GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Enigmas of the Mystical => Topic started by: ArizonaTank on November 26, 2024, 10:08:14 AM

Title: Aussie Dictionary Word of the Year
Post by: ArizonaTank on November 26, 2024, 10:08:14 AM
So while the Oxford Dictionary picks "demure" as word of the year...

The Aussies are having none of it.

The Macquarie Dictionary of Australian English has chosen:  "enshittification"

The word refers to how digital platforms treat their users. According to article linked below, it is "the process by which digital platforms "die": "First, they are good to their users; then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers; finally, they abuse those business customers to claw back all the value for themselves."

This seems to fit some MMORPGs I know as well...

Personally, I could have come up with other definitions...but I do like what is now in the Macquarie...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/what-many-of-us-feel-enshittification-named-word-of-the-year/ar-AA1uLxZP?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=885d9cf165a7438db2b250eb80e12a85&ei=26 (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/what-many-of-us-feel-enshittification-named-word-of-the-year/ar-AA1uLxZP?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=885d9cf165a7438db2b250eb80e12a85&ei=26)
Title: Re: Aussie Dictionary Word of the Year
Post by: Sir Slash on November 26, 2024, 11:47:46 AM
So that's what they're calling that today. Back when I worked, I just called it, "Screwed Dude".  :shocked: