GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: MIGMaster on September 04, 2012, 06:48:25 AM

Title: Quebec Election
Post by: MIGMaster on September 04, 2012, 06:48:25 AM
Any guesses on who will win ? Given the widepsread corruption of the government contract process, I figured big business would keep Charest in power ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/09/03/f-quebec-election.html
Title: Re: Quebec Election
Post by: Barthheart on September 04, 2012, 06:59:30 AM
Big business certainly does not want the PQ in power with their separatist rhetoric and beefing up of Bill 101.  :P

How they get any support at all is a mystery to me. I mean, sure the rural uneducated farming populous get sucked in by all their wacko promises but they have to know that they just can't afford to go it alone....
Title: Re: Quebec Election
Post by: Arctic Blast on September 04, 2012, 10:26:12 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on September 04, 2012, 06:59:30 AM
Big business certainly does not want the PQ in power with their separatist rhetoric and beefing up of Bill 101.  :P

How they get any support at all is a mystery to me. I mean, sure the rural uneducated farming populous get sucked in by all their wacko promises but they have to know that they just can't afford to go it alone....

And more to the point, why would they go it alone? As things stand, they get massive amounts of transfer dollars funding basically everything they want anyway.
Title: Re: Quebec Election
Post by: Bison on September 04, 2012, 11:09:30 PM
I enjoyed my drive through Alberta.  Fairly free of French signs for the bathroom at gas stations.
Title: Re: Quebec Election
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 04, 2012, 11:13:40 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on September 04, 2012, 10:26:12 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on September 04, 2012, 06:59:30 AM
Big business certainly does not want the PQ in power with their separatist rhetoric and beefing up of Bill 101.  :P

How they get any support at all is a mystery to me. I mean, sure the rural uneducated farming populous get sucked in by all their wacko promises but they have to know that they just can't afford to go it alone....

And more to the point, why would they go it alone? As things stand, they get massive amounts of transfer dollars finding basically everything they want anyway.

Mass delusions can be fun!

On a certain level, I can respect Quebec though.  They don't like the direction things are going in Canada with free trade and selling out the future prosperity of the country in favour of short term gain so they want out.  Thing is, I think that too much of their manufacturing base has already been dismantled for them to make a go of it and still maintain the level of social services they desire.  I really don't think most realize just how much they get from Ottawa.  Oh well.  I'm not fussed either way.
Title: Re: Quebec Election
Post by: Arctic Blast on September 04, 2012, 11:40:28 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 04, 2012, 11:09:30 PM
I enjoyed my drive through Alberta.  Fairly free of French signs for the bathroom at gas stations.

You must have not come near Beaumont. They're 100% French & English.

Fun fact that proves we're a bunch of rubes in Alberta : I live in Leduc. The high school here and the one in Beaumont had an actual, years long running feud. Like every year as the fair rolled in to town, a mob of high schoolers from each town would show up and rumble. It was like the goddamn Outsiders or something.
Title: Re: Quebec Election
Post by: MIGMaster on September 05, 2012, 06:50:38 AM
Wow....things got pretty ugly !

http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/132664-bathrobe-clad-man-62-identified-as-shooting-suspect
Title: Re: Quebec Election
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 05, 2012, 11:16:49 AM
Canadistan has elections?!

I thought you had kings and queens and princess stuff.
Title: Re: Quebec Election
Post by: Centurion40 on September 05, 2012, 12:07:23 PM
Quote from: MIGMaster on September 05, 2012, 06:50:38 AM
Wow....things got pretty ugly !

http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/132664-bathrobe-clad-man-62-identified-as-shooting-suspect

Great.  A 62 year-old wing-nut in housecoat sure knows how to make Quebec politics even more interesting.

Quote
Police say Richard Henry Bain from Mont Tremblant is the suspected gunman who left a 48-year-old man dead and another man critically wounded outside a Parti Québécois election victory party last night.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/09/05/mtl-pq-victory-rally-attack.html
Title: Re: Quebec Election
Post by: Windigo on September 05, 2012, 03:50:23 PM
minority government. Good luck with the separatist agenda
Title: Re: Quebec Election
Post by: MIGMaster on September 05, 2012, 08:08:25 PM
I was thinking they may ban bathrobes.... they're clearly linked to gun violence.
Title: Re: Quebec Election
Post by: Windigo on September 06, 2012, 01:18:37 AM
Quote from: MIGMaster on September 05, 2012, 08:08:25 PM
I was thinking they may ban bathrobes.... they're clearly linked to gun violence.
bathrobes don't kill people