GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: eyebiter on November 07, 2012, 04:59:18 AM

Title: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: eyebiter on November 07, 2012, 04:59:18 AM
But don't worry, this time DRM on the missiles will ensure they won't be misused...

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2012/11/could-new-technology-deter-risks-of-arming-syrian-rebels.html
Title: Re: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: LongBlade on November 07, 2012, 06:12:46 AM
Interesting.
Title: Re: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: MIGMaster on November 07, 2012, 06:25:09 AM
I hope they're smart enough not to do that.... there is always someone who is going to figure out how to hack the system. And if the past is any indication, rebels have short memories about who helped them looking at Libya, Afghanistan, etc.... Enough NATO troops have died helping in the cause of freedom....now it's time for them to help themselves.
Title: Re: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: LongBlade on November 07, 2012, 06:27:29 AM
Quote from: MIGMaster on November 07, 2012, 06:25:09 AM
I hope they're smart enough not to do that.... there is always someone who is going to figure out how to hack the system. And if the past is any indication, rebels have short memories about who helped them looking at Libya, Afghanistan, etc.... Enough NATO troops have died helping in the cause of freedom....now it's time for them to help themselves.

It's my understanding that there are no "good guys" in Syria from our perspective. The best we can do is ship them guns and let them kill themselves for the betterment of all.
Title: Re: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: LongBlade on November 07, 2012, 06:29:10 AM
A bit of housekeeping - I've moved this to Current Events instead of Politics.
Title: Re: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 07, 2012, 11:56:44 AM
So the idea is to arm Al Qaeda with stingers?  I'm sure the Turks will really appreciate that.
Title: Re: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: Centurion40 on November 07, 2012, 01:02:30 PM
Like Migsy said, this is a no-win situation.  Best to stay out of it.

I'd be delighted if a moderate, democratic Syrian (and Lebanese, etc.) state emerged from the civil war.  But, IMHO, that isn't going to happen in my lifetime.  There is no horse to bet on.
Title: Re: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: Martok on November 07, 2012, 01:17:26 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 07, 2012, 11:56:44 AM
So the idea is to arm Al Qaeda with stingers?  I'm sure the Turks will really appreciate that.
Not just Al-Qaeda.  Hezbollah too...  ::) 


Title: Re: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 07, 2012, 01:34:08 PM
I guess that from a realpolitik standpoint, if the US is trying to follow the British Imperial model, it might be desirable for them to keep the region unstable, but I still don't like it.

Also, why are we suddenly so concerned with the plight of the Syrian people yet not one word is said about what's going on with the populist revolt against the autocrat in Bahrain?

Title: Re: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: Martok on November 07, 2012, 02:15:36 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 07, 2012, 01:34:08 PM
Also, why are we suddenly so concerned with the plight of the Syrian people yet not one word is said about what's going on with the populist revolt against the autocrat in Bahrain?
Because we don't have the Sixth Fleet headquartered out of Latakia. 


Title: Re: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: Centurion40 on November 07, 2012, 02:16:40 PM
Probably because Bahrain is friendly towards us.  Democracy could usher-in a theocracy which could be unfriendly towards us.
Title: Re: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: LongBlade on November 07, 2012, 05:37:20 PM
Quote from: Martok on November 07, 2012, 02:15:36 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 07, 2012, 01:34:08 PM
Also, why are we suddenly so concerned with the plight of the Syrian people yet not one word is said about what's going on with the populist revolt against the autocrat in Bahrain?
Because we don't have the Sixth Fleet headquartered out of Latakia.

As romantic as 40Cent's theory is, I'm going with Martok.
Title: Re: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: Martok on November 08, 2012, 10:48:12 AM
Well 40Cent's statement is correct, as far as it goes.  It is *a* reason; I'm just pretty sure the *main* reason is because the Fifth is based there. 


Title: Re: Stingers for the Syrian Rebels
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 08, 2012, 11:30:39 AM
Yeah, I know.  I just get bothered by the hypocrisy.  Every time I see that cow Hillary or that public school dickhead stridently pound their chests and decry the evil regime, i just want to slap the smug off their faces.