GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: greengiant on June 23, 2024, 03:48:47 AM

Title: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: greengiant on June 23, 2024, 03:48:47 AM
Hey you beautiful people, been a while since my Iwo Jima AAR thread.

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a tutorial or tutorial series to help teach me how to play HoI IV? The in-game tutorial is rather Spartan. There are so many on Youtube and my time is rather limited, so if you have a recommendation for someone you know does a good job teaching I'd be most appreciative.

On another note, I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a naval wargame?

Rule the Waves 3 made it to Steam a while back and it's been on my wish list for sometime, but perhaps there are other recommendations out there? I could kick myself for not remembering to wish list a title I spotted a few days ago. II forget the title now, but the dev has already released a hex and counters grand WW2 game a while back, and they just followed up with a release that focuses on the naval aspects. But yeah, forgot to wish list it and now I can't recall the name! GAAH!

Anyways, hope you are all doing well!
Title: Re: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 23, 2024, 04:39:17 AM
Ian C is one of our experts on HOI IV. Hopefully, he'll see this and chime in. In the meantime, we have a bunch of HOI threads, but this one seems to be the longest running.

https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16963.msg689231#msg689231 (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16963.msg689231#msg689231)

There are so many great tutorial series videos on YouTube, I'm certain some of them have to be linked in that thread. Check it out.
Title: Re: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: devoncop on June 23, 2024, 05:28:51 AM
Hi GG

The game you forgot to wishlist MAY be Strategic Command Pacific Theatre ?

Bill Hubert who develops the Strategic Command series did a World at War version a while back as well as WW1 and West Front versions.

I have not played the Pacific game but traditionally the naval game has been the weakest element in the series so it will be interesting to see if this is in any way sorted.
Title: Re: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: greengiant on June 23, 2024, 07:02:56 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 23, 2024, 04:39:17 AMIan C is one of our experts on HOI IV. Hopefully, he'll see this and chime in. In the meantime, we have a bunch of HOI threads, but this one seems to be the longest running.

https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16963.msg689231#msg689231 (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16963.msg689231#msg689231)

There are so many great tutorial series videos on YouTube, I'm certain some of them have to be linked in that thread. Check it out.

Thanks Jarhead, I've been going over that thread and already discovered a ton of helpful info.

Quote from: devoncop on June 23, 2024, 05:28:51 AMHi GG

The game you forgot to wishlist MAY be Strategic Command Pacific Theatre ?

Bill Hubert who develops the Strategic Command series did a World at War version a while back as well as WW1 and West Front versions.

I have not played the Pacific game but traditionally the naval game has been the weakest element in the series so it will be interesting to see if this is in any way sorted.

Ah yes, I admit that that title is already on my wish list (as are almost all the other SC games), but the good news is I did find what I was looking for; the series is called War Plan, and the new one is War Plan Pacific. I wonder if anyone here has given either a bash yet?

Back to Strategic Command series, the one thing that bugged me no end (especially the massive amount of land each hex typically represents in the SC games) is no counter stacking allowed. I had an opportunity to play test SC WW2 and that specific feature bugged me no end, which is a pity because the SC games are gorgeous!
Title: Re: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: solops on June 23, 2024, 12:07:58 PM
Quote from: greengiant on June 23, 2024, 03:48:47 AMI forget the title now, but the dev has already released a hex and counters grand WW2 game a while back, and they just followed up with a release that focuses on the naval aspects. But yeah, forgot to wish list it and now I can't recall the name! GAAH!

Destiny of the World?
Title: Re: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: greengiant on June 23, 2024, 04:09:10 PM
Quote from: solops on June 23, 2024, 12:07:58 PM
Quote from: greengiant on June 23, 2024, 03:48:47 AMI forget the title now, but the dev has already released a hex and counters grand WW2 game a while back, and they just followed up with a release that focuses on the naval aspects. But yeah, forgot to wish list it and now I can't recall the name! GAAH!

Destiny of the World?

It was War Plan and War Plan Pacific; not actually as new as I thought (WP:P came out 2 years ago). But thanks!
Title: Re: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: Ian C on June 25, 2024, 06:13:35 AM
The thread Jarhead quoted is a good start.

This looks to be the most recent and in-depth tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIY632rOtuKBW7-K9PDZZeaIfLWej_7Ji


Shorter but out of date for some more recent DLC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_uCwrt-LkA&list=PLs3acGYgI1-v2rWyEDR8Mn3Avf9CxH1s1

Title: Re: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: glen55 on June 26, 2024, 03:56:11 PM
I don't really know where a good tutorial is but I got much better results after I started cheating. It really wasn't indiscriminate cheating, either. Not quite....

https://hoi4.paradoxwikis.com/Console_commands
Title: Re: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: Ian C on July 10, 2024, 03:01:18 PM
The official current complete beginners guide:

Title: Re: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: Tripoli on July 10, 2024, 03:23:32 PM
Quote from: greengiant on June 23, 2024, 07:02:56 AMAh yes, I admit that that title is already on my wish list (as are almost all the other SC games), but the good news is I did find what I was looking for; the series is called War Plan, and the new one is War Plan Pacific. I wonder if anyone here has given either a bash yet?

I've played a bit of War Plan.  It is a pretty good game.  It has a little bit of the the old "3rd Reich" boardgame vibe to it.  The naval game is a little bit underdeveloped, but overall I like it.
Title: Re: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: Tripoli on July 10, 2024, 06:20:36 PM
One other thing: If any Grogs are interested, I'm actually looking for a friendly/light PBEM game of War Plan.  I'd be willing to play either side. 
Title: Re: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: nelmsm on July 10, 2024, 08:13:50 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on July 10, 2024, 06:20:36 PMOne other thing: If any Grogs are interested, I'm actually looking for a friendly/light PBEM game of War Plan.  I'd be willing to play either side. 

If I can take a few days to refresh myself on the rules and make sure I'm up to date patch wise I'd give you a game.  Say starting on Monday?
Title: Re: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: Tripoli on July 10, 2024, 09:55:08 PM
Quote from: nelmsm on July 10, 2024, 08:13:50 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on July 10, 2024, 06:20:36 PMOne other thing: If any Grogs are interested, I'm actually looking for a friendly/light PBEM game of War Plan.  I'd be willing to play either side. 

If I can take a few days to refresh myself on the rules and make sure I'm up to date patch wise I'd give you a game.  Say starting on Monday?
I'm good with that.  I'll send you a DM and we can work out the details
Title: Re: HoI IV advice and recommendations needed
Post by: Ian C on July 11, 2024, 06:33:05 AM
These are a really good source for tutorials. Typically 10-15 mins per video and to the point, full of info:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFkhGrDp_yRsMw9Zu8hZ3Pm86300KcF1i