GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: mirth on September 08, 2012, 01:14:17 PM

Title: Tornado in Queens & Brooklyn
Post by: mirth on September 08, 2012, 01:14:17 PM
Pretty wild.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/tornado-touches-queens-brooklyn-article-1.1154892
Title: Re: Tornado in Queens & Brooklyn
Post by: LongBlade on September 08, 2012, 05:09:10 PM
Saw that.

I figure DHS only spent about a half million bucks confirming that it wasn't terrorist related.
Title: Re: Tornado in Queens & Brooklyn
Post by: Capn Darwin on September 08, 2012, 05:16:37 PM
Same system that put us in the basement at 3am last night for a while. Thankfully never went to ground around here this time.
Title: Re: Tornado in Queens & Brooklyn
Post by: Gusington on September 09, 2012, 02:19:43 PM
It was about a mile from my Mom. Same front tested my generator last night for about 5 hours.
Title: Re: Tornado in Queens & Brooklyn
Post by: DoctorQuest on September 09, 2012, 04:07:18 PM
It is really weird having folks I work with on the east coast ask me as a Nebraskan if I worry about tornados.....

....and then this happens.

Say what you like but we've been having some odd weather over the last few years.
Title: Re: Tornado in Queens & Brooklyn
Post by: Staggerwing on September 09, 2012, 04:34:09 PM
The End Times are Nigh...

-Talk Radio Says so!


At least one guy will be happy:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fdemonwinner.free.fr%2Fusa%2F2003Baltimore%2Fusa_balti_2003_fantasysingleminiature_gold_jason_richards__archaon_and_flame_sword%2C_lord_of_the_end_time.jpg&hash=f466b91aaa0c1878199fe2940dd8ebdffbbf5f62)
Title: Re: Tornado in Queens & Brooklyn
Post by: LongBlade on September 09, 2012, 05:02:09 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on September 09, 2012, 04:07:18 PM
It is really weird having folks I work with on the east coast ask me as a Nebraskan if I worry about tornados.....

After I heard about it I looked at radar. Honestly, while there was some storm activity, I couldn't pick out the offending cell. So I figured that while it may very well have been a tornado, it was a pretty weak one.

Knocking out the power was probably more widespread because cells like these re so uncommon - weak branches might get tested for snow but not high winds. Thus the blackout.
Title: Re: Tornado in Queens & Brooklyn
Post by: TheCommandTent on September 09, 2012, 09:56:43 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 09, 2012, 02:19:43 PM
It was about a mile from my Mom. Same front tested my generator last night for about 5 hours.

Yeah there was some nasty wind and rain in that front.  We lost power for a couple hours but thankfully no damage.
Title: Re: Tornado in Queens & Brooklyn
Post by: Gusington on September 10, 2012, 07:07:07 PM
^Sweet. We didn't have any damage either. And Mom wasn't tossed to Oz. Better luck next time for that.