GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: Barthheart on September 10, 2012, 09:20:32 PM

Title: Voyager I about to leave the Solar System....
Post by: Barthheart on September 10, 2012, 09:20:32 PM
35 years after launch, Voyager 1 is nearing the boundry between our solar system and the interstellar space of the Milkyway, 11 billion miles from home, and it's still working..... too cool.  8)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/04/voyager-1-spacecraft-stars_n_1853734.html


Title: Re: Voyager I about to leave the Solar System....
Post by: TheCommandTent on September 10, 2012, 09:25:46 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on September 10, 2012, 09:20:32 PM
35 years after launch, Voyager 1 is nearing the boundry between our solar system and the interstellar space of the Milkyway, 11 billion miles from home, and it's still working..... too cool.  8)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/04/voyager-1-spacecraft-stars_n_1853734.html

Agree, too cool indeed.  To bad the imaging capabilities are no longer functioning.
Title: Re: Voyager I about to leave the Solar System....
Post by: Barthheart on September 10, 2012, 09:28:14 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 10, 2012, 09:25:46 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on September 10, 2012, 09:20:32 PM
35 years after launch, Voyager 1 is nearing the boundry between our solar system and the interstellar space of the Milkyway, 11 billion miles from home, and it's still working..... too cool.  8)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/04/voyager-1-spacecraft-stars_n_1853734.html

Agree, too cool indeed.  To bad the imaging capabilities are no longer functioning.

Yeah but it's still sending back tons of data..... what's beyond the curtain?  ???  :)
Title: Re: Voyager I about to leave the Solar System....
Post by: MIGMaster on September 10, 2012, 09:36:12 PM
Very interesting indeed. Hard to believe the thing has been travelling that long....
Title: Re: Voyager I about to leave the Solar System....
Post by: LongBlade on September 10, 2012, 09:52:46 PM
Stunning stuff. They built it to last. But NASA has been on a real winning streak with that kind of longevity. Say what you will, they seem to be able to deliver on budget and over quality. I wish all our tax dollars worked so well.
Title: Re: Voyager I about to leave the Solar System....
Post by: MetalDog on September 10, 2012, 11:06:28 PM
I dig knowledge like that.  No matter what it gleans in the space beyond our borders, it will be something we don't know already.  How awesome is THAT!
Title: Re: Voyager I about to leave the Solar System....
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 10, 2012, 11:46:20 PM
NASA has been using trailing edge technology for at least 3 decades.  thats why their stuff lasts so long.
its proven and affordable.
Title: Re: Voyager I about to leave the Solar System....
Post by: besilarius on September 11, 2012, 05:41:20 AM
You do realise that the craft has one piece of cutting edge technology that will last forever in the depths of space?
Eight Track tape recorder.
So long after CDs, floppy discs, and whatever future memory devices become dusty relics, a little 8track recorder will still be going.