GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Wburn on June 12, 2024, 04:27:21 PM

Title: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Wburn on June 12, 2024, 04:27:21 PM
Hey folks. I'd like to post a question about Jutland by SES. The website is no longer functioning because the certificate is expired. Has anyone heard if this company is still in business? I own both Distant Guns and Jutland. Before this happened, there would be a prompt stating that there would be a key to unlock the games if there was a business failure. Anyone have any knowledge about this, or know how I can contact the company?
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Gusington on June 12, 2024, 04:41:58 PM
I owned Distant Guns years and years ago but have not heard any useful info on Storm Eagle Studios in years, sorry.

If it's any consolation, we are not the only ones who have been discussing this, for a long time.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=286666
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Destraex on June 12, 2024, 05:52:17 PM
Would be great if he just threw them on stream and threw all users a steam key. These were really good games.
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Gusington on June 12, 2024, 07:21:55 PM
Maybe  one day...until then there are alternatives. Like Rule the Waves, Steam and Iron, and Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnaughts  :ThumbsUp:
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Wburn on June 12, 2024, 08:16:06 PM
Yeah, well, I'm starting to doubt if there's a future for these games. I hope the developers follow through with their promise to provide keys to unlock them.
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Redwolf on June 12, 2024, 08:45:08 PM
You can probably find Norm Koger on Linkedin.
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Destraex on June 12, 2024, 08:50:25 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 12, 2024, 07:21:55 PMMaybe  one day...until then there are alternatives. Like Rule the Waves, Steam and Iron, and Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnaughts  :ThumbsUp:
With its damage system and visualisation as well as it's campaign representation in real time as well as general atmosphere. I don't think any of those alternatives have the right balance.
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Gusington on June 12, 2024, 09:44:18 PM
UA:Dreadnaughts is what Distant Guns/Jutland always wanted to be and then some.
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Destraex on June 12, 2024, 10:26:43 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 12, 2024, 09:44:18 PMUA:Dreadnaughts is what Distant Guns/Jutland always wanted to be and then some.
Dreadnaughts is historical, has real time jutland sized fleet battles, has a real time campaign and simulates a specific historical campaign theatre and allows you to organise fleet formations in dock? I have not been keeping up with dreadnoughts for years now,  but don't remember feeling the historical vibe storm eagle studios games had.

Ses jutland always felt more simulation than dreadnoughts did.
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Rekim on June 12, 2024, 10:55:20 PM
Shocked to see that the SteamPowered store can still be accessed;

https://store.stormeaglestudios.com/home
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 13, 2024, 05:24:03 AM
Quote from: Rekim on June 12, 2024, 10:55:20 PMShocked to see that the SteamPowered store can still be accessed;

https://store.stormeaglestudios.com/home

Although my security software throws up a warning because they have outdated security certificate so even is someone wanted to buy something, probably not a good idea until the fix the security problem:)  Luckily I have never and would never buy anything from there anyway.
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: CaptainKoloth on June 13, 2024, 11:55:45 AM
Unfortunately they were always obsessed with selling their games on their broken, forgotten StormPowered platform (complete with intrusive malware DRM) rather than putting the games on Steam or GOG where someone might, you know, actually notice and buy them.
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: bobarossa on June 13, 2024, 01:41:29 PM
Yeah, I loved Norm Koger games going all the way back to Stellar Crusade on my Atari 800.  I wouldn't have hesitated to buy Jutland if it didn't have that obnoxious DRM.
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Redwolf on June 13, 2024, 01:50:58 PM
What was the name of Norm's sidekick? That one was obnoxious.

To this day I can't believe that Norm Koger made a game that I didn't buy.
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 13, 2024, 01:57:00 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on June 13, 2024, 01:50:58 PMWhat was the name of Norm's sidekick? That one was obnoxious.

To this day I can't believe that Norm Koger made a game that I didn't buy.

Maybe Jim Rose?
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: Old TImer on June 13, 2024, 02:03:56 PM
I don't remember this game as fondly as some of you guys.
What I do remember is the ridiculous DRM that treated you
like a pirate instead of a paying customer. I loved Norm
Koger back in the day.  He hitched his wagon to the wrong
star with this debacle.
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: bobarossa on June 13, 2024, 04:39:50 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 13, 2024, 01:57:00 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on June 13, 2024, 01:50:58 PMWhat was the name of Norm's sidekick? That one was obnoxious.

To this day I can't believe that Norm Koger made a game that I didn't buy.

Maybe Jim Rose?
Jim Rose was the 'businessman' to Norm's game designer.  Jim certainly gave Norm the business. 
Title: Re: Storm Eagle Studios
Post by: solops on June 13, 2024, 09:54:08 PM
Results appeared to be sub-optimal