I know this isn't a good thing...but is it a really bad thing? Current tuition is 48k, throw in room and board, books, and other things the total is probably about 62k a year.
The admissions office had tabulated 78 percent of the Class of 2015 as top high school students, but this summer, the provost's office spotted an error that showed the figure was actually 58 percent. That finding could bruise GW's national ranking in U.S. News & World Report, but likely only by a few slots, if any.
About two-thirds of high schools nationwide don't rank their students. But the admissions office estimated that admitted students who earned top standardized test scores and grade point averages were in the top 10 percent of their high school class anyway – even if they weren't ranked.
http://www.gwhatchet.com/2012/11/12/gw-under-scrutiny-for-inflated-admissions-data/
I'm not sure if it's a pride thing or not.
Who cares if (for example) they are ranked 18th instead of 14th? I'm not sure it matters. It's a top school. That's what matters.
Oh...this is just peachy keen........over 60k a year total and they lost their ranking..
U.S. News & World Report knocked GW out of its top colleges rankings Wednesday – a week after the University disclosed that it has been significantly inflating admissions data.
GW will now be listed as "unranked" in the magazine's 2013 list, which was released in September. It was originally ranked No. 51 this year. U.S. News' Director of Data Research Robert Morse had said last week that changes made to GW's ranking would likely be insignificant, but announced the major blow on his blog Wednesday. The unranked status will last until next fall's ranking.
http://blogs.gwhatchet.com/newsroom/2012/11/14/u-s-news-kicks-gw-out-of-rankings-after-data-misreporting/
they have 3 more years to get back up there before your daughter graduates don't they?
Quote from: Windigo on November 14, 2012, 05:22:44 PM
they have 3 more years to get back up there before your daughter graduates don't they?
I'm with Windy on this. SoM will be the expert, but my gut tells me that they've got time for this to blow over.
It's better to be ranked, but I don't think anyone's job prospects will suddenly dry up because of this. It's not great news, but I don't think it's the end of the world.
SoM spends too much time in the basement. Heck, the title of the thread calls him here........
This will probably end up being more drama. She graduates in a little over 3 years and then 5 years in the Navy....I don't think it will have an effect on her.
BUTT!!!!
I need SoM to give me some guidance on this before Thanksgiving break....
let me know when(if?) he's modding.... I'll get his attention to this thread
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fserve.mysmiley.net%2Finnocent%2Finnocent0006.gif&hash=096cd5ea216efe2c62ec49153838bd3b2c0ef728)
Quote from: Windigo on November 14, 2012, 06:19:04 PM
let me know when(if?) he's modding.... I'll get his attention to this thread
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fserve.mysmiley.net%2Finnocent%2Finnocent0006.gif&hash=096cd5ea216efe2c62ec49153838bd3b2c0ef728)
Well sweetheart...he isn't here!
Okay Snowball go straight to 1:25 in the below video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhLDyolExAo
Sorry, bad experiences at "the other site" taught me never to go in the CE thread.
For current students, this means very little. Most of academic America knows the quality of a GW education, which is very close to Ivy League, if not actually considered Ivy League by many already. The students that do well will be fine. If you graduate from most any university with good marks, good service, and good coursework then you are good to go.
What this will effect is school enrollment in the future. People look at those sites for guidance when picking a school, so not being ranked is a little like not having Car Fax when buying a car. Most people won't care but a few people will feel uneasy. If enrollment drops, GW may have to make cuts or delay hiring. IMHO, this actually hurts the scholars at GW and the academic community more than the students, as GW may not replace a retired professor or may not give as much research funding if their enrollment drops.
I suspect they will have the problem fixed by 2013-2014 enrollment, however.
I should also note that the enrollment criteria for GW did not change, which is notably selective. Nor did the quality if the faculty, which is world renowned in some fields. The network she builds there is not reliant on school ranking... so there is little to worry about.