GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Grim.Reaper on February 15, 2024, 05:21:29 AM

Title: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 15, 2024, 05:21:29 AM
This one sneaked up on me, looks like remaster coming out in 28th.  Don't think I had a chance to play the original, so likely will pick up especially with controller support and ability to play on modern resolutions.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2292260/STAR_WARS_Dark_Forces_Remaster/
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: CaptainKoloth on February 15, 2024, 10:42:41 AM
For the community's awareness there is also a great open source remake of Dark Forces already (DarkXL (https://youtu.be/bSijk0RSyJg?si=6SuC8BoFS_2UsWiO)), and half the time (or more) these community projects end up outshining official remasters anyway. Hopefully this one is good.
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Destraex on February 15, 2024, 04:37:02 PM
Very cool. Snuck up on me so much I did not see it coming. We are lucky to have remasters. I remember the music in dark forces being especially cool, adjusting itself to the levels of danger.
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 27, 2024, 07:03:54 PM
Releases tomorrow, rumors suggest a $30 price tag.  Below is a nice video to see what you will be getting.  Since I really never played the first one, I'll likely pick it up but not keeping my expectations in check.

Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Gusington on February 27, 2024, 08:41:22 PM
Yeah I never played the original either so I will definitely get it.
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 27, 2024, 09:07:17 PM
It was great in its day. I do not think it will hold up well by today's standards though. Easy pass for me for now.
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2024, 10:04:48 PM
kind of amazing what an imagination can fill in.
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: al_infierno on February 27, 2024, 10:22:13 PM
Seems fairly unessential compared to the System Shock 1 remake, imo.
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Destraex on February 28, 2024, 04:19:26 AM
Yeah. I know people who will get it to relive the campaigns. I think it is being sold as a pack with SW Battlegrounds 1 & 2. The peeps I know mainly want the latter. I have really good memories of Dark Forces. The sounds were amazing and it really got the blood pumping. But without modern features I don't think I could do the campaign I already know again. Plus star wars is all but ruined for me now by disney.

Give me more BOLT GUN. :) I think space marine 2 is too high profile to do it proper like.
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 28, 2024, 05:05:01 AM
Quote from: Destraex on February 28, 2024, 04:19:26 AMYeah. I know people who will get it to relive the campaigns. I think it is being sold as a pack with SW Battlegrounds 1 & 2. The peeps I know mainly want the latter. I have really good memories of Dark Forces. The sounds were amazing and it really got the blood pumping. But without modern features I don't think I could do the campaign I already know again. Plus star wars is all but ruined for me now by disney.

Give me more BOLT GUN. :) I think space marine 2 is too high profile to do it proper like.

I haven't read anywhere that Dark Forces Remastered being bundled with the Battlefront Classic games.  There is a release of the classic versions of Battlefront 1 & 2 coming on March 14th.  Guess it's possible at that time maybe they will create some sort of bundles, but don't think that is happening on release of Dark Forces.  Although for the Battlefront Classic collection, they already have packages you can buy and not listed (prior owners do get a discount).

If I had played the original Dark Forces (own it, never played), probably wouldn't buy the remaster myself but since I didn't, personally think the fact the graphics are better for modern computers (certainly still not great) and they included controller support, I think I will get some fun out of it.  Plus, believe they did add a previously unreleased level.  Certainly maintaining my expectations.
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Gusington on February 28, 2024, 06:21:25 AM
Same with me. It will be totally new for me, no matter what.
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Redwolf on February 28, 2024, 08:18:24 AM
I played the original to a certain degree, but not very far. Color me interested.
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 28, 2024, 08:21:39 AM
Released now, $29.99 as expected.  Later today will buy and install.
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Father Ted on February 28, 2024, 11:52:13 AM
I never played this, but I always remember it because it made my young son cry when he bought it - he was so disappointed that he'd spent his pocket money on such a clunky-looking game.  This was about 15 years ago, so I'm obviously not talking about this re-mastered version
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Destraex on February 28, 2024, 04:16:09 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 28, 2024, 05:05:01 AM
Quote from: Destraex on February 28, 2024, 04:19:26 AMYeah. I know people who will get it to relive the campaigns. I think it is being sold as a pack with SW Battlegrounds 1 & 2. The peeps I know mainly want the latter. I have really good memories of Dark Forces. The sounds were amazing and it really got the blood pumping. But without modern features I don't think I could do the campaign I already know again. Plus star wars is all but ruined for me now by disney.

Give me more BOLT GUN. :) I think space marine 2 is too high profile to do it proper like.

I haven't read anywhere that Dark Forces Remastered being bundled with the Battlefront Classic games.  There is a release of the classic versions of Battlefront 1 & 2 coming on March 14th.  Guess it's possible at that time maybe they will create some sort of bundles, but don't think that is happening on release of Dark Forces.  Although for the Battlefront Classic collection, they already have packages you can buy and not listed (prior owners do get a discount).

If I had played the original Dark Forces (own it, never played), probably wouldn't buy the remaster myself but since I didn't, personally think the fact the graphics are better for modern computers (certainly still not great) and they included controller support, I think I will get some fun out of it.  Plus, believe they did add a previously unreleased level.  Certainly maintaining my expectations.

Happy enough to trust you on that as my source was simply word of mouth from somebody less reliable.
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 28, 2024, 05:38:17 PM
Quote from: Destraex on February 28, 2024, 04:16:09 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 28, 2024, 05:05:01 AM
Quote from: Destraex on February 28, 2024, 04:19:26 AMYeah. I know people who will get it to relive the campaigns. I think it is being sold as a pack with SW Battlegrounds 1 & 2. The peeps I know mainly want the latter. I have really good memories of Dark Forces. The sounds were amazing and it really got the blood pumping. But without modern features I don't think I could do the campaign I already know again. Plus star wars is all but ruined for me now by disney.

Give me more BOLT GUN. :) I think space marine 2 is too high profile to do it proper like.

I haven't read anywhere that Dark Forces Remastered being bundled with the Battlefront Classic games.  There is a release of the classic versions of Battlefront 1 & 2 coming on March 14th.  Guess it's possible at that time maybe they will create some sort of bundles, but don't think that is happening on release of Dark Forces.  Although for the Battlefront Classic collection, they already have packages you can buy and not listed (prior owners do get a discount).

If I had played the original Dark Forces (own it, never played), probably wouldn't buy the remaster myself but since I didn't, personally think the fact the graphics are better for modern computers (certainly still not great) and they included controller support, I think I will get some fun out of it.  Plus, believe they did add a previously unreleased level.  Certainly maintaining my expectations.

Happy enough to trust you on that as my source was simply word of mouth from somebody less reliable.

Don't even have to trust me, release was today without any bundles:)
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: crowdrake on February 28, 2024, 10:57:12 PM
When this game came out, it shocked how good the stormtroopers models looked, it was after doom. If i remember i was stuck on level 1 or 2 for ages could not find the exit.
Title: Re: Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28
Post by: Destraex on March 01, 2024, 02:37:34 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 28, 2024, 05:38:17 PM
Quote from: Destraex on February 28, 2024, 04:16:09 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 28, 2024, 05:05:01 AM
Quote from: Destraex on February 28, 2024, 04:19:26 AMYeah. I know people who will get it to relive the campaigns. I think it is being sold as a pack with SW Battlegrounds 1 & 2. The peeps I know mainly want the latter. I have really good memories of Dark Forces. The sounds were amazing and it really got the blood pumping. But without modern features I don't think I could do the campaign I already know again. Plus star wars is all but ruined for me now by disney.

Give me more BOLT GUN. :) I think space marine 2 is too high profile to do it proper like.

I haven't read anywhere that Dark Forces Remastered being bundled with the Battlefront Classic games.  There is a release of the classic versions of Battlefront 1 & 2 coming on March 14th.  Guess it's possible at that time maybe they will create some sort of bundles, but don't think that is happening on release of Dark Forces.  Although for the Battlefront Classic collection, they already have packages you can buy and not listed (prior owners do get a discount).

If I had played the original Dark Forces (own it, never played), probably wouldn't buy the remaster myself but since I didn't, personally think the fact the graphics are better for modern computers (certainly still not great) and they included controller support, I think I will get some fun out of it.  Plus, believe they did add a previously unreleased level.  Certainly maintaining my expectations.

Happy enough to trust you on that as my source was simply word of mouth from somebody less reliable.

Don't even have to trust me, release was today without any bundles:)
Yeah. My relative must have been thinking of the two battlefronts they are remastering being sold together.