I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there might be more to this story than meets the eye.
QuoteForeign Affairs Minister John Baird has severed Canadian ties with Iran over its sponsorship of terrorism and amid fears about the safety of diplomats in the country.
Baird says the Canadian embassy in Tehran will close immediately and Iranian diplomats in Canada have been given five days to leave.
The skeleton staff that was operating Canada's Tehran mission has already fled the country.
Baird says he's worried about the safety of diplomats in Tehran following recent attacks on the British embassy there.
Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Canada+cuts+ties+with+Iran+closes+embassy+orders+Iranian+diplomats+home/7206256/story.html
Guess we won't be smuggling out any Yanks this go around.
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 07, 2012, 01:34:43 PM
Guess we won't be smuggling out any Yanks this go around.
Yes. As much as that was appreciated it is my hope there aren't any of us left there and you guys get the heck out of there.
I've already put my bets on the table as to what I think will happen and when. If that's the case, most of the western world needs to be quietly pulling folks out of there.
Yeah, what's next?
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fgifs.gifbin.com%2F042010%2F1270554753_slo-mo-explosion.gif&hash=30f990aee9345fc9b746f55563fa655243fa643b)
Quote from: LongBlade on September 07, 2012, 01:36:16 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 07, 2012, 01:34:43 PM
Guess we won't be smuggling out any Yanks this go around.
Yes. As much as that was appreciated it is my hope there aren't any of us left there and you guys get the heck out of there.
I've already put my bets on the table as to what I think will happen and when. If that's the case, most of the western world needs to be quietly pulling folks out of there.
I really, really hope it's never. I could do without another round of austerity cuts and more "temporary" police state laws being brought in.
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 07, 2012, 02:10:38 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 07, 2012, 01:36:16 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 07, 2012, 01:34:43 PM
Guess we won't be smuggling out any Yanks this go around.
Yes. As much as that was appreciated it is my hope there aren't any of us left there and you guys get the heck out of there.
I've already put my bets on the table as to what I think will happen and when. If that's the case, most of the western world needs to be quietly pulling folks out of there.
I really, really hope it's never. I could do without another round of austerity cuts and more "temporary" police state laws being brought in.
I fully agree, but my money is against it.
According to a interview on CBC Radio 1 this morning, the Iranians were totally shocked when this happened. One of the former staff from the Canadian Embassy in Iran said that the the Iranians couldn't quite get a handle on what was going on - almost like they didn't understand the Canadians were leaving. I bet there are some serious meetings going on in Tehran.
I suspect the Israeli's gave Harper a heads-up that there may be potential action going to take place, given the cozy relationship between the PM and Netanyahu
Quote from: MIGMaster on September 10, 2012, 07:24:08 PM
According to a interview on CBC Radio 1 this morning, the Iranians were totally shocked when this happened. One of the former staff from the Canadian Embassy in Iran said that the the Iranians couldn't quite get a handle on what was going on - almost like they didn't understand the Canadians were leaving. I bet there are some serious meetings going on in Tehran.
I suspect the Israeli's gave Harper a heads-up that there may be potential action going to take place, given the cozy relationship between the PM and Netanyahu
Or maybe Harper is playing head games with Iran on behalf of Israel and the US... make them paranoid for a bit until they drop their guard then WHAM! 8)
oh the comic relief of Canadistanians wearing USA tee-shirts while on vacation now.
Quote from: MIGMaster on September 10, 2012, 07:24:08 PM
According to a interview on CBC Radio 1 this morning, the Iranians were totally shocked when this happened. One of the former staff from the Canadian Embassy in Iran said that the the Iranians couldn't quite get a handle on what was going on - almost like they didn't understand the Canadians were leaving. I bet there are some serious meetings going on in Tehran.
I suspect the Israeli's gave Harper a heads-up that there may be potential action going to take place, given the cozy relationship between the PM and Netanyahu
Hopefully this has nothing to do with the Minister of National Defence's wife.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazanin_Afshin-Jam
Interesting take on closing the embassy....
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/09/10/f-vp-stewart-iran-canada.html
Quote from: MIGMaster on September 11, 2012, 10:50:46 AM
Interesting take on closing the embassy....
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/09/10/f-vp-stewart-iran-canada.html
QuoteIn January, America's top intelligence official, James Clapper, publicly stated that Iranian diplomats abroad were setting up sleeper cells designed to attack U.S. and allied interests around the world in the event of war.
This isn't incompatible with the other theories out there. In 1979 Iran demonstrated that the sanctity of an embassy would not be honored. There is no reason for Canada to believe that policy has changed.
Quote from: MIGMaster on September 11, 2012, 10:50:46 AM
Interesting take on closing the embassy....
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/09/10/f-vp-stewart-iran-canada.html
That is an interesting take on things.... 150 Iranian "office staff" in Nicaragua? :o
Yeah. Israel hits Iran and the 150 Iranian cultural attaches in Nicaragua, along with the thousands of other Iranian diplomatic staff members in the Americas start to massacre people in shopping malls and set-off bombs.
Sounds like every Iranian embassy should be shut-down.
The pic in the article of the Revolutionary Guards:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbc.ca%2Fgfx%2Fimages%2Fnews%2Fphotos%2F2012%2F02%2F19%2Fsi-iran-revolutionary-guard-300-ap-01914036.jpg&hash=119876a8bac1f40c58e065f66bc7e576949435c8)
Is it me, or do the look the security force of a DC or Marvel super-villian?
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fa57.foxnews.com%2Fglobal.fncstatic.com%2Fstatic%2Fmanaged%2Fimg%2FWorld%2F660%2F371%2FReuters%2520Iran%2520Revolutionary%2520Guard.jpg&hash=97ee3b947f614fb0a1520de9e2e4c26dddb5453a)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.telegraph.co.uk%2Fmultimedia%2Farchive%2F01518%2FRevolutionaryGuard_1518526c.jpg&hash=ad2edf56e4eccb6826c5dd7968cb22e011ffc360)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fthestoryofliberty.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F12%2Firanguard.jpg&hash=66cc58901bcf4623ba4cf8e27a6245660407c00d)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.guim.co.uk%2Fsys-images%2FGuardian%2FPix%2Fpictures%2F2012%2F7%2F12%2F1342100602906%2Frevolutionary-guards-008.jpg&hash=b764119abf21e498fd934d4780e6913c0ec39598)
Quote from: Centurion40 on September 11, 2012, 09:59:34 AM
Quote from: MIGMaster on September 10, 2012, 07:24:08 PM
According to a interview on CBC Radio 1 this morning, the Iranians were totally shocked when this happened. One of the former staff from the Canadian Embassy in Iran said that the the Iranians couldn't quite get a handle on what was going on - almost like they didn't understand the Canadians were leaving. I bet there are some serious meetings going on in Tehran.
I suspect the Israeli's gave Harper a heads-up that there may be potential action going to take place, given the cozy relationship between the PM and Netanyahu
Hopefully this has nothing to do with the Minister of National Defence's wife.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazanin_Afshin-Jam
Maybe they were trying to blackmail or strong-arm Pete MacKay's Mrs??
QuoteCanada's intelligence service believes Canada's increasing identification with Israel inevitably leave us a target for bombings, kidnappings or assassinations in an armed conflict. For years it has warned of the Iranian embassy's efforts to threaten and blackmail some of the more than 100,000 Iranians living here into "cooperation." That's why Canada has refused Iran's repeated requests for consuls outside Ottawa.