GrogHeads Forum

History, Reference, Research, and GrogTalk => Military (and other) History => Topic started by: LongBlade on December 16, 2012, 01:24:40 PM

Title: Images from the Battle of the Bulge
Post by: LongBlade on December 16, 2012, 01:24:40 PM
Interesting images from the Bulge.

Unfortunately there isn't much explanation, but I did spy a Panzer painted to look like a US vehicle.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/slideshow/2012/12/16/battle-bulge-look-back-at-hitler-last-stand/
Title: Re: Images from the Battle of the Bulge
Post by: Staggerwing on December 16, 2012, 02:56:05 PM
If you're referring to this one:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fa57.foxnews.com%2Fglobal.fncstatic.com%2Fstatic%2Fmanaged%2Fimg%2FScitech%2F516%2F516%2FLIFE_Battle_Bulge_3.jpg&hash=77f0d96e03a5877af1d7a3f1c930ce58fcafbb1d)

That is probably an M-36 TD. The mantlet is very similar to a Panther but the glacis area is different and you can just make out the VVSS suspension elements behind the front drive sprockets.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm4.static.flickr.com%2F3203%2F2611712823_a1dd61e33c.jpg&hash=e925878d06088b19d5be3e4b53dbe17b244da7b7)

Thanks for posting the link though.
Title: Re: Images from the Battle of the Bulge
Post by: Staggerwing on December 16, 2012, 03:15:48 PM
You might be interested in this though:

Ersatz Panther (GE069)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flamesofwar.com%2FPortals%2F0%2Fall_images%2Fgerman%2FTanks%2FGE069.jpg&hash=68c821d8a209d8c4e6f3d05a84de936d6a905b6c)

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=3414

It's meant to mimic the M-10 though. Hence the wedge shaped mantlet.
Title: Re: Images from the Battle of the Bulge
Post by: LongBlade on December 16, 2012, 04:28:49 PM
Thanks, Stagger - I saw the sloped flanks and paused to reconsider. But figured if I were wrong some of you guys would be swift in helping correct me. Thanks. I should do more 1:48 modeling of armored vehicles. I'd probably be better at this stuff. :)
Title: Re: Images from the Battle of the Bulge
Post by: Jack Nastyface on December 16, 2012, 10:15:23 PM
Fox has culled a few images from the larger set, located here...http://life.time.com/history/battle-of-the-bulge-life-photos-from-hitlers-last-gamble-1944-1945/#1