GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: LongBlade on December 05, 2012, 10:09:15 PM

Title: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: LongBlade on December 05, 2012, 10:09:15 PM
I get the fact that this involves Kurds, but the Turks have their own Kurdish issues.

Just what we need to see is increased tension in that area by two new parties, Iraq & Turkey.

(You'd think Iraq has learned its lesson not to mess with NATO, but maybe not...)

QuoteA Kurdistan Regional Government spokesman expressed hope Wednesday that only a temporary "technical issue" led the Iraqi government to deny permission for Turkey's energy minister to fly to the autonomous Kurdish region in northern Iraq.

Energy Minister Taner Yildiz's plane was forced to turn around in mid-flight Tuesday. He was in a private plane flying to Irbil, the Kurdistan region's capital, to attend a three-day conference on oil and gas.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/05/world/meast/turkey-iraq-kurd-tensions/index.html?hpt=hp_bn2
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Gusington on December 05, 2012, 10:12:09 PM
Oy vey enough already. Middle East 2012 makes Europe 1912 look sane.
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: MikeGER on December 06, 2012, 03:49:14 AM
Thank God i am a little to old for trench warfare participation  ;) 
(but cut learn to operate or maybe help maintain a combat drone in zerotime ;D  when the fatherland calls)
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Centurion40 on December 06, 2012, 09:02:11 AM
Quote from: Gusington on December 05, 2012, 10:12:09 PM
Oy vey enough already. Middle East 2012 makes Europe 1912 look sane.

All the more reason to expedite the development of a viable alternative to oil, so that when their 1914 arrives they can duke it out on their own.
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 06, 2012, 10:16:20 AM
just repeat after me:

neutron bombs are our friend.  :)
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: W8taminute on December 06, 2012, 11:56:22 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 06, 2012, 10:16:20 AM
just repeat after me:

neutron bombs are our friend.  :)

+1 Especially for Turkey.  Can you guess my heritage?
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 06, 2012, 12:03:53 PM
somewhere on the other side of the green line.
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Windigo on December 06, 2012, 12:44:53 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on December 06, 2012, 09:02:11 AM
Quote from: Gusington on December 05, 2012, 10:12:09 PM
Oy vey enough already. Middle East 2012 makes Europe 1912 look sane.

All the more reason to expedite the development of a viable alternative to oil, so that when their 1914 arrives they can duke it out on their own.

4th generation Nuke Reactors .... they are awesome

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fbravenewclimate.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F05%2Fnuclear_golf.png%3Fw%3D468%26amp%3Bh%3D218&hash=ae3b28558a4d0f530747263a6c34eeafc57a3c66)
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Martok on December 06, 2012, 03:27:42 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 06, 2012, 11:56:22 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 06, 2012, 10:16:20 AM
just repeat after me:

neutron bombs are our friend.  :)

+1 Especially for Turkey.  Can you guess my heritage?
Well it almost has to be either Greek or Armenian.  If you put a gun to my head, I'd bet on the latter. 


Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: W8taminute on December 06, 2012, 03:58:15 PM
^Martok, you are very astute.  Just curious, what gave it away?
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 06, 2012, 04:14:35 PM
your swarthy nature.
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Windigo on December 06, 2012, 05:01:54 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 06, 2012, 04:14:35 PM
your swarthy nature.

your penchant for goats?
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 06, 2012, 05:09:25 PM
that hair on your back.
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Longdan on December 06, 2012, 05:38:32 PM
Anyway you slice it them Turds are trouble makers.
I thought Bush Jr. took care of Iraq?
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: W8taminute on December 06, 2012, 06:52:54 PM
I won't lie.  I do have hair on my back.  It's not that bad though.   :D
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Gusington on December 06, 2012, 08:44:11 PM
^Take the sweater off man.
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: LongBlade on December 06, 2012, 09:28:19 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 06, 2012, 03:58:15 PM
^Martok, you are very astute.  Just curious, what gave it away?

Your accent.
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: MetalDog on December 06, 2012, 10:21:26 PM
That's pretty good, Martok.  Way to go!
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: W8taminute on December 07, 2012, 09:24:51 AM
Quote from: Gusington on December 06, 2012, 08:44:11 PM
^Take the sweater off man.

Ok, but you'll have to shave my back and deal with my unsightly pot belly.
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Barthheart on December 07, 2012, 09:38:54 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 07, 2012, 09:24:51 AM
Quote from: Gusington on December 06, 2012, 08:44:11 PM
^Take the sweater off man.

Ok, but you'll have to shave my back and deal with my unsightly pot belly.

It's not a pot belly.. it's reserves for the coming apocalypse!  8)
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: LongBlade on December 07, 2012, 09:39:57 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 07, 2012, 09:24:51 AM
Quote from: Gusington on December 06, 2012, 08:44:11 PM
^Take the sweater off man.

Ok, but you'll have to shave my back and deal with my unsightly pot belly.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's Smuck-the-Pain!
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Gusington on December 07, 2012, 11:37:50 AM
Keep the sweater on man!!
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Martok on December 07, 2012, 03:18:11 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 06, 2012, 03:58:15 PM
^Martok, you are very astute.  Just curious, what gave it away?
Thanks!  Although for me, at least, it honestly wasn't that hard to guess. 

My overall historical knowledge admittedly isn't very deep, but it's pretty broad, covering a good variety of regions/eras -- I'll never be a true scholar of history, but I've long been an enthusiastic amateur.  Anyway, my knowledge was sufficient to make me aware that sheer Law of Averages dictated it pretty much had to be one of those two nationalities; Armenia & Greece have been more Turkey's traditional enemies in the last century than anyone else I can think of. 

When you factor in the Armenian Genocide (and especially the feelings it would almost certainly engender among relatives/descendants of the victims & survivors), your comment about nuking Turkey made a lot more sense if you had Armenian heritage in your family.  (No doubt a good number of Greeks and Greek-descended folks have similarly strong feelings regarding Turkey, but I suspect the percentage of Armenian and Armenian-descended people who, ah, dislike that nation is far far higher...and that their emotions are of a much greater intensity.) 





Quote from: MetalDog on December 06, 2012, 10:21:26 PM
That's pretty good, Martok.  Way to go!
Takk!  Most kind.  :) 

Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Martok on December 07, 2012, 03:18:45 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 07, 2012, 11:37:50 AM
Keep the sweater on man!!
I second this.  I think it would be better for all concerned! 


Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: W8taminute on December 07, 2012, 04:27:27 PM
Thanks for explaining how you deduced my heritage.  I love your Vulcan logic, very sound!!

And yes, it would be best if I kept my sweater on. 
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Windigo on December 07, 2012, 05:27:28 PM
One of my son's aides was an Armenian. She was so sweet and perky and kind hearted .... until something was mentioned about Turkey .... well then
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Gusington on December 07, 2012, 06:01:31 PM
I have met one Armenian in my life, a very talented artist. He was a small guy, a few inches shorter than me, but really cut. Chicks loved him.
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Longdan on December 07, 2012, 11:30:31 PM
At least he wasn't a Turd.
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: W8taminute on December 08, 2012, 01:58:45 PM
Quote from: Windigo on December 07, 2012, 05:27:28 PM
.... until something was mentioned about Turkey .... well then

Yeah, I can relate.   ;)


Quote from: Gusington on December 07, 2012, 06:01:31 PM
I have met one Armenian in my life...

Now you can say you've met two.  Well online anyway.  I'm surprised you haven't run into anymore.  There are quite a few in the NY/NJ area. 
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: besilarius on December 08, 2012, 02:05:51 PM
Through a nascent girlefriend,  (Her family decided that being Irish was just too Odar.) met a number of Armenian families.
The girls all looked like Cher.  Couldn't quite figure out who the boys reminded me of, maybe Victor Mature.  They all acted like him.
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on December 08, 2012, 03:04:32 PM
Quote from: Windigo on December 06, 2012, 12:44:53 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on December 06, 2012, 09:02:11 AM
Quote from: Gusington on December 05, 2012, 10:12:09 PM
Oy vey enough already. Middle East 2012 makes Europe 1912 look sane.

All the more reason to expedite the development of a viable alternative to oil, so that when their 1914 arrives they can duke it out on their own.

4th generation Nuke Reactors .... they are awesome

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fbravenewclimate.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F05%2Fnuclear_golf.png%3Fw%3D468%26amp%3Bh%3D218&hash=ae3b28558a4d0f530747263a6c34eeafc57a3c66)


What kind of reactor is that? In the Win 3.1 PC game Outpost originally developed by NASA people they used the "Tokamak" reactor in the colony. Are you talking something better?
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on December 08, 2012, 03:07:02 PM
Quote from: Longdan on December 06, 2012, 05:38:32 PM
Anyway you slice it them Turds are trouble makers.
I thought Bush Jr. took care of Iraq?


Turds?
Is that a reference to the whole region?
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Longdan on December 08, 2012, 07:59:36 PM
The Turks and the Kurds refuse to get along.
Hence Turds.
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Martok on December 09, 2012, 01:37:42 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 07, 2012, 04:27:27 PM
Thanks for explaining how you deduced my heritage.  I love your Vulcan logic, very sound!!
Thank you!  I generally have a slightly more Romulan mindset than Vulcan (if only because I'm too emotional for the latter), but I accept the compliment nonetheless.  ;) 


Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Longdan on December 09, 2012, 02:39:35 PM
And I thought you was Klingon.  Now i am confused.
Cher is of Armenian heritage.  I had to say that.
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: W8taminute on December 10, 2012, 09:34:47 AM
Quote from: Martok on December 09, 2012, 01:37:42 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 07, 2012, 04:27:27 PM
Thanks for explaining how you deduced my heritage.  I love your Vulcan logic, very sound!!
Thank you!  I generally have a slightly more Romulan mindset than Vulcan (if only because I'm too emotional for the latter), but I accept the compliment nonetheless.  ;)

I stand corrected!  You learn something new about your fellow grogheads every day.  Let me rephrase then, I love your Romulan logic!
Title: Re: Turkey & Iraq?
Post by: Windigo on December 10, 2012, 11:39:25 AM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on December 08, 2012, 03:04:32 PM
Quote from: Windigo on December 06, 2012, 12:44:53 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on December 06, 2012, 09:02:11 AM
Quote from: Gusington on December 05, 2012, 10:12:09 PM
Oy vey enough already. Middle East 2012 makes Europe 1912 look sane.

All the more reason to expedite the development of a viable alternative to oil, so that when their 1914 arrives they can duke it out on their own.

4th generation Nuke Reactors .... they are awesome

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fbravenewclimate.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F05%2Fnuclear_golf.png%3Fw%3D468%26amp%3Bh%3D218&hash=ae3b28558a4d0f530747263a6c34eeafc57a3c66)


What kind of reactor is that? In the Win 3.1 PC game Outpost originally developed by NASA people they used the "Tokamak" reactor in the colony. Are you talking something better?




too many types of IVth gen "fission" reactors to just encapsulate them in a short paragraph so I will give you a link
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FGeneration_IV_reactor&hash=8b6047dde9a53fcaa3316ecf0f8141944ce1a669)

IIRC the Tokamak is a fusion reactor

FWIW, India is bringing online in the next few years a couple of Thorium reactors with Canada providing support .... these I believe in