GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Destraex on October 25, 2024, 07:21:56 PM

Title: Following Seas - Single Player Age of Sail simulation (demo)
Post by: Destraex on October 25, 2024, 07:21:56 PM
I really enjoyed playing the following seas demo. In it you seem to be a lateen rigged trader at least to begin with. You get shipwrecked in the demo and are washed up onto an island that happens to have a ship for you to take out. What's really cool is that to get the ship into the water you have to use the anchor to pull it off the rocks. Then you lower the sails. Change rope positions, pump water out etc. Really enjoyed it... I know I said it twice. But this game really feels good. You walk around the deck in first person and can load cargo into the hold in first person. Exploring the ships is great fun.

I reached an island where a chinese junk was moored. The dev has no plans for square riggers at the moment. This makes things interesting as it makes me think this will be the first Asian based age of sail game that I know of.

(https://i.imgur.com/LxTcYej.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/HuLENfw.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/fLjJcXC.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/H2SLiL9.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/74vtHIs.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/9G41UBc.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/QuLjKqN.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/wGiXPHn.png)
Title: Re: Following Seas - Single Player Age of Sail simulation (demo)
Post by: JasonPratt on October 25, 2024, 10:26:51 PM
Already looks better than Sailwind, though that has made a lot of progress over time.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1764530/Sailwind/
Title: Re: Following Seas - Single Player Age of Sail simulation (demo)
Post by: Destraex on October 25, 2024, 11:15:20 PM
Yeah, Sailwind does not look that great. The demo for following seas is still on steam if you want to try it by the way.
Title: Re: Following Seas - Single Player Age of Sail simulation (demo)
Post by: bruce205 on October 26, 2024, 03:27:00 PM
Looks stupid
Title: Re: Following Seas - Single Player Age of Sail simulation (demo)
Post by: Destraex on October 26, 2024, 10:08:13 PM
Quote from: bruce205 on October 26, 2024, 03:27:00 PMLooks stupid
How so?
Title: Re: Following Seas - Single Player Age of Sail simulation (demo)
Post by: smithcorp on October 28, 2024, 05:09:51 AM
I just missed the demo dammit. Downloaded it, but didn't open it in time. Looked really intriguing.
Title: Re: Following Seas - Single Player Age of Sail simulation (demo)
Post by: bruce205 on October 28, 2024, 05:16:41 PM
Des. Everything looks boring and stupid.
Title: Re: Following Seas - Single Player Age of Sail simulation (demo)
Post by: JasonPratt on November 01, 2024, 08:05:38 AM
I picked up the demo immediately but then proceeded to ignore it like a fool.  :tongue: Still wishlisted tho.
Title: Re: Following Seas - Single Player Age of Sail simulation (demo)
Post by: Destraex on November 05, 2024, 01:15:29 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 01, 2024, 08:05:38 AMI picked up the demo immediately but then proceeded to ignore it like a fool.  :tongue: Still wishlisted tho.
Demo is still up I just noticed. So the demo was not stopped after next fest which is good.
Title: Re: Following Seas - Single Player Age of Sail simulation (demo)
Post by: smithcorp on November 07, 2024, 03:21:08 AM
Okay, that's interesting. I noticed the demo was updated on Steam (I assumed to disable it), but time to give it another try...