GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: steve58 on December 11, 2012, 10:58:01 AM

Title: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: steve58 on December 11, 2012, 10:58:01 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/12/11/syrian-rebels-create-homemade-high-tech-tank/

Quote
A remote-controlled roof mounted 7.62 mm gun fitted with its own camera is operated by a gunner in the passenger seat using the handset from a Playstation as he watches the action on a second screen.

An E for effort, but I can't imagine it'd stand up to anything more than bullets. 


....ack.  I see I'm late to the party as this is already covered in another thread  :-\

No way to completely delete a thread?
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 11, 2012, 11:02:09 AM
it wont even stand up to the first machine gun it meets.
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: mirth on December 11, 2012, 11:12:16 AM
How the hell is that "high-tech"?
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: Longdan on December 11, 2012, 11:55:53 AM
You Guys!!  It has extra lives.  And I am sure it comes with lots
of health packs scattered around its area of ops.
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 11, 2012, 12:15:50 PM
its more high tech then any other 'tank' they have.  ::)
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: mirth on December 11, 2012, 12:28:19 PM
^Fair point :)
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: LongBlade on December 11, 2012, 01:38:42 PM
<ahem>

Posted yesterday: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=3717.msg88205#msg88205

Some of you guys need to lay off the booze during the day; you've even posted in the other thread about it... ;)
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 11, 2012, 01:46:53 PM
well if we had one of them fancy mod type people here they would merge the threads.
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: LongBlade on December 11, 2012, 01:50:01 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 11, 2012, 01:46:53 PM
well if we had one of them fancy mod type people here they would merge the threads.

I'd rather heckle you in your drunken stupor.
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 11, 2012, 01:54:20 PM
then youll have to wait until 8 or 9pm.
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: mirth on December 11, 2012, 02:15:51 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on December 11, 2012, 01:38:42 PM
<ahem>

Posted yesterday: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=3717.msg88205#msg88205

Some of you guys need to lay off the booze during the day; you've even posted in the other thread about it... ;)

One, I am only on my first beer of the day and it's 2:15PM local time, so that's moderation for me.

Two, I didn't see the thread from yesterday because I was too drunk yesterday.
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: Gusington on December 11, 2012, 02:16:39 PM
^Honesty, a fine trait.
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: LongBlade on December 11, 2012, 02:16:50 PM
Quote from: mirth on December 11, 2012, 02:15:51 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on December 11, 2012, 01:38:42 PM
<ahem>

Posted yesterday: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=3717.msg88205#msg88205

Some of you guys need to lay off the booze during the day; you've even posted in the other thread about it... ;)

One, I am only on my first beer of the day and it's 2:15PM local time, so that's moderation for me.

Two, I didn't see the thread from yesterday because I was too drunk yesterday.

LOL
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: bob48 on December 11, 2012, 05:33:36 PM
From a metallurgical point of view, I'd like to know what the plates are made from. If its ordinary carbon steel, it could well shatter given a hit from even a low velocity hit, and if its low carbon steel, it may be too soft to stop even rifle rounds, even if it is an inch thick.

Welding seams would also be a weak area unless the welder was fully competent. Unless it was homogeneously welded, then its likely to fall apart!

Aim for the vid-cams guys.
Title: Re: Syrian rebels create homemade high-tech tank
Post by: LongBlade on December 11, 2012, 06:00:00 PM
Quote from: bob48 on December 11, 2012, 05:33:36 PM
From a metallurgical point of view, I'd like to know what the plates are made from. If its ordinary carbon steel, it could well shatter given a hit from even a low velocity hit, and if its low carbon steel, it may be too soft to stop even rifle rounds, even if it is an inch thick.

Welding seams would also be a weak area unless the welder was fully competent. Unless it was homogeneously welded, then its likely to fall apart!

Aim for the vid-cams guys.

If I'm not mistaken the Finns managed to figure out how to solve the Syrian "high-tech" tank problem back in '39.