GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Tripoli on February 21, 2025, 09:55:42 AM

Title: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Tripoli on February 21, 2025, 09:55:42 AM

Stevie Wonder, 1972 from his Talking Book album. He had 18 albums by the time he was 26 years old, three of which (Innervisions, (1973), Fulfillingness' First Finale (1974) and Songs In The Key Of Life (1976)) were Grammy award-winners for Best Album.  In contrast, the Talking Book album underperformed, taking only two lesser Grammy awards for "Best Rhythm & Blues Song" (Superstition) and "Best Pop Vocal Performance, Male" (You Are The Sunshine Of My Life). :Wow:  :Wow:

As far as gaming: BoC work.  Finishing up an article for Fight Club.  Maybe some Task Force Admiral. And do some turns in the USMC "Napoleon at War" tournament.
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: solops on February 21, 2025, 10:08:02 AM
TW Warhammer III

Finding that it has some very broken factions...

Probably going over to Shadow Empire soon.
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Redwolf on February 21, 2025, 11:31:13 AM
Still Combat Mission.

I might buy Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 this weekend.
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2025, 11:39:56 AM
Definitely more Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 and possible flying over the new Eastern Afghanistan map in DCS.
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Sir Slash on February 21, 2025, 12:23:50 PM
Thanks for that video Trip, I never knew that about Stevie. There's a new demo out for Solasta 2, so that's where I'll be. Have a great weekend Grogs.  :ThumbsUp:
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Wolfe1759 on February 21, 2025, 01:24:27 PM
With the recent release of Civ VII I've decided to start a new game of Civ V may also have a go at Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes and to prove I've not taken a Tardis back a decade or so just purchased Rogue State Revolution so I'll give that a go as well.
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Pete Dero on February 21, 2025, 01:41:08 PM
Headquarters W W 2.

I have Kingdom Come Deliverance 1 and didn't play it enough to get v2 (unless someone over here tells me it is different enough to break my resolve  :grin: )
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2025, 02:12:35 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on February 21, 2025, 01:41:08 PMHeadquarters W W 2.

I have Kingdom Come Deliverance 1 and didn't play it enough to get v2 (unless someone over here tells me it is different enough to break my resolve  :grin: )

All I can say is that KCD1 never grabbed me. I gave up after 15 hours. To the contrary, KCD2 grabbed me straight out of the gate and I now have over 50 hours in it and still going strong.
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 21, 2025, 02:31:21 PM
Playing Chain of Comnand on Saturday morning.  Building and painting some Burma theatre terrain and Imperial Japanese Army units for Chain of Command:  Far East and Bolt Action.

Man, trying to figure out which paints to use for uniforms is proving even more difficult than it was when I painted my Canadians.  At least there are paints from Vallejo and AK that are specifically called IJA uniform but everybody agrees they're too yellow and dint look quite right.



Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2025, 03:27:23 PM
^post pics of your minis!
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 21, 2025, 05:03:01 PM
Too lazy to upload them to Flickr and then  link.
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: al_infierno on February 21, 2025, 05:27:35 PM
I'm also digging Kingdom Come Deliverance 2. It's janky as hell and occasionally frustrating, but a unique experience. Very immersive and realistic, especially playing as a criminal since the witness and wanted system feels super authentic.  If you steal a key off someone, they'll notice and replace their locks within a few days, and if you're lurking around their property and grab a valuable when they're not looking, they might put two and two together and realize it was you.

When someone witnesses you committing a crime, that character will remember you and run to the guards even if you return to town weeks later. It's also one of the few singleplayer open-world "crime and punishment" games where you can actually get executed if you screw up badly enough. It's really pretty impressive compared to the relatively static punishment systems in games like Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto, and Red Dead Redemption where getting caught for even a heinous crime like murder is just a slap on the wrist.

For anyone who values their free time, I highly recommend the "Unlimited Saving" mod for Kingdom Come Deliverance 2.  It basically just lets you quicksave anywhere Skyrim-style. Especially early in the game, any mistake that gets you killed can easily erase hours of progress.  It's less of an issue later on since you can brew the save items, but the early game can be quite frustrating and punishing

https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance2/mods/14
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2025, 05:31:45 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 21, 2025, 05:03:01 PMToo lazy to upload them to Flickr and then  link.

 :Loser:  :hair:
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 21, 2025, 05:41:00 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2025, 03:27:23 PM^post pics of your minis!

I'm weak and easily swayed, damn it.

I've finished assembling the mdf buildings. Bloody nightmare.  Thin, weak pieces of mdf, grooves that were too tight, and my fat sausage fingers lead to a lot of snapped bits.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/54342202246_c2360c5373_b.jpg)




Baseboated some bunkers and spider holes.  I still need to weather them and add bits of bushes, grass, and whatnot

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/54342612495_a024de688b_b.jpg)





I finished painting an M3 halftrack.  It's a US model but I kitbashed it a bit to make it for use with the Brits as a stand-in M5.


(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/54342409044_cfb1fd1cec_b.jpg)





And I also finished a Japanese Kurokane Type 95 car.  I was originally going to use it as a jumping off point for the Japanese forces but I found out that you can add it in to your force pool as a recce unit.  I might have to re-do it as I didn't bother putting historical markings on it and instead put a big, red meatball on the side because I had a tonne left over from the fighters I painted several years ago.  Definitely going to redo the officer and driver.  I used the IJA uniform paint but it came out too yellow so I tried some green washes.  Doesn't look right at all.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/54341298897_cce0540d49_b.jpg)
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2025, 05:42:40 PM
^Dude, those are awesome! You've got skills!  :notworthy:

Post more...I'm sure we have a minis and modeling forum in here somewhere!?

Now, if only we can convince JudgeDredd to start making models again.  :kiss:
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 21, 2025, 05:48:42 PM
I like building and painting vehicles.  I'm not so good at painting 28mm people.
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Sir Slash on February 21, 2025, 09:59:25 PM
Bullshit SDR. Those are fantastic.  :Dreamer:
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: undercovergeek on February 21, 2025, 11:48:00 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 21, 2025, 05:48:42 PMI like building and painting vehicles.  I'm not so good at painting 28mm people.

Half track is awesome 🤩
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Destraex on February 22, 2025, 05:54:54 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 21, 2025, 05:41:00 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2025, 03:27:23 PM^post pics of your minis!

I'm weak and easily swayed, damn it.

I've finished assembling the mdf buildings. Bloody nightmare.  Thin, weak pieces of mdf, grooves that were too tight, and my fat sausage fingers lead to a lot of snapped bits.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/54342202246_c2360c5373_b.jpg)




Baseboated some bunkers and spider holes.  I still need to weather them and add bits of bushes, grass, and whatnot

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/54342612495_a024de688b_b.jpg)





I finished painting an M3 halftrack.  It's a US model but I kitbashed it a bit to make it for use with the Brits as a stand-in M5.


(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/54342409044_cfb1fd1cec_b.jpg)





And I also finished a Japanese Kurokane Type 95 car.  I was originally going to use it as a jumping off point for the Japanese forces but I found out that you can add it in to your force pool as a recce unit.  I might have to re-do it as I didn't bother putting historical markings on it and instead put a big, red meatball on the side because I had a tonne left over from the fighters I painted several years ago.  Definitely going to redo the officer and driver.  I used the IJA uniform paint but it came out too yellow so I tried some green washes.  Doesn't look right at all.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/54341298897_cce0540d49_b.jpg)
I loved your post. They are great.
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Destraex on February 22, 2025, 05:59:22 PM
I saw a Silent Disapproval Robot when I tried Squad 44's expansion this weekend.
I wonder if it was our robot.

(https://i.imgur.com/EHI2jR5.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/UHVDSyf.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/mqwvnNX.png)
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Destraex on February 22, 2025, 06:10:27 PM
I played some Sins2 and coh3 because of the coh event. The AI in coh3 has become much more competent in the lead up to the patch I have noticed. But then I play against expert. So maybe they thought that expert was too easy.

(https://i.imgur.com/6XdgYHo.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/JLg875i.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/K04V44y.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/1WAzBup.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/D8eDtum.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/7mLnun8.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/BVVyjNG.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/yiIc3Ee.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/dsf7nnx.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/bZRdCa8.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/GzXyzd5.png)
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2025, 07:19:09 PM
Yup.  I was looking for ideas for Japanese uniform paint colours.
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Destraex on February 22, 2025, 09:37:24 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2025, 07:19:09 PMYup.  I was looking for ideas for Japanese uniform paint colours.
Did you enjoy the match? I only played for a short while. When I finally opened up with 1 round from prone hidden position, within half a second I was dead. I think I would have to play those maps a tonne to really get a feel for them. Squad play is of course best, but I was in no position to be on voice comms at that time. You were on an Aussie server? How was your ping?
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2025, 09:41:42 PM
I pretty much found it to be a walking simulator with bullets.  I'd spend 10 minutes wandering from the spawn to the frontline then catch a round with my face.

I think I shot 3 guys and died about 30 times.

I don't think I have the patience, the reflexes, or the eyesight to play such games anymore.
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Sir Slash on February 22, 2025, 09:57:49 PM
Scrumptious screen shots Destraex  :ThumbsUp:
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Destraex on February 23, 2025, 04:46:33 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 22, 2025, 09:57:49 PMScrumptious screen shots Destraex  :ThumbsUp:
Thanks... an extra helping for you then from the Task Force Admiral demo...

(https://i.imgur.com/zs3RLL4.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/7AJBGv4.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/kTdhjuk.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/WVgLYYH.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/JNXXVj6.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/U2QE1QF.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/Vawxj2t.png)
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Sir Slash on February 23, 2025, 02:47:29 PM
Damn. Now I gotta go take a cold shower.
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Redwolf on February 23, 2025, 05:00:10 PM
I am also "playing" with large language machine learning models this weekend. I run a bunch of them locally using Ollama, which makes it a breeze.

Wish they made one that can play the opponent in CM.
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: Toonces on February 24, 2025, 05:42:32 AM
Those are really impressive SDR!
Title: Re: Superstition [FRIDAY}
Post by: CaptainKoloth on February 24, 2025, 02:52:43 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2025, 09:41:42 PMI pretty much found it to be a walking simulator with bullets.  I'd spend 10 minutes wandering from the spawn to the frontline then catch a round with my face.


To be fair this is probably not an inaccurate simulation of the average recruit's real-life combat experience.