GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Crossroads on February 07, 2025, 02:45:59 AM

Title: Campaign Series: Cold War (a work-in-progress title) Player Survey
Post by: Crossroads on February 07, 2025, 02:45:59 AM
With the reimaged Campaign Series: Vietnam 2.00 and Middle East 3.00 updates soon released, it's time to look ahead once more.

Please find below a set of questions where we'd appreciate your insights regarding our next Campaign Series game: Cold War 1948–1985.

Link to Campaign Series: Cold War Survey (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuDneb3sHAT8vt40zmeukw1KlGtrDnD67GzoLgiT1w0rUYiw/viewform?usp=header) (Opens Google Forms page)


Your feedback is highly valued and will help guide our design decisions during development.

Note: All answers are optional. If you prefer not to answer a particular question, simply move on to the next one.


As with the previous survey, we'll share the results oncw they are available

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

- Campaign Series Legion
Title: Re: Campaign Series: Cold War (a work-in-progress title) Player Survey
Post by: Crossroads on February 07, 2025, 02:47:44 AM
With apologies, should have named the thread CS: Cold War FRIDAY Survey, of course  :Party:

Please participate, though, your feedback is appreciated. Lots of release related decisions to be made, as what the 1.0 content should be, among other things.
Title: Re: Campaign Series: Cold War (a work-in-progress title) Player Survey
Post by: CaptainKoloth on February 07, 2025, 03:45:06 AM
I'm still waiting for that Iran-Iraq update for Middle East  :grin:
Title: Re: Campaign Series: Cold War (a work-in-progress title) Player Survey
Post by: Crossroads on February 07, 2025, 04:13:02 AM
Quote from: CaptainKoloth on February 07, 2025, 03:45:06 AMI'm still waiting for that Iran-Iraq update for Middle East  :grin:

:HideEyes:

Iran and revised Iraq Orders of Battle are now included, at least. And the game ships with full editors ... It is a start, right.

But yeah, this is exactly why everyone's input is so appreciated. What is "good enough", and what isn't  :ThumbsUp:
Title: Re: Campaign Series: Cold War (a work-in-progress title) Player Survey
Post by: DesertFox on February 07, 2025, 10:26:43 AM
I haven't looked at the roadmap for Vietnam in awhile, but are there still plans at some point to add the Linear & Dynamic campaigns to Vietnam like the old Campaign Series games had?  I know there's the "A week in..." scenarios which is cool but I would love to be able to play the older-style campaigns in this setting. 
Title: Re: Campaign Series: Cold War (a work-in-progress title) Player Survey
Post by: Crossroads on February 07, 2025, 12:15:53 PM
Quote from: DesertFox on February 07, 2025, 10:26:43 AMI haven't looked at the roadmap for Vietnam in awhile, but are there still plans at some point to add the Linear & Dynamic campaigns to Vietnam like the old Campaign Series games had?  I know there's the "A week in..." scenarios which is cool but I would love to be able to play the older-style campaigns in this setting. 

I also enjoyed the Linked and Dynamic campaigns. That functionality was part of the old front end, originally developed by an unknown Talonsoft programmer. It wasn't part of the "Tiller code" that makes up the engine and editors.

It was a neat concept, though it relied on a lot of hardcoded values in the front end. For example, certain unit type platoon IDs like each and every off-map aircraft were hardcoded there.

While the old front end is deprecated and gone for good, the source code still exists. That said, enabling it again would be a significant task, even if we were to bring back the old front end just for this purpose.

It's probably not the answer you were hoping for, but there are no immediate plans to reintroduce them. That said, they haven't been scrapped for good either. In fact, it would make for an interesting project for a new programmer if we can ever find one!

Linked campaign scenarios could likely be equipped with Scripted AI Lua files to go with them, too. Dynamic campaigns, likely not, as everything with them, orgs, maps, scenarios, were built dynamically on the run.
Title: Re: Campaign Series: Cold War (a work-in-progress title) Player Survey
Post by: DesertFox on February 07, 2025, 08:56:32 PM
Ahh ok thank you for your response, Crossroads.  I don't know why I was thinking I read somewhere that they were going to be reintroduced at some point.  I'm still really happy with the game and looking forward to seeing how the series evolves.

Now if, on the other hand, all you're missing is a programmer...  that's what I do for a living and I wouldn't mind working on something on the side just to see if something could be done.  If that's seriously an option...  :Nerd:
Title: Re: Campaign Series: Cold War (a work-in-progress title) Player Survey
Post by: Crossroads on February 08, 2025, 01:43:38 AM
Quote from: DesertFox on February 07, 2025, 08:56:32 PMAhh ok thank you for your response, Crossroads.  I don't know why I was thinking I read somewhere that they were going to be reintroduced at some point.  I'm still really happy with the game and looking forward to seeing how the series evolves.

Now if, on the other hand, all you're missing is a programmer...  that's what I do for a living and I wouldn't mind working on something on the side just to see if something could be done.  If that's seriously an option...  :Nerd:

There's certainly been a hopeful statement about this I am sure, like I said, it is not an active decision to abandon but rather just not having the time for the overhaul required. Platoon data has evolved quite a bit over the time, and  as so many things were hard coded, for all nations that the old front end supported, it was just possible to keep it all up to date.

PM sent  :ThumbsUp: 
Title: Re: Campaign Series: Cold War (a work-in-progress title) Player Survey
Post by: Crossroads on February 09, 2025, 07:55:00 AM
The first day results are in!   :notworthy:

https://cslegion.com/cs-cold-war/campaign-series-cold-war-survey-the-first-day-results/  (opens a page at our CS Legion website)

Survey remains open, though. If you haven't answered yet and would prefer to do so, your insight and comments are appreciated.

Title: Re: Campaign Series: Cold War (a work-in-progress title) Player Survey
Post by: Crossroads on February 19, 2025, 01:26:54 AM
We'l keep this survey open until end of play coming Sunday. If you haven't responded yet, please do - your insight and views are appreciated  :ThumbsUp:
Title: Re: Campaign Series: Cold War (a work-in-progress title) Player Survey
Post by: Crossroads on February 22, 2025, 02:19:09 PM
Two more days to weigh in, polls will be closing early Monday morning!

We're at 171 responses—can we reach 200?

A huge thank you to everyone who's already chipped in!

 :ThumbsUp:
Title: Re: Campaign Series: Cold War (a work-in-progress title) Player Survey
Post by: Crossroads on February 24, 2025, 01:16:50 AM
I closed the survey with 183 responses in total. How neat!

Thank you, this will help us a lot going forward towards CS: Cold War. 

:twirl:
Title: Re: Campaign Series: Cold War (a work-in-progress title) Player Survey
Post by: Crossroads on March 11, 2025, 02:49:39 PM
I finally found a few hours to put together a post about the final survey results.

Check it out here: Campaign Series Cold War Survey - The Final Results (https://cslegion.com/cs-cold-war/campaign-series-cold-war-survey-the-final-results/)

A huge thank you to everyone who participated, this was incredibly interesting to read and has been invaluable for our planning!

:Hug: