Hey I bought an A10C plane whey back, but never really got into DCW because I played on a monitor with no eye tracking and could not control plane because I thought it was over complicated.
I watched a youtube recently and found you just cant play combat flying without eye tracking or simular as you have to hunt around the sky for targets. I had a quest 2 so I hooked up with the new app steam link on oculus its free and it worked really well on 5GHz, I heard you can get a 6GHz router but I did not need it, I think because I turn everything eles off and put router 4 ft high.
I was so impressed I watched some more youtube and found you can set keys for auto startup etc... I found you could bind minimum controls for all planes the same buttons on joystick. I first could not fire untill I searched for trigger etc... now I have the basics I could fly and a startup and stop meant i could do missions.
I flew a few A10C instant actions and cashed everytime I tried to turn quickly, but after some practice I found you dont turn at full power and just small inputs worked I could fly without going into tail spin.
I dont know how I did this but I chased an enemy plane in some fantastic jet smoke, I could not really see my gun sight in the sky (going to see if i can change colour). the enemy went low and I could see my sights ok, now I know from sims i played in past to shoot just ahead of target, and Wow got my first kill, the graphics were fantastic as smoke trails and exposions and bits of plane.
I just did not know this was so good with a quest 2 VR headset, I got the thrustmaster setup and throttle for 100 off amazon, you could miss pedals and use twist grip on throttle, after research this is your base stick.
this is my hobby now, thankgod I found it as you dont know untill you get it right, quest 2 is ok and you can get one at argos for 250 now, and the DCS World has a big sale on now, I cant afford anything sadly but I have the A10C and some addons,
My advice is I found your cant play without head tracking or VR as combat really needs it.
steam base DCSWorld is free, but I would recommend a map and A10C and a good set of missions.
PS the helicopters were hard to fly, but i suppose with practice
you can also get the full ww2 experience with spitfires and the channel map, I hope to get these in the future.
Tons of ongoing dcs discussion here...
https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=8074.0
Better late to the party than never!
I know Im late but computers are more powerful now so the graphics are better , so looks great. I thought I would share my suprise at the quality of this, I had played before, but unless you do it right you wont enjoy this sim.
Quote from: crowdrake on February 13, 2024, 11:24:43 AMI know Im late but computers are more powerful now so the graphics are better , so looks great.
Graphics in DCS have always been cutting edge and fantastic. However, recent implementation of Vulkan API, multi-threading and further optimizations by Eagle Dynamics have drastically improved performance allowing a much wider range of players and hardware to take advantage of higher graphics settings.
Quote from: crowdrake on February 13, 2024, 11:24:43 AMI thought I would share my suprise at the quality of this, I had played before, but unless you do it right you wont enjoy this sim.
I'm not sure what "doing it right" means, but in general, doing some due diligence to determine how best to optimize and tweak your settings to make the most out of your hardware will certainly improve the user experience. If you're blown away by a Quest 2, you should try something like a Pimax Crystal or Varjo Aero. You'll never want to climb down from the virtual clouds.
Thats an upgrade I shall put on my list, I want a 6GHz router, network cable, and set of pedals, when i have cash.
doing it right is the head tracking of VR, and a realy good use of my quest 2, but as you say VR could be an upgrade too, and I have given up every thing i do to be in these clouds,
Quote from: crowdrake on February 13, 2024, 11:49:39 AMThats an upgrade I shall put on my list, I want a 6GHz router, network cable, and set of pedals, when i have cash.
doing it right is the head tracking of VR, and a realy good use of my quest 2, but as you say VR could be an upgrade too, and I have given up every thing i do to be in these clouds,
Speaking of pedals, I just picked up the Skywalker from Winwing and am very happy. I was using the MFG Crosswinds previously, which are excellent in their own right, so I won't quite call the Skywalker an "upgrade" since both are fantastic.
VR is pretty divisive in the DCS community. Some people refuse to adopt VR and still swear by pancake mode with traditional head tracking, or now even eye-tracking with the Tobii. I converted to VR very early on once it was supprted in DCS and have never looked back. For me, it was a revolutionary advancement in terms of immersion worth jumping through all the hoops to configure right. You're lucky, since these days, VR is much closer to plug and play in DCS, but back in the day it took a lot of tweaking (I mean hours upon hours) and trial and error, all of which usually had to repeated with each update and even then, it was a constant struggle to maximize clarity while also maintaining appropriate frame rates. it also required spending a lot of money on better GPUs, better CPUs, RAM and the latest VR headsets.
Its a much more user friendly experience now overall.
you have all the upgrade info I need thanks. I have used half my living room as a cockpit :) I want the warthog stick with extension in the future. and the F16 F18 multirole fighters so you can do a lot of dif missions. but VR has made the immersion for me , I feels real . I just bought the super carrier so going to try a landing .
nevermind
Skywalkers look pretty sweet, I like that you can pop off the spring for helos and have built in rudder trim from the damper. Also has a lock out so only the toe brakes work so you can use it with driving sims. This is the kind of design with multi uses that make expensive kit like the skywalkers worth the premium.
I wanted a jostick extension so it felt like a real stick, but they only had the short 50mm, i bought 2 for future, but to my suprise they scew together so very happy. the joystick was on sale ,
I'm blown away every day on this, and I know you say expensive VR and I'm sure it would be better, but the quest 2 is really really good quality so far. and its cordless, I can read menus etc... the clocks I have to lean closer but its not bad.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2024, 12:15:57 PMSome people refuse to adopt VR and still swear by pancake mode with traditional head tracking, or now even eye-tracking with the Tobii.
I still hold out hope that one day, the pancake heads shall be saved from their iniquity and see the light of the headset. The 2D experience is not even remotely comparable.
Quote from: CaptainKoloth on February 16, 2024, 04:49:16 PMQuote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2024, 12:15:57 PMSome people refuse to adopt VR and still swear by pancake mode with traditional head tracking, or now even eye-tracking with the Tobii.
I still hold out hope that one day, the pancake heads shall be saved from their iniquity and see the light of the headset. The 2D experience is not even remotely comparable.
I think if they have invested heavy, and are setup it could be against the flow to convert to VR, but I think for 250 the price of an addon they should add a quest 2, its not perfect but its pretty good. the quest 2 is being replaced by quest 3 so buying one is really good value, they wont be onsale after they are soldout it will be the quest 3.
the south atlantic map is really good flying with snow and rain, I like the flavour of the maps, there not generic, normandy feels like ww2 etc...I also love the basic flight training campange. I like its jets in this sim, its so good having jet smoke,
^The Quest 3 is a big leap ahead of the Quest 2. Only people on an extreme budget should even consider a Quest 2 at this point, and even then, if the budget is that tight, should probably pay the electric bill over buying a VR headset.
the reason i would buy a quest 2 over a quest 3, is i know it comunicates with my setup, i would have to check the q3 has same chips etc...having a wireless VR on DCSW is awsome. I would rather have a Q3 offcourse. the q3 is 30% more powerfull and better optics, so next year, but I like the price of Q2, it would make the diff to try a VR if you dont know if you would like VR, to be honest its a steal at 250. AND most important its doing the job for me , I am happy with it, so affording a better VR is not my main concern right now
its possible that a more powerfull VR would not perform wireless as good, it may need more bandwidth. I suppose its the same as all VR setups comprimise on one thing to improve something else. so its personal choice, I just like the Q2 right now for me, you have top VR on a top system and I agree your having a better time, but I can still afford other things
I would rather spend the diff between a Q2 to a Q3 on a 6Ghz router to improve wireless speed, and a network cable to conect PC to router so to speedup comunication with router. if the Q3 is better dosnt matter if it stutters. maybe the Q3 will be better I just dont know yet, but the power of a VR is not the only consideration, it takes combined thinking. and Q2 are so abundant you could get a second hand one for a lot less.
you prob have a valid reason to upgrade, I suppose I wont know unless i did, its just so good now.
Doesn't the Quest 3 have a battery that will eventually go bad?
Quote from: crowdrake on February 16, 2024, 06:37:45 PMthe reason i would buy a quest 2 over a quest 3, is i know it comunicates with my setup, i would have to check the q3 has same chips etc...having a wireless VR on DCSW is awsome. I would rather have a Q3 offcourse. the q3 is 30% more powerfull and better optics, so next year, but I like the price of Q2, it would make the diff to try a VR if you dont know if you would like VR, to be honest its a steal at 250. AND most important its doing the job for me , I am happy with it, so affording a better VR is not my main concern right now
its possible that a more powerfull VR would not perform wireless as good, it may need more bandwidth. I suppose its the same as all VR setups comprimise on one thing to improve something else. so its personal choice, I just like the Q2 right now for me, you have top VR on a top system and I agree your having a better time, but I can still afford other things
I would rather spend the diff between a Q2 to a Q3 on a 6Ghz router to improve wireless speed, and a network cable to conect PC to router so to speedup comunication with router. if the Q3 is better dosnt matter if it stutters. maybe the Q3 will be better I just dont know yet, but the power of a VR is not the only consideration, it takes combined thinking. and Q2 are so abundant you could get a second hand one for a lot less.
you prob have a valid reason to upgrade, I suppose I wont know unless i did, its just so good now.
There is no comparison between the two headsets really. The ONLY reason to get a Quest 2 is for affordability. On wifi6 a Quest 3 will get 2400mbps. Quest 2 will get 1200mbps at best.
Why are you so hung up on wireless, anyway? You're sitting in a chair. I understand wanting wireless for room scale play, but sitting at desk in a chair? Doesn't make much sense to me why that would be the most important factor. Just my .02.
I did not know the 2400mbps Im sold.
I come from the old days of VR , the setup and wires was awful messing about.
I suppose me being on a budget is not useful to the players, I shall shutup
Quote from: crowdrake on February 17, 2024, 12:06:24 AMwhy dont they make joysticks long like real planes, I know you can extend them, but finding the extensions that match etc... I would rather buy one ready to go, the short joysticks are just not good enough. some planes have short i suppose, but if there going to make a replica why not long. or at least have the extensions to buy with joystick
Because there are just so many configurations out there that it makes most sense to have extensions of various lengths so each pilot can select the best option that works for their pit or set up. Most people mount their HOTAS to a desk so extensions aren't necessary at all. Many mount sticks on the right or left side, also making extensions unnecessary.
There are a lot of options for extensions. Figure out what length you need and buy it. I've purchased some through Amazon that are generic and work with several different models. I just bought a new one a few weeks ago that is compatible with the warthog, Virpil, and winwing. What is your issue with them? They are very easy to install. If tinkering isn't for you, you may want to find a new hobby. LoL
Tweaking your pit is a constant process. It never feels quite finished.
By the way... Word on the street is that the latest oculus update breaks DCS. You'll need to revert back to the prior version.
I have a pimax 5k I will dust if off , I suppose i need a new one likev the crystal
Quote from: crowdrake on February 17, 2024, 11:15:16 AMI have a pimax 5k I will dust if off , I suppose i need a new one likev the crystal
The Crystal is very good. I was off to a bumpy start with it, but after receiving a replacement, I've been very happy. It rivals the Varjo Aero.
Thanks, I know how to proceed. I just saw some vids and some VR sets are really clear.
Ok got the Q3 today, fiddly to setup but not to bad, still felt quality. straight in to DCSW to see diff. well the lenses are so good, everything is clear, and full screen clear, I could read menus as if i was sat at a PC.
Then I got into a mission, the first thing that hit me was the slight stutter that ruined the immersion, so I had to tinker with settings. I have it barely noticable now but Im going to have to find the best settings and watch some youtube. BUT BUT my got the shadows and sunlight are awsome, the cockpit is popping out, the world looks absolutly incredible, I can see how a crystal would work now. the quest 2 was smooth and imersive and was good, but after seeing the detail now Im completely in awe.
the quest 2 only runs at 5GHz wifi, the Quest 3 is 6GHz and a bigger Field of view and resolution, but the new lenses make everything like real life. I definatly am in envy of you with the crystal but to expensive for me.
the cockpit I turned shadows up and nudged a few things down to compensate, but I think the slight stutter is from comunication speed so I am going to check settings on Q3 like refresh rate, I just like it smooth, but I really have it good enough so I can work on it, I just used the Q3 out of the box.
I remember seeing the fight simulators when I was young cost the equivalent of a million pounds today, with VR I now have one as good.
This biggest thing I notice in DCSW is how real the clouds are , and how good it feels to fly through rain and mist. the jet smoke trails are superb.
Quote from: crowdrake on February 21, 2024, 06:37:56 AMOk got the Q3 today, fiddly to setup but not to bad, still felt quality. straight in to DCSW to see diff. well the lenses are so good, everything is clear, and full screen clear, I could read menus as if i was sat at a PC.
Then I got into a mission, the first thing that hit me was the slight stutter that ruined the immersion, so I had to tinker with settings.
Are you using it wirelessly or with the cable?
wireless , I know what you mean it would be better on cabel, I'm ok with it the stutter is just at the edge when i move quick, its not to bad. But I can now play with settings, I have virtual desktop so plenty of things I can set. It truly is amazing
yes tried cable and it worked, BUT you have to set the advanced power settings on PC to stop USB from powering down. I messed about for a hour experimenting what worked and at the end I had a working system, looks great! so glad I upgraded. so much more hassle but once you got the routeen on what steps to take its as fast as wireless. had some wiered effects but managed to set things that fixed it. so could not be happier.
Do you have Oculus Tray Tool? It allows you to make all sorts of changes to your bit rate, which controls how much data is sent to your goggles. Has an effect on stuttering, as well as graphic quality.
In addition, I've been using an oculus quest 2 for years. I didn't notice any problems with the last update in DCS.
I tried getting into VR a couple years ago with Jarhead's recommendation, but my computer was weak. I would get a lot of tearing, which made me extremely nauseous. Once I got it figured out and got a better system, I never looked back. I can't play the game in 2D...it just feels like I'm playing a game whereas VR makes me feel like I'm flying
The only time I miss 2-D is when I'm having problems identifying other aircraft on World War II servers or when trying to find ground targets. The resolution and graphics quality isn't the same level as 2D but I'm using an oculus two. I'm hoping when I get a three that will improve.
Question for those who went from an Oculus 2 to an Oculus3. Was the process as simple as plugging in the 3 and selecting it as the "device" in the Oculus app? Am I going to have to install all new software or something? Also, is there any reason why my performance would drop moving to the 3 if I keep settings the same?
Quote from: mikeck on February 23, 2024, 10:38:24 AMQuestion for those who went from an Oculus 2 to an Oculus3. Was the process as simple as plugging in the 3 and selecting it as the "device" in the Oculus app? Am I going to have to install all new software or something? Also, is there any reason why my performance would drop moving to the 3 if I keep settings the same?
It's simple, but because it is a Meta product, you do need to link it to your app on a device like a smart phone or tablet. For me, that was the only quasi-pain in the ass in getting it set up. I hate Meta. But, they do make great budget VR headsets.
Quest 3 setup you use same app on your phone as quest 2, but as JH said its a pain, but it still was easy just trying to get your headset to detect your phone took a few attempts.
everything software wise for the Q3 is the same for Q2, so whatever way you connect to PC will be the same
The cable only makes it slightly better, easily could use on wireless if you have a good network 6GHz, had to adjust a few things but its possible,
the stutter I had has gone, but had to adjust things until I got it right. it was more about how much data you can pump to the Q3 rather than its performance, the Q2 coped, but Q3 was pumping to much, so adjusting settings allowed the Q3 to function, but the quality upgrade was worth it
the q3 has better lenses so same performance as q2 will improve , the resolution is slightly bigger , but the q3 is more powerful, I had to drop some performance settings ,but the lenses Made it much much better looking, you will be amazed, Oh I also increased some things like clouds.
thanks for Tray Tool info.
mikeck the biggest change is that slight blurryness you get on menus or on the aircraft clocks has almost gone, its much more clear. its exactly the same as putting glasses on in real life