Company of Heroes 3 is 50% off and free to try until may 13th for those who may want a look. I really enjoy it still. There are some features lole tank riding snd towing i'd really miss if I went back to the old ones.
I put this here as a new topic because I lnow coh3 is struggling for players and relic had a poor initial release I think it was over a year ago now with layoffs and such. Additionally men of war II is about to release which would be it's main competition.
Now the console version has been dropped. " One of those decisions is that moving forward, we will no longer be releasing further updates for the Company of Heroes 3 Console Edition. The team will still conduct regular server maintenance and, if need be, make any critical game fixes should an issue arise in the future. This was an incredibly difficult decision to make, but one we felt was necessary for our future success given the new reality we find ourselves in. The CoH3 Console Edition will remain available for any players that wish to play it on PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X or S.
We will be targeting a hot fix for the Console Edition as soon as possible to remove the erroneous Havok license warning pop-up. "
Company of Heroes 3 is free to play until march 10 if anybody wants to give it a go. A few of us are still having a lot of fun with this ww2 title. I consider it to be on par with the other two. Things I like about 3 better than the other titles:
* directional armour
* penetration distance calculations
* towing of all static heavy weapons
* tank riding on all medium and heavy tanks.
* soldier skin unlocks
* building breach assault mechanic
* height advantage bonus
* AA shoot down of aircraft - not sure if this was in the others?
* very long stand off ranges of large calibre weapons with scouting enhancing this. Coh3 does not feel like tanks are fighting at infantry ranges but rather at much further out, almost double the range.
Quote from: Destraex on March 06, 2025, 02:59:41 PMCompany of Heroes 3 is free to play until march 10 if anybody wants to give it a go. A few of us are still having a lot of fun with this ww2 title. I consider it to be on par with the other two. Things I like about 3 better than the other titles:
* directional armour
* penetration distance calculations
* towing of all static heavy weapons
* tank riding on all medium and heavy tanks.
* soldier skin unlocks
* building breach assault mechanic
* height advantage bonus
* AA shoot down of aircraft - not sure if this was in the others?
* very long stand off ranges of large calibre weapons with scouting enhancing this. Coh3 does not feel like tanks are fighting at infantry ranges but rather at much further out, almost double the range.
Thanks, wanted to try this one since it came out but never bought it.
Glad to be of service. Enjoy!
Coop and Single missions or even the strat map campaign are great fun.
I got to try it, not a bad game and if you like companies of hero's game no reason not to like this one. I thought the campaign map was going to be much more involved, but it's pretty simplistic. Only made it about half way up Italy so far, the first part of the campaign being scripted sucked but it opened up after that. I guess the game to directly compare this to would be gates of hell which I think I like better simply because it seems more strategic and intense. What I did like about company of heroes 3 though is the campaign map, just wish there was more to it. Even though gates of hell dynamic campaigns are not as pretty they seem to have more impactful choices too.
Again not a bad game but it was the sort of game, that at least for me, made me appreciate gates of hell more and want to go back and play it. Appreciate they gave a free weekend I'm sure a lot of people will buy in after playing it.
Does it have a speed mode so you can slow it down? I could never play it full speed.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 08, 2025, 02:35:58 AMDoes it have a speed mode so you can slow it down? I could never play it full speed.
I use Cheat Engine with Speedhack for games that don't have a speed mode.
It looks complex but when you only use it to control the speed it is rather easy.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 08, 2025, 02:35:58 AMDoes it have a speed mode so you can slow it down? I could never play it full speed.
Single player in any mode has a pause to give orders mode by pressing space bar iirc
I like gates of hell as well but find it has a few core issues for me that make it 2 dimensional and feel rather claustrophobic. Battles are always the same. Generally uncoordinated messes when I play.
In coh I find it easy to flank and ise strategic assets. I just have no situational awareness in gates of hell.
They do have something called tactical pause which allows you to queue orders:
(https://i.imgur.com/8p773h8.png)
Quote from: Destraex on March 08, 2025, 05:59:39 AMI like gates of hell as well but find it has a few core issues for me that make it 2 dimensional and feel rather claustrophobic. Battles are always the same. Generally uncoordinated messes when I play.
In coh I find it easy to flank and ise strategic assets. I just have no situational awareness in gates of hell.
That's interesting. I feel totally the opposite. GOH feels much more tactical to me. COH is a mob fest.
Personally I think it comes down to the way units are handled between the two games in regards to which one people find more fun. company of heroes the squads are smaller and stay together which I find makes the game easier to control. In gates of hell it can get pretty chaotic but control is more granular regarding the squads and units leading to more strategic ways to play, but at the cost of a lot more micro which some people don't care for. Neither game is bad, I think it just comes down to a preference of feel around combat and unit movement as to which one people enjoy more. Graphically they are both beautiful games.
Quote from: rss334 on March 08, 2025, 11:14:21 AMPersonally I think it comes down to the way units are handled between the two games in regards to which one people find more fun. company of heroes the squads are smaller and stay together which I find makes the game easier to control. In gates of hell it can get pretty chaotic but control is more granular regarding the squads and units leading to more strategic ways to play, but at the cost of a lot more micro which some people don't care for. Neither game is bad, I think it just comes down to a preference of feel around combat and unit movement as to which one people enjoy more. Graphically they are both beautiful games.
For me, the deciding factor is historical realism. I don't think it can be argued that GOH incorporates much more historical and tactical realism than COH. It models ballistics and penetration, simulates armor layouts, internal components of vehicles, the ability to disable tracks, guns and turrets, supply of fuel and ammunition, and I personally find the pacing much better. Its much easier for me to manage my troops on the battlefield. While I agree, both games look good, I think GOH has a much more authentic and detailed look and this appeals much more to me.
I am enjoying COH 3 now though. This thread encouraged me to reinstall!
Jar, I think what rss said is key. COH3 allows me to get a fluid assault going with flanking, bounding to cover and combined arms quickly and easily with disparate trooptypes. I don't have to mess with the details and can concentrate on fighting, building and upgrade paths.
Gates of Hell is a much more deliberate slower experience that has much less chaos, but a lot more micro management as well. Weapons in GOH are more accurate and tend to be faster to kill if you get caught in the open, squads are harder to manage especially if you separate them and need to get them back together to move from a position. They can easily die if you do not micro them through the right stances and paths back to thier commander.
Gates of Hell is definitely all you say and I will probably have a crack at it again at some point. Gates of Hell has more historical armor layouts and physical components. Company of Heroes you can disable tracks, but it is via a much more deliberate skill that troops either have or they don't. In Gates of Hell i'd say it's just random unless your down in the aiming mode. If you're in the aiming mode then I wonder whether you've considered if the enemy has that advantage? Where in coh3 the AI can definitely use the "skill" to disable a track, I doubt Gates of Hell AI does it with any deliberate strategy in mind. This all means that even though the damage model is very detailed, that most things come down to luck rather than player strategy. Is this a bad thing? Not in my book, but it does take a lot of control out of the players hands, which a lot of players hate.
I remember really liking gates of hell apart but not liking that most heavy weapons like tank guns fired well behind the fog of war so that you could not see them. My vehicles would blow up without me knowing where or why. Not a puff of smoke or anything. This is realistic if it was a lone unit. But if you have a lot of units and nobody sees the direction of fire or the perpetrator, that makes it harder to take. I think you could see it on the minimap, but that never connected for me with the 3D action.
I also liked the building combat in gates of hell as buildings were super detailed inside.
Gates of Hell though tended to have very flat uninteresting terrain in general and the maps always felt small because of this. Like everything could basically fire on everything almost from start positions. I don't own the expansions though so this might have changed. Company of Heroes though, realistically or not tends to have a lot of terrain variety and thus a lot of small localised fights going on. Where Gates of Hell was generally one focal point. I found Gate of Hell to be much more about sitting back and shooting fish in a barrel, in a lot of games their would be lines of dead enemy tanks that had come down the same entry road and been blown to pieces with my tank flanking the road. Ammunition being the primary concern. Coh I find myself using combined arms to outflank machine guns etc in very short order, get past it and quickly move on.
Another point here would be that in company of heroes the whole map is usually alive where in gates of hell most of the time it's about small forces accidentally running into each other after travelling for a decent time.
I will have to try gates of hell again. Situational awareness was my main problem with it. I think I would go to Combat Mission cmx2 as a better game that has most of the same detail enabling easier unit movement and player awareness while keeping the realism of gates of hell.
Getting to 10,000 players yesterday which was a good sign, usually their are less than 2,000 players concurrently. Because I really want to see Relic survive. It's probably one of the last North American (Canadian) companies left making RTS games. Gates of Hell for example I think is Eastern European?
(https://i.imgur.com/pEJZ7GR.png)
Is the free trail on Steam?
I couldn't get on with it. Too fast and frenetic. Also the explosions rocking the screen did my head in.
Not for me in afraid
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 09, 2025, 11:29:30 AMI couldn't get on with it. Too fast and frenetic. Also the explosions rocking the screen did my head in.
Not for me in afraid
I certainly understand that pace issue you have. The explosions rocking the screen I have never noticed but can probably be turned off.
Is there a way to reinforce depleted units without bringing them back to the HQ? Like is there a medic unit?
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 09, 2025, 06:15:04 PMIs there a way to reinforce depleted units without bringing them back to the HQ? Like is there a medic unit?
Most half tracks or trucks can reman team weapons, reenforce squads and when upgraded heal squads. An exception would be the africa corp small half truck which only has a toggle based heal ability.
Additionally some battlegroup or faction abilities allow you to build reenforcement points on resource caches or medical tents nearer to the front. Usually the advantage of this second more static option is that you can toggle it as a retreat endpoint for your men.
Another advantage this time specific to the medical tent is that iirc medics roam the field picking up casualties and bringing them back to be used as free reinforcements next time you use the tent.
I should also mention that you can reinforce in battle but cannot heal in battle. There is a cool down after combat before healing can take place.
So for anyone that wants to try Gates of Hell it's on Steam for 3.49 during the spring sale. That is pretty amazing price.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/400750/Call_to_Arms__Gates_of_Hell_Ostfront/
Quote from: rss334 on March 13, 2025, 09:07:37 PMSo for anyone that wants to try Gates of Hell it's on Steam for 3.49 during the spring sale. That is pretty amazing price.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/400750/Call_to_Arms__Gates_of_Hell_Ostfront/
I actually bought this yesterday.
Quote from: rss334 on March 13, 2025, 09:07:37 PMSo for anyone that wants to try Gates of Hell it's on Steam for 3.49 during the spring sale. That is pretty amazing price.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/400750/Call_to_Arms__Gates_of_Hell_Ostfront/
Wow. That is anazing.