This is an interesting article on a recently declassified article that discusses the state of supercomputers in 1995. The NSA felt that Cray Research was integral to their continued success. And they were wrong. At least in this one report.
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/11/top-secret-nsa-report/
Yup. It's funny how college students never talk about going to the VAXLab any more, either.
I was actually working in the technology field (if only for a few years) in the mid-90s. While there some futurists sketching out lots of different scenarios in 1995, I don't think anybody had any idea where the real future of computing was going. They knew a big chunk of it was headed to the distributed processing world, but what that meant, how it would be used, and what else would be left were questions that nobody had any clear answers to.
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 15, 2012, 10:46:57 AM
Yup. It's funny how college students never talk about going to the VAXLab any more, either.
I was actually working in the technology field (if only for a few years) in the mid-90s. While there some futurists sketching out lots of different scenarios in 1995, I don't think anybody had any idea where the real future of computing was going. They knew a big chunk of it was headed to the distributed processing world, but what that meant, how it would be used, and what else would be left were questions that nobody had any clear answers to.
And now it looks like we're headed back toward centralized processing.
It's 2012. When am I going to get my hovercar, damn it?!
hovercars are sooo 2010.
jet packs man! jet packs!
Pfft. Wearable site-to-site matter transporters are the way to go.