I have gave up on thinking on a smart ass comment for post, there are those on here who will do it justice.
Quote
A Canadian police officer was among three people charged as the country's authorities announced they had busted a major cheese-smuggling ring.
A joint US-Canadian investigation found C$200,000 (£125,600) of cheese and other products were illicitly brought over the border into southern Ontario.
The smugglers sold large quantities of cheese, which is cheaper in the US, to restaurants, it is alleged.
The other two men charged were civilians, one a former police officer.
The Niagara Regional Police (NRP) announced the charges in a news release on Thursday.
Constable Scott Heron, 39, a member of the NRP, faces counts of conspiracy, smuggling and other violations of customs law.
Casey Langelaan, 48, a former member of the police force, and Bernie Pollino, 44, a resident of Fort Erie, face the same charges.
In their statement, Niagara police said an investigation had been ongoing since January 2012. Mr Heron was suspended from the police force in June.
"The network involved the purchasing of cases of cheese and other food items and transporting these cases into Canada, without declaring the items or paying duty," police said.
Once the cases arrived the country, they were distributed to restaurants in southern Ontario.
The accused allegedly made a profit of over C$165,000.
The charges come three days after CBC News first reported the force was conducting an internal investigation into cheese smuggling.
A pizzeria owner west of Niagara Falls told CBC that he had been questioned by police over the issue, but assured them he had not bought any contraband dairy.
"We get all our stuff legit," said the restaurateur. "We thought it was a joke at first. Who is going to go around trying to sell smuggled cheese?"
Only C$20 or 20kg (44lb) of dairy products can be brought into Canada duty free, according to Canadian Border Services Agency spokeswoman Jean D'Amelio Swyer.
Civil penalties for smuggling can amount to 245.5% the value of the product.
Canadian cheese prices are higher because of restrictions by the country's dairy board, as well as tight controls on US imports of cheaper cheese.
Glad to know they busted that ring. Lord knows how big a threat American cheese is to Canadian consumers. Let's just hope this didn't spread any further - Swiss cheese, Monterrey Jack, and Hvarti would cover most of the globe. I'm not sure the Canadian armed forces are up to the task of a simultaneous assault from all those countries.
This could blow holes in the Gouda market.
I hope this doesn't put a WEDGE between US and Canadian relations.
Windy - HELP!!!!
Quote from: LongBlade on September 27, 2012, 04:26:08 PM
I hope this doesn't put a WEDGE between US and Canadian relations.
;D
Government mandated monopoly screws the public to increase profits for well connected sectors. Shred it I say!
really..... cheese?
WTF is wrong with Canadistan?
theres some really good weed thats grown in Canadistan and youre messing around with cheese?
sadly I can see Windy as the head of that cartel.
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 27, 2012, 05:31:34 PM
really..... cheese?
WTF is wrong with Canadistan?
theres some really good weed thats grown in Canadistan and youre messing around with cheese?
sadly I can see Windy as the head of that cartel.
I agree completely. I mean American sucks! Totally tasteless compared to good Canadian cheddar.... :P
We take our cheese very seriously. Don't get wrong Star...I see you point about weed - but hey, it just doesn't cut it when it comes to burgers or poutine!!! ;)
but weed is what makes the burgers taste better!
at 3am
so Ive heard.
So "They" call "Us" "Cheeseheads"!!
What would Alanis Morrisette say about that?
Who cut the cheese anyway?
dont laugh.
it was the underworlds Green Bay cheese cartel that really got the refs back.
the issue with cheese smuggling is that in Canada we have a supply management system that guarentees a price for raw milk to dairy farmers, essentially protecting them, but keeping prices high for consumers.
This is why canadians cross the border into the US and buy up vast amounts of dairy products, they are much cheaper....
Moo-ving over to what bob was saying, I believe we've milked this subject for what its worth and I have udder disregard for any further word play.... so for-gouda-bout-it
Well said Windy - you're quite right, this subject has gone sour on us now :-)
I didnt realize Canadistanian dairy prices put such a bitter rind on the cheese trade.
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 02, 2012, 01:22:19 PM
I didnt realize Canadistanian dairy prices put such a bitter rind on the cheese trade.
That was pretty good.
The good news is that the Canadian Research Council has come-up with an internal combustion engine that runs efficiently without gas/oil. The bad news is that it runs on cheese.
That's crackers.
Kurds.
theyre gonna have to learn how to do wit or witout.