GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on April 30, 2024, 01:15:35 PM

Title: Steam Refund Policy Changes
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 30, 2024, 01:15:35 PM
I don't see this effecting much, but it is worth reporting.

Apparently, prior to this update in the policy, time spent playing in titles released into "Advanced Access" was not counted toward the two-hour playtime maximum for the refund grace period. The updated policy changes this so Advanced Access time will be counted. Advanced Access is distinguished from early access in that Advanced Access allows users that have pre-purchased a game to play prior to the game's official release. For example, a "deluxe" pre-purchase version may include Advanced Access. Unlike Early Access, Advanced Access is not a unique model of development for a game, it's simply an opportunity to play a game before it fully releases on Steam.

In any event...figured some might be interest in having this information.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/593110/view/4195741362094579140 (https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/593110/view/4195741362094579140)
Title: Re: Steam Refund Policy Changes
Post by: rss334 on April 30, 2024, 02:21:35 PM
Thanks, I did not even know this about advanced access.   Hate to admit but I'm sort of into refunds on steam :nono2: 

I've bought so many games and probably refunded about 80% of them, all legit for various reasons text too small, poor performance, too early in EA .....   so while I refund most of what I buy it's within the rules they set forth.   Honestly, I'm surprised they have not kicked me off the platform by now or removed my ability to refund games.

This refund policy however keeps me buying games on steam, I appreciate it kind of like test driving a car before you commit to buying it.   
Title: Re: Steam Refund Policy Changes
Post by: Skoop on April 30, 2024, 02:23:31 PM
Call me an idiot, but I wish I had know that prior, I probably would have tried some games and put some real time in before refund to really see if I like it.
Title: Re: Steam Refund Policy Changes
Post by: W8taminute on April 30, 2024, 03:27:07 PM
Oh wow. 

So all I'm taking away from this policy change is that if you thought you could play for free under the Advanced Access before returning a game you cannot do this any longer. 

IOW "the man"TM is protecting his interest by taking away a consumer loop hole. 

I think I would be ok with this change but I wish they would increase the time to try before returning from 2 hours to 4 hours.  Some games require at least 4 or more hours before you can legitimately say I like or not.
Title: Re: Steam Refund Policy Changes
Post by: Skoop on April 30, 2024, 07:04:48 PM
That's for sure true, 2 hours is not enough.  4 would be a good step in the right direction for forming an impression of like or not.
Title: Re: Steam Refund Policy Changes
Post by: Uberhaus on April 30, 2024, 09:53:41 PM
Steam let me refund a game at 2 hours 15 minutes, but it was the only game I have ever refunded and I explained that I was trying over and over to get past a crash that was happening with a cutscene.

Imagine my surprise and horror to learn that my son: my only child, was cutoff by Steam from further refunds in a year after doing it one to many times.  I only have my self to blame.
Title: Re: Steam Refund Policy Changes
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 30, 2024, 11:06:05 PM
It's nice that there seems to be some element of discretion in the refund process and it is not always enforced as a hard rule. An actual person seems to be reviewing the refund request and deciding based on a few factors like frequency of requests and the reasons offered for them. This is a pleasant surprise in this day and age.
Title: Re: Steam Refund Policy Changes
Post by: Destraex on April 30, 2024, 11:33:58 PM
Sounds fine to me. I also think 2hrs is enough time time as a general rule. There is just so much to draw on in the media before pressing the buy button that all you should really be testing is whether it works on your computer before refunding.

Faulty games with crash issues is a different kettle of fish.
Title: Re: Steam Refund Policy Changes
Post by: Father Ted on May 01, 2024, 12:49:41 PM
Quote from: Destraex on April 30, 2024, 11:33:58 PMSounds fine to me. I also think 2hrs is enough time time as a general rule. There is just so much to draw on in the media before pressing the buy button that all you should really be testing is whether it works on your computer before refunding.

Faulty games with crash issues is a different kettle of fish.

I agree entirely. You wouldn't expect to be able to return a book or a downloaded film because you didn't like it.  I confess I have taken advantage of Valve's generosity a few times, but usually I only do it if a game doesn't play nice with my PC - which is something I couldn't find out from a review or Let's Play vid.
Title: Re: Steam Refund Policy Changes
Post by: ArizonaTank on May 01, 2024, 02:53:50 PM
Honestly, I was always surprised that the refund policy was as generous as it was. I think I have only used it twice. 
Title: Re: Steam Refund Policy Changes
Post by: rss334 on May 01, 2024, 07:04:16 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on May 01, 2024, 02:53:50 PMHonestly, I was always surprised that the refund policy was as generous as it was. I think I have only used it twice. 

haha I think I used it 3 times .......... in one day!