GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Grim.Reaper on July 15, 2024, 10:17:19 AM

Title: Renaissance Kingdom Wars
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 15, 2024, 10:17:19 AM
Looks interesting just released to first access

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/strategy/renaissance-kingdom-wars-is-a-pleasingly-simple-hybrid-of-crusader-kings-total-war-and-age-of-empires/
Title: Re: Renaissance Kingdom Wars
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 15, 2024, 10:23:29 AM
Its on my list. I think you should take this one for the team.
Title: Re: Renaissance Kingdom Wars
Post by: Gusington on July 15, 2024, 10:52:21 AM
^I second that emotion.

The developer has a history of good ideas that result in less-than-good delivered games.
Title: Re: Renaissance Kingdom Wars
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 15, 2024, 10:57:51 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 15, 2024, 10:23:29 AMIts on my list. I think you should take this one for the team.

My near term time is going towards the long awaited release of ncaa 2025 football for my console which is today:) been waiting forever for that series to come back and today is the day.
Title: Re: Renaissance Kingdom Wars
Post by: Destraex on July 15, 2024, 05:31:54 PM
Did anybody play medieval kingdom wars?
Title: Re: Renaissance Kingdom Wars
Post by: rss334 on July 15, 2024, 05:39:34 PM
I've played it, find the graphics too grainy and hard to really see what is going on.   Plays like an RTS similar to to age of empires but with the campaign map.   I just can't get in to it personally
Title: Re: Renaissance Kingdom Wars
Post by: Gusington on July 15, 2024, 06:19:35 PM
I did not play Medieval Kingdom Wars. I do love the era very much and initial Steam reviews are positive.

I'm going in.
Title: Re: Renaissance Kingdom Wars
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 15, 2024, 06:34:39 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 15, 2024, 06:19:35 PMI did not play Medieval Kingdom Wars. I do love the era very much and initial Steam reviews are positive.

I'm going in.

Get it on Greenman...28% off. Comes to just over $19.
Title: Re: Renaissance Kingdom Wars
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 15, 2024, 07:44:24 PM
For $19, I figured, "what the hell..."

Its pretty janky and rough around the edges, but it is early access. The RTS portion of the game is a mixed bag so far. Combat is fairly basic and it is hard to tell if terrain or LOS plays any role in battles. Firearms are able to shoot from the rear through allied units and don't seem to cause any friendly casualties. Although there appears to be a pretty diverse selection of units it is hard to tell how different they really are. There are some interesting features though...for instance support units are part of your armies and so you need to bring livestock and peasants on the campaign trail. These units not only play a role on the strategic map, but they also are important in battle. Peasants can supply combat units with food, help in healing and in a pretty cool twist, be used to loot corpses on the battlefield. For the grogs among you, the combat here will probably not be your speed, as it is very, I'll just say, "arcade-like". No hardcore rules or concepts that i've been able to perceive from a few brief battles I've played.

The strategic element seems fun though. You can capture settlements and built them up into cities and fortresses. You have relationships with your fellow lords and even the king of your realm. There are ways to interact with them through diplomacy and I gather you can build up an empire to rival that of your own king and then eventually claim the crown for yourself. I'll need to explore the strategic side of the game in more detail to see what else is on offer.

The developers seem to be really active and involved and will hopefully continue in improving the game throughout early access.  They seem pretty committed.