Quote
10:46 AM ET
Basil Plumley, Army veteran of 3 wars, dies at 92
Retired Command Sgt. Maj. Basil L. Plumley, who fought in some of the U.S. Army's bloodiest battles in three wars, died Wednesday in Columbus, Georgia. He was 92.
Plumley saw action in some of the largest battles of World War II, including the Battle of Normandy, the Battle of Salerno in Italy and Operation Market Garden.
He then fought in the Korean War, but it was his role in the Battle of Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam that brought him the most fame. The battle was chronicled in the book "We Were Soldiers Once ... and Young," which was later a 2002 movie starring Mel Gibson. Sam Elliott played Plumley.
The National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning, Georgia, tweeted a picture of Elliot and Plumley in noting the veteran's death.
RIP, hero.
Sound off.
RIP
Yeah, saw that over at ACG.
RIP Sergeant Major. I hope that you're having a good morning over on the other side.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-Yp-TpuTmZWI%2FUGzbhM6aWZI%2FAAAAAAAAQjA%2FIAPSUBRpx_Y%2Fs400%2Fplumley.JPG&hash=df21bfacfc5e299905a50108d146acd179ec5b84)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi213.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fcc23%2Fvet44%2FPlumleyMoore.jpg&hash=e6f0d8763f350e28ec2e1d3f5d125cdd92cd021c)
R.I.P. and thank you for all you did for our country and our people.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 11, 2012, 01:10:03 PM
Quote
He then fought in the Korean War, but it was his role in the Battle of Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam that brought him the most fame. The battle was chronicled in the book "We Were Soldiers Once ... and Young," which was later a 2002 movie starring Mel Gibson. Sam Elliott played Plumley.
The National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning, Georgia, tweeted a picture of Elliot and Plumley in noting the veteran's death.
RIP, hero.
Sound off.
wow, i thought that guy was hollywood fiction, all action hero - to read here that he was a real guy is outstanding - man's a legend
Thank you. May the Gods of Battle release you to the Gods of Home and Hearth for your rest.
RiP CSM.
R.I.P. what a great man.
RIP and thank you
R.I.P. Don't even know what else I can say that will do justice to the guy.
For him to be so bad ass while looking like a humble guy speaks to his great character.
Very admirable.
RIP.
R.I.P. to a hero.
A friend of mine had the honor of caring for him in his last days (she's a resident at the hospital where he passed). RIP CSM.
R.I.P
I remember being impressed with this guy when I read 'We were Soldiers once'. Sad to see him go, but I hope he'll be remembered for a long time.