GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: CaptainKoloth on January 18, 2025, 05:11:44 PM

Title: Annihilate the Spance
Post by: CaptainKoloth on January 18, 2025, 05:11:44 PM
Have been having a great time with this RTS:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1706360/Annihilate_The_Spance/

Kind of been sliding under the radar but it has a really interesting "management without micromanagement" approach where you build but don't directly control units. Tons of content and I really like the art style as well. Has a demo too. I strongly endorse it for a try.
Title: Re: Annihilate the Spance
Post by: Destraex on January 18, 2025, 08:13:56 PM
Funny you should mention this. I almost downloaded the demo this morning. When I realised it was only singleplayer I stopped. It looks really good. I might just have to give it a go if you recommend it.

There are so many RTS space games around at the moment. But the ones that have me hooked currently are sins of a solar empire 2 for multiplayer and Battlestar Galactica Deadlock for Singleplayer.
Title: Re: Annihilate the Spance
Post by: CaptainKoloth on January 18, 2025, 08:14:57 PM
It's definitely worth a try. I'm a huge fan of both of those too but this one has something lacking in most games these days- originality in its mechanics.
Title: Re: Annihilate the Spance
Post by: mbar on January 19, 2025, 04:08:30 AM
I wish AtS had a save/load feature for the skirmishes and campaign battles.
Title: Re: Annihilate the Spance
Post by: Destraex on January 19, 2025, 04:17:39 AM
Just tried the game. Not bad. But not a concept I was in love with. The premise seems to be unlimited two sided tower defence with a smattering of waypoints to control the way your tower attack goes. The battles also reminded me of space invaders if both sides were the invaders. Banging up against each other relentlessly and uncontrollably until one side won.
I got up to the resources mining so that would change things a little. The platforms in space thing was also not that appealing to me. As a game it seems like fun, but nothing that makes too much sense in terms of immersion.
Title: Re: Annihilate the Spance
Post by: CaptainKoloth on January 19, 2025, 12:42:10 PM
Quote from: Destraex on January 19, 2025, 04:17:39 AMJust tried the game. Not bad. But not a concept I was in love with. The premise seems to be unlimited two sided tower defence with a smattering of waypoints to control the way your tower attack goes. The battles also reminded me of space invaders if both sides were the invaders. Banging up against each other relentlessly and uncontrollably until one side won.
I got up to the resources mining so that would change things a little. The platforms in space thing was also not that appealing to me. As a game it seems like fun, but nothing that makes too much sense in terms of immersion.

Not necessarily incorrect but I'd claim this is a very reductive way of viewing the game. Kind of like if one said Sins 2 (a game I love) was solely a game in which you hoard generically named resources to build the most gigantic deathball of ships as fast as you can and fling it at the enemy's deathball with minimal control once actually in combat. Command and Conquer clone in space without the memorable units and backstory.
Title: Re: Annihilate the Spance
Post by: Destraex on January 20, 2025, 02:50:40 AM
Quote from: CaptainKoloth on January 19, 2025, 12:42:10 PM
Quote from: Destraex on January 19, 2025, 04:17:39 AMJust tried the game. Not bad. But not a concept I was in love with. The premise seems to be unlimited two sided tower defence with a smattering of waypoints to control the way your tower attack goes. The battles also reminded me of space invaders if both sides were the invaders. Banging up against each other relentlessly and uncontrollably until one side won.
I got up to the resources mining so that would change things a little. The platforms in space thing was also not that appealing to me. As a game it seems like fun, but nothing that makes too much sense in terms of immersion.

Not necessarily incorrect but I'd claim this is a very reductive way of viewing the game. Kind of like if one said Sins 2 (a game I love) was solely a game in which you hoard generically named resources to build the most gigantic deathball of ships as fast as you can and fling it at the enemy's deathball with minimal control once actually in combat. Command and Conquer clone in space without the memorable units and backstory.
I understand. But I would rebutt by saying that I agree to a point that Sins2 is a game with much less fleet control than I would like, but that I can control the fleets. In Spance the ships you build unthinkingly charge the enemy constantly and the player cannot stop them. Cannot choose when to strike and how much to strike with, Sins2 you can.

Sins2 is not perfect either. But spance is a reductive concept almost by definition. It simplifies the traditional RTS gameplay. It kinda reminds me of a 3D version of an 80s arcade game as I said above.

I get where you're probably coming from where games get so complex that you just don't find them fun anymore. You just want a game that's fresh and different.