GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Senex on February 06, 2025, 03:32:16 PM

Title: End of an Era
Post by: Senex on February 06, 2025, 03:32:16 PM
Slitherine/Matrix has announced that they will not be selling their games or manuals in physical form starting on March 1.  They have a limited number of games that will be available on disk until then, but that's it after that.  See https://www.matrixgames.com/news/important-update-last-chance-to-purchase-physical-manuals-and-editions-before-march-1st?utm_source=Matrix+Games+Master&utm_campaign=83c2a6e9f0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_28032024_TodaysGamingSales_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d2dfdfd653-83c2a6e9f0-87566581
Ebay value of those boxes sitting on our shelves has just taken a lift.
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 06, 2025, 03:48:54 PM
I had no idea they were still even selling physical copies, other than a few select titles with special editions.
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: CaptainKoloth on February 06, 2025, 04:03:58 PM
Is nothing sacred anymore 🤬
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Destraex on February 06, 2025, 07:27:11 PM
My take on this would be for them to offer printable manuals with exact instructions to give for professional printers. Paper type, binding etc.

Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: bobarossa on February 06, 2025, 10:45:12 PM
PDF manuals are why I have a tablet.  Haven't bought a physical computer game in well over a decade.
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Sir Slash on February 06, 2025, 11:02:53 PM
I feel sad. The next generation of Gamers will never know the pure thrill of holding a new, unopened game box in their Dorito-stained hands for the very first time, the vibrantly colored manual with a detailed map or two, maybe even some graphs of weapon types and their ranges/damage effects. Nerd Valhalla.  :Dreamer:   Second thought, screw 'em. Only Real Men can rip cellophane.
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: solops on February 06, 2025, 11:45:19 PM
This sucks.
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: The_Admiral on February 08, 2025, 12:43:39 PM
To be honest costs have become too unpredictable. I shake in my boots at the uncertainty heading into tour own Kickstarter when it comes to cost evaluation. Prices we've seen for mere printing jobs in the US are insane - everything else is a few inches away from a sudden tariff war. The days of waiting patiently for the container to bring you your WitP:AE manual from China are a bit gone.

I guess maintaining inventory is not deemed worth the effort, especially if physical editions are not a thing anymore. Bit surprised they're not turning this into a fire sale though - wonder where all these things will go if they don't get sold?
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: bobarossa on February 08, 2025, 01:47:56 PM
With constant patches and DLC's, a physical manual is out of date in no time.  I would pay for a Shadow Empire manual except that Vic has updated the game so much over the years it's barely recognizable from a play standpoint.
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Sigwolf on February 08, 2025, 02:36:52 PM
I'll miss being able to get printed manuals.  I still have War in the West, War in the East 2, Operational Art of War IV, and Strategic Command WWI in Europe on my shelf.

What might be an even bigger end of an era bummer, though, is that I did not receive an anniversary coupon from Matrix this year.  For more than a decade I have gotten that on the 3rd or 4th of February every year.  This year, nothing... 
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Skoop on February 08, 2025, 03:24:17 PM
spam filter ?

I'd follow up with matrix site, I think I had the same problem and they sorted it out.
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Pete Dero on February 09, 2025, 06:07:10 AM
Quote from: Sigwolf on February 08, 2025, 02:36:52 PMWhat might be an even bigger end of an era bummer, though, is that I did not receive an anniversary coupon from Matrix this year.  For more than a decade I have gotten that on the 3rd or 4th of February every year.  This year, nothing... 

Check 'My Page'.  On the right you will find 'My Anniversary Coupons'.

https://www.matrixgames.com/member/anniversarycoupons/
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Sigwolf on February 09, 2025, 10:17:59 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on February 09, 2025, 06:07:10 AM
Quote from: Sigwolf on February 08, 2025, 02:36:52 PMWhat might be an even bigger end of an era bummer, though, is that I did not receive an anniversary coupon from Matrix this year.  For more than a decade I have gotten that on the 3rd or 4th of February every year.  This year, nothing... 

Check 'My Page'.  On the right you will find 'My Anniversary Coupons'.

https://www.matrixgames.com/member/anniversarycoupons/

That is the first place I checked.  The most recent entry there is for the coupon I received Feb 3, 2024.
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Crossroads on February 09, 2025, 12:11:09 PM
I purchased the Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm manual purely for the beauty of it. What a gorgeous hardcover book! I also picked up a physical copy of CMO during the year-end sales, though that manual turned out to be a small softcover book. Meh, sort of, as it was quite pricey, too. But a book, regardless.

I don't miss DVD boxes per se, but printed manuals. There's just something special about them. Professionally printing PDF manuals wouldn't be too expensive either I guess. Maybe something worth considering for the future.
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Sigwolf on February 09, 2025, 03:16:57 PM
Problem solved with the anniversary coupon.  Not sure why I didn't get the original e-mail, but support re-sent it and I got it immediately.  For anyone that has something similar occur... I didn't realize that the coupon will not show up on the Matrix 'My Page' coupons list until *after* you click the link in the e-mail.  I had thought it showed up there automatically, but that is apparently not how it works.

Anyway, all is well, except the print manuals going away.   :HideEyes:
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Redwolf on February 09, 2025, 04:49:39 PM
Hm, my last coupon in the online account is from 2022.

I have very aggressive spam filters on my email, I guess it is lost by now.
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Sigwolf on February 09, 2025, 06:32:22 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on February 09, 2025, 04:49:39 PMHm, my last coupon in the online account is from 2022.

I have very aggressive spam filters on my email, I guess it is lost by now.
Previous years are probably gone, but just send an e-mail to support if you don't get this years.  They responded same day to mine, and on a Sunday, no less.  They did good.
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Toonces on February 10, 2025, 06:25:41 AM
I haven't bought a physical game in forever - a decade or more sounds about right.  In fact, I have a huge bin full of old physical games that I intend to either donate or, more likely, simply throw away soon.

Now, going full nostalgia, I very fondly remember the absolute thrill of browsing those boxes of Atari 2600 games when I was a kid!  Looking at the back of the box and all, just a wall of possibilities.

(https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Adventure_Box_Front.jpg)
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Sir Slash on February 10, 2025, 12:12:18 PM
A few years back, the guy who does my Termite Inspection had a kid in Tech School studying computers and he bought some of my very old games from me so he's kid could use them for study. I was happy they could still be used for something positive. And I'm talking all the way back to some of my Amiga games.  :shocked:
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Destraex on February 12, 2025, 08:17:35 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 10, 2025, 12:12:18 PMA few years back, the guy who does my Termite Inspection had a kid in Tech School studying computers and he bought some of my very old games from me so he's kid could use them for study. I was happy they could still be used for something positive. And I'm talking all the way back to some of my Amiga games.  :shocked:

I sent a mechwarrior 2 and expansion box to a friend in a different city. He intended to frame the box art and display it on a wall.
Title: Re: End of an Era
Post by: Sir Slash on February 12, 2025, 10:42:10 PM
That is cool.  :ThumbsUp: