Hi guys .....browsing the Steam sale I came across "Hex of Steel" which has phenomenally good ratings on Steam and on review sites , is supported by a very active Steam Workshop giving scenarios and Campaigns as diverse as Ethiopia 1935, the entire Napoleonic Wars in Europe, The American War of Independence, Korea etc as well as a huge number of WW2 scenarios and Campaigns included with the game .
One mad modder has even made a huge world map.
Anyone played this one ?
I will 100 per cent be picking it up in the next day or so.
The game has a demo (available on the Steam page).
You can try all the campaigns and scenarios (limited to 20 turns) but mods are not available in the demo.
Gamersgate has an even better price for the next 22 hours (https://www.gamersgate.com/product/hex-of-steel/).
I have it and love it!! It's like a much more in-depth Panzer Corps. As Pete said, there's a demo if you're on the fence but I can tell you that if you like this kind of game you will love it!
Thanks guys.
Really appreciate the feedback.
I am just amazed at the volume of content in the game and the UI and counters (Unit and NATO options) look really well done on the coverage I have just been watching on You Tube.
I will stick with Steam due to the refund policy just in case there are any technical issues once I have bought it as I will buy the full game rather than the dem.
Thanks again.
Ian
I don't think you'll regret picking it up. For the price (even when it's not on sale), you get a LOT of great gameplay. I love the graphics on the icons too.
Also, there's an in-game public chat feature and the developer Valentin is in there pretty often so you have a direct pipeline to the dev if you have issues.
I've got it on Steam and on my mobile. Great game, but very challenging.
Ahh I meant to mention that, Jarhead!! This is the kind of game that (to me) is made for touchscreens and it is well worth picking up if you have a mobile device with a decent-sized screen. Most of my hours spent in the game have been on iPad.
I have well over a thousand hours in it and love it. It is continually evolving as the developer is very active at modifying the game to improve it (without cost!).
I just picked it up on sale and am excited to roll up my sleeves and get into it. So far, I'm playing and replaying one scenario while I master the mechanics.
My only concern at this point is that this will turn out to have the fatal flaw of most Panzer General-style games, whereby each map turns into more of a puzzle game than a strategy game. More specifically, you have to play a map once to do reconnaissance about what you're up against and then replay it again once you know what's coming.
But I haven't played nearly enough to know if that's a real problem or whether different scenarios have decent replayability. I'm hoping there's a little randomness baked into the AI's builds, as the units you produce every turn seem to awful a lot of different directions to take any given battle.
Of course, with about a zillion scenarios and campaigns, maybe I just shouldn't plan on playing a map more than once?
I know what you mean but some of the maps are pretty big and of a different scale to Panzer General.
Funnily enough the unit production aspect which means things will deviate from history very quickly are what caused me to not buy the full version at the last minute. I would have preferred historically accurate troop reinforcements and just giving the player the choice of a couple of deployment hexes but others will obviously prefer the greater flexibility.
Because I easily crumble to peer pressure, I now own it as well.
Sigh....I hate you guys.
Looking now........
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 02, 2024, 12:35:07 AMMy only concern at this point is that this will turn out to have the fatal flaw of most Panzer General-style games, whereby each map turns into more of a puzzle game than a strategy game. More specifically, you have to play a map once to do reconnaissance about what you're up against and then replay it again once you know what's coming.
I don't really think that's an issue with this game... I believe the "puzzle aspect" comes into effect in Panzer Corps because of the tight turn limits in some of the scenarios. All of the Hex of Steel scenarios I've played so far give you plenty of time to achieve your goals.
Quote from: DesertFox on July 02, 2024, 08:55:53 AMI believe the "puzzle aspect" comes into effect in Panzer Corps because of the tight turn limits in some of the scenarios.
The turn limit can be turned off in the advanced campaign options in Panzer Corps
2.
Great game for the price. Recommend it!
Beware winter attrition! You can turn that down or off. So many features!