote from: Toonces on December 08, 2023, 03:46:53 PMI'm giving Steam and Iron a run through tonight.

Being one of the relatively few members of the "Navy Mafia" on Grogheads, I'm curious as to what you think of it. :grin:
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Dammit Carl! on December 08, 2023, 08:29:22 PM
Eh, it's the holiday season so it's off to give Wargaming my attention for the month in order to suck up whatever crap I can for my Wot and WoWs accounts and simultaneously show just how much shit I am in both games but I don't mind; still play so still enjoy the things despite it all right?

The slide between Thanksgiving and Christmas is getting shorter and faster.  Egad.

All the best, folks.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Old TImer on December 09, 2023, 09:17:29 PM
Quote from: Toonces on December 08, 2023, 03:46:53 PMI'm giving Steam and Iron a run through tonight.

Here's a link for some additional scenarios.  I think I have even more if you want them.
I'll be interested in your impressions.  Big fan of the age of steam and this game is
the best so far on the subject.  Did you get the campaign game as well?

https://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/30/sai-scenarios-thread (https://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/30/sai-scenarios-thread)
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Toonces on December 12, 2023, 09:42:30 AM
I got the version with the campaign, yes.  I think it came bundled.  Hard to pass for $10.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Vox on December 13, 2023, 08:22:16 AM
Re: SAI : Great War and Russo.  I like their historically based experience and the player's operational control of campaigns.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on December 13, 2023, 09:34:25 AM
Quote from: Vox on December 13, 2023, 08:22:16 AMRe: SAI : Great War and Russo.  I like their historically based experience and the player's operational control of campaigns.

Forgive me for asking but what is "SAI: Great War and Russo"?

I too enjoy operational control of campaigns in games.  :cool:
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on December 13, 2023, 09:59:37 AM
'Steam and Iron' - Great War and Russo Japanese War scenarios
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on December 13, 2023, 01:08:42 PM
Oh I see.  Thanks.  I never played those games.  Now I'll have to check them out.
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Tripoli on December 13, 2023, 03:12:22 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 13, 2023, 01:08:42 PMOh I see.  Thanks.  I never played those games.  Now I'll have to check them out.

If you want to see an example of "Steam and Iron Great War at Sea" (https://www.navalwarfare.net/steam&iron.html), it is the game (specifically, the "Steam and Iron Campaign Expansion") I used in this AAR https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16935.0
Title: Re: Thunder and FRIDAY
Post by: Vox on December 14, 2023, 06:57:40 AM
To clarify,

STEAM & IRON: THE GREAT WAR AT SEA
STEAM & IRON: RUSSO-JAPANESE WAR

Both are available as digital downloads from NWS for $10 each. This price includes each of their respective campaign expansions.
The current updated store link:
https://nws-software.com/products/steam-and-iron-complete

 I find both of these games comprehensive, detailed,  groggy as hell. For more info ,  Tripoli 's AAR is very good and a Armchair General review by Jim Cobb gave a good overview and convinced me.   In.contrast to "Rule the Waves" also by NWS , these games emphasize actual history and  involvement of the player in the operational planning during campaigns.