Oh noes! (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/16/hostess-brands-to-liquidate-lay-off-18500-after-crippling-union-fight/) :-[
Hope another non-union (>:() bakery gets the rights to make'em.
I blame the Mayans and their end of time prophecies! We needed those twinkies to survive now we are boned
Con
Is this situation is another New Coke?
Hostess has been suffering falling sales for many years now. They haven't gotten on the health food bandwagon or tried to reformulate the product.
Now we have the threat of 'no more Twinkies oh noes' to induce panic buying. In a few days most of the baked goods will be gone from the retail stores.
Since the unions didn't "play ball" they get blamed for the closing. Meanwhile the executives responsible for restructuring will get a big payoff.
Of course the American people won't stand for the loss of their cherished American icon.
Soon after Hostess brings back the Twinkie to great fanfare.
I don't think its New Coke syndrome and the idea of a "healthy" Twinkie is just wrong :o
If Hostess goes completely under, I suspect some company or Donald Trump-type will come along and buy the rights and Twinkies will survive.
so thats ummmm a victory for the union?
give us more money or we go on strike - actualy youve lost your jobs and killed off an icon - well done unions, well done
Sounds like the British car industry to me.
USA needs the Thatch - thatll sort em
Good grief man - you can't wish that on 'em, they're our friends y'know.
you up for my balls in your face tomorrow?
How can a girl refuse an offer like that.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.troydillinger.com%2Fphotos%2Fgirls%2Fweek%2F030505b.jpg&hash=50b0b7d83e8b41e5ef47c25cecf64feea7077eed)
^I think thats one offer I can refuse without too much of a problem.
Quote from: Centurion40 on November 16, 2012, 03:49:48 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.troydillinger.com%2Fphotos%2Fgirls%2Fweek%2F030505b.jpg&hash=50b0b7d83e8b41e5ef47c25cecf64feea7077eed)
we're at a dangerous crossroads here Cent, do you actually have a library of offensive pictures that you can call on, whatever the subject, or did you sit at home and type 'pictures of skanks with twinkies in their cleavage'?
either way
youre ace!!!
Gentlemen, please!
The offer appears to stand. Anyone have her number?
0898 munters with confectionery?
Isn't this how Zombieland began??? :D
Quote from: eyebiter on November 16, 2012, 11:49:21 AM
Is this situation is another New Coke?
Hostess has been suffering falling sales for many years now. They haven't gotten on the health food bandwagon or tried to reformulate the product.
Now we have the threat of 'no more Twinkies oh noes' to induce panic buying. In a few days most of the baked goods will be gone from the retail stores.
Since the unions didn't "play ball" they get blamed for the closing. Meanwhile the executives responsible for restructuring will get a big payoff.
Of course the American people won't stand for the loss of their cherished American icon.
Soon after Hostess brings back the Twinkie to great fanfare.
Actually, they were already in bankruptcy and the bankruptcy judge had sided with Hostess on the new contract terms. All others unions representing different parts of Hostess employees had already agreed to the same terms that the bakers union rejected. The union leadership for the bakers just screwed about 18,500 people out of their jobs. Happy Holidays !!! I wonder if the 70% of those that are losing their jobs because of the one union can sue the union.
Hopefully most of this 70% will be able to get their jobs back if someone comes along and buys up some of the pieces.
Wasn't that twinkie the mayor of Halifax?
And now people are trying to sell boxes of them on Ebay.
Some are going for as much as $80 a box (asking price).
http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/16/boxes-of-twinkies-ho-hos-going-for-100-and-more-on-ebay/
Those silly bidders still don't realize that the half-life of a Twinkie sends even Plutonium into an emotional crisis of inadequacy. Indeed, when the heat-death of the Universe manifests itself there will be no one left to eat the still-viable twinkies.
Sigh!
I remember seeing Twinkies and Cupcakes being shilled by Buffalo Bob on Howdie Doody in the early fifties.
they had tv back then? WOW! ;)
Snagged one of the few remaining boxes off the shelf at the local Wal-Mart on the way home tonight. Maybe I should try to sell it on eBay. :) Screw it I am just gonna eat them and enjoy it.
Hey, after eating those twinkies maybe you too can survive the heat-death of the Universe...
The IP for those items has to be worth something. Someone will buy the name if nothing else. I seriously doubt they're gone for good.
Probably there are several buyers already in the wings putting deals together.
They are going to auction off the property. Given the some 3 billion dollars (and much of that from the millions of Twinkies and loaves of Wonderbread), these are hot ticket items. Some bakery company (probably Bimbo, yes Bimbo, the world's largest bread baker) will grab those twinkies. I don't know why they need bakers in the bakers union, however. I would have thought that the miners and chemists unions would be responsible for the Twinkie, given the ingredients.
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 16, 2012, 08:41:34 PM
they had tv back then? WOW! ;)
Oh, yes, we did. But the universe had not expanded beyond black and white yet.
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 16, 2012, 02:45:15 PM
you up for my balls in your face tomorrow?
That is one of the funniest things I have EVER read on any forum! And kudos to bob for taking it all in stride :-)
yes Bob, great way to take it on the chin.
Quote from: MetalDog on November 16, 2012, 11:56:56 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 16, 2012, 02:45:15 PM
you up for my balls in your face tomorrow?
That is one of the funniest things I have EVER read on any forum! And kudos to bob for taking it all in stride :-)
I can think of no better way to invite bob to a little blood bowl MP!
I hope that I will give geek ample chance to inspect the spikey parts of my boots - at very close quarters I may add.
I can like without the Twinkies. This is what I'm going to miss:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstoneunhinged.files.wordpress.com%2F2006%2F03%2Fneta-hostess1.jpeg%3Fw%3D640&hash=084289e5aab403399a75339f46113971c61216e9)
^The apple ones were the bestest ever! I haven't had one in a quarter century or so. Also, is it my faulty memory or did they make a chocolate filled version?
I'll be okay without Twinkies. I consumed several lifetimes worth when I was 16.
the judge has ordered them into mediation before they can sell off the company (or its parts).
looks like the union might get a do-over, but if the bakers negotiate a better deal than the other unions, what happens when those others decide to renegotiate to the same deal as the bakers and suddenly they're out of business again for spiraling labor costs.
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 19, 2012, 08:08:25 PM
the judge has ordered them into mediation before they can sell off the company (or its parts).
looks like the union might get a do-over, but if the bakers negotiate a better deal than the other unions, what happens when those others decide to renegotiate to the same deal as the bakers and suddenly they're out of business again for spiraling labor costs.
Poison Twinkies from China?
Yeah. The creamy white stuff inside will be Melamine frosting...
Ummm...Melamine
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Feinsteinsdesk.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F06%2Fdrooling-homer-simpson.jpg&hash=7041acd1dcc1c95b2f81bde697e369df06ca1909) (http://einsteinsdesk.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/drooling-homer-simpson.jpg)
Quote from: Staggerwing on November 19, 2012, 07:58:34 PM
^The apple ones were the bestest ever! I haven't had one in a quarter century or so. Also, is it my faulty memory or did they make a chocolate filled version?
They did!!
And interesting perspective on Hostess from George Will (http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-will-digesting-the-twinkies-lessons/2012/11/23/bbd63dd4-3416-11e2-9cfa-e41bac906cc9_story.html) - in part comparing Hostess to GM
QuoteAmazingly, Washington did not offer Hostess a bailout. This discriminatory policy may be a constitutional violation — denial of equal protection of the laws.
Since the onset of the financial crisis, the government has decided that some SIFIs are TBTF — some systemically important financial institutions are too big to fail. Why, any fair-minded person will ask, was Hostess not TBTF?
Granted, it was not big in the technical, crabbed, hairsplitting, narrow-minded way that "big" is normally understood, as a boring matter of mere size. It was, however, big in what matters most — in boomers' minds. They fondly remember opening their Roy Rogers or Hopalong Cassidy or Davy Crockett lunchboxes at school and finding Twinkies nestled next to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches made of Wonder Bread (another endangered Hostess species). Stendhal said that the only way ice cream could be better is if it were a sin. Boomers, a generation of food scolds, became adults who considered Twinkies and other sugary things sinful. They should be shedding scalding tears of remorse.
Anyway, why GM and not Hostess? The Troubled Assets Relief Program, a.k.a. TARP, was passed to rescue financial institutions. But Washington reasoned: "What's legality among cronies?" So soon TARP was succoring GM, which was not a financial institution. It was not even a car company. It was a health-care provider unsuccessfully trying to sell cars fast enough to generate enough revenue to pay health benefits for its employees and approximately twice as many retirees.
maybe they werent offered a bailout because of the first bitches ladys fat campaign.
Sometimes I do not want to be seen with you guys.
dont lie.
you love us.