GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Destraex on March 13, 2025, 03:34:50 AM

Title: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: Destraex on March 13, 2025, 03:34:50 AM
I am keen to buy this game if it ever comes to steam. But it has been years and I still cannot see it on steam.
If I get it from the Matrix store, I just know I won't touch it. Much like war in the pacific which I own.
Anybody have any clue why their has been no steam launch?

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/wego-world-war-ii-stalingrad
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: joram on March 13, 2025, 06:01:57 AM
Yeah, I vaguely remember this one coming out.  I'd be interested too.  Wonder if it's a licensing issue.
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 13, 2025, 07:54:05 AM
I've reached out to Matrix/Slitherine for comment. Stay tuned.
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: Pete Dero on March 13, 2025, 08:07:34 AM
Quote from: Destraex on March 13, 2025, 03:34:50 AMIf I get it from the Matrix store, I just know I won't touch it.

Alternative :

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-add-non-steam-games-to-your-steam-library
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4B8B-9697-2338-40EC
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: Redwolf on March 13, 2025, 08:43:37 AM
Looks interesting.

I'm in the opposite camp, I require a non-steam version if I can have it.
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: Sigwolf on March 13, 2025, 09:41:41 AM
I've had this one, and the companion Desert War, on my Matrix wishlist for a while hoping for a Steam release.  Maybe someday.
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: CaptainKoloth on March 13, 2025, 10:33:37 AM
There is a relatively large percentage of the Matrix library that never comes to Steam. It seems to be based on their perception of whether it will have a larger market- if they deem it more of a niche game, it stays on Matrix, maybe (I speculate) on the assumption that the diehard fans will buy it no matter where it is and that way they don't have to give Steam the 30% revenue cut. Good example of this: Gary Grigsby's War in the East and War in the West (all this Grigsby guy does is start wars) are both on Steam and have been from their launch as far as I know, whereas his War in the Pacific, which was developed contemporaneously and is definitely much more of a niche title due to its complexity, never has been.
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: Sigwolf on March 13, 2025, 03:31:43 PM
Since Matrix also gives you the Steam key when you purchase direct, I try to make the purchase on Matrix, so I have it in both locations.  They don't have to worry about the 30% Steam cut from me, I just want it on my most used game launcher, complete with auto-updates.   :tophat:
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: CaptainKoloth on March 13, 2025, 05:30:38 PM
Quote from: Sigwolf on March 13, 2025, 03:31:43 PMSince Matrix also gives you the Steam key when you purchase direct, I try to make the purchase on Matrix, so I have it in both locations.  They don't have to worry about the 30% Steam cut from me, I just want it on my most used game launcher, complete with auto-updates.   :tophat:

Well you know that, but Matrix doesn't know that  :laugh:
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: Destraex on March 13, 2025, 05:40:38 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on March 13, 2025, 08:07:34 AM
Quote from: Destraex on March 13, 2025, 03:34:50 AMIf I get it from the Matrix store, I just know I won't touch it.

Alternative :

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-add-non-steam-games-to-your-steam-library
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4B8B-9697-2338-40EC

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually used to do this but it kind of defeats the point of steams update and management feature.
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: Destraex on March 13, 2025, 05:42:31 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 13, 2025, 07:54:05 AMI've reached out to Matrix/Slitherine for comment. Stay tuned.

Thanks Jarhead. If the matrix store gave purchasers a steam key i'd be there.
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: Destraex on March 13, 2025, 05:46:40 PM
Quote from: CaptainKoloth on March 13, 2025, 10:33:37 AMThere is a relatively large percentage of the Matrix library that never comes to Steam. It seems to be based on their perception of whether it will have a larger market- if they deem it more of a niche game, it stays on Matrix, maybe (I speculate) on the assumption that the diehard fans will buy it no matter where it is and that way they don't have to give Steam the 30% revenue cut. Good example of this: Gary Grigsby's War in the East and War in the West (all this Grigsby guy does is start wars) are both on Steam and have been from their launch as far as I know, whereas his War in the Pacific, which was developed contemporaneously and is definitely much more of a niche title due to its complexity, never has been.

On the one hand it's good to have alternatives to steam and it's good that matrix get more money off direct purchases. On the other hand you would think getting to s larger audience via steam would eventually bring more fans and more business.
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: CaptainKoloth on March 13, 2025, 09:23:20 PM
Quote from: Destraex on March 13, 2025, 05:46:40 PM
Quote from: CaptainKoloth on March 13, 2025, 10:33:37 AMThere is a relatively large percentage of the Matrix library that never comes to Steam. It seems to be based on their perception of whether it will have a larger market- if they deem it more of a niche game, it stays on Matrix, maybe (I speculate) on the assumption that the diehard fans will buy it no matter where it is and that way they don't have to give Steam the 30% revenue cut. Good example of this: Gary Grigsby's War in the East and War in the West (all this Grigsby guy does is start wars) are both on Steam and have been from their launch as far as I know, whereas his War in the Pacific, which was developed contemporaneously and is definitely much more of a niche title due to its complexity, never has been.

On the one hand it's good to have alternatives to steam and it's good that matrix get more money off direct purchases. On the other hand you would think getting to s larger audience via steam would eventually bring more fans and more business.

I will invoke one of the forbidden evil demons here: this is a lesson that the owners of Stormpowered Games never learned.
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: Destraex on March 14, 2025, 08:14:36 AM
Yeah. I still wish SES Jutland and the other one in the series were on steam to this day. I'd play it more for sure.
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: Redwolf on March 14, 2025, 08:44:13 AM
Quote from: Destraex on March 14, 2025, 08:14:36 AMYeah. I still wish SES Jutland and the other one in the series were on steam to this day. I'd play it more for sure.

Ohhh. Distant Guns. I still have the book that Norm recommended. Never bought the game.

What a shame that they picked a DRM fight on that scale. What was the name of Norm's obnoxious sidekick? Jim Rose?
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: solops on March 14, 2025, 12:36:54 PM
I ALWAYS buy direct from Matrix. Up until Distant Worlds 2 they gave the best service to their direct customers, and still do on most games. But mainly, screw Steam and get more $$$ to the devs by buying direct.
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: Destraex on March 14, 2025, 05:20:41 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on March 14, 2025, 08:44:13 AM
Quote from: Destraex on March 14, 2025, 08:14:36 AMYeah. I still wish SES Jutland and the other one in the series were on steam to this day. I'd play it more for sure.

Ohhh. Distant Guns. I still have the book that Norm recommended. Never bought the game.

What a shame that they picked a DRM fight on that scale. What was the name of Norm's obnoxious sidekick? Jim Rose?
I did not really take note of the politics of the game. Creative types are nearly always eccentric, so I excuse some of that stuff.
As for the book, I am curious as to whether it was "steel castles", which I own and have read.
Title: Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?
Post by: JudgeDredd on March 18, 2025, 04:39:58 PM
Seems like another AI video. "REESE unit" - I assume, looking at the counters, it's talking about RECCE units