GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Zulu1966 on December 17, 2012, 05:10:02 PM

Title: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Zulu1966 on December 17, 2012, 05:10:02 PM
http://FracturedEmpire.net

Looks interesting...
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Huw the Poo on December 17, 2012, 05:23:29 PM
Yes indeedy, those vids were quite revealing.  I like the look of this - bearing in mind it's in alpha of course, so I'd expect more polish on release.

Thanks for the heads-up Zulu1966.  Now buy in and tell us how it plays. :)
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Zulu1966 on December 18, 2012, 02:48:36 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 17, 2012, 05:23:29 PM
Yes indeedy, those vids were quite revealing.  I like the look of this - bearing in mind it's in alpha of course, so I'd expect more polish on release.

Thanks for the heads-up Zulu1966.  Now buy in and tell us how it plays. :)

OK... As you asked I will of course have to buy it otherwise it would be rude. My excuses for buying games get lamer by the day. :)
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Huw the Poo on December 18, 2012, 03:10:39 AM
Yay!  Looking forward to your impressions!

I'm quite intrigued by this one.  At first I was disappointed when I realised it plays like an actual tabletop game, but then i realised I don't really have any games like this and it could be pretty fun.  It's definitely on The List.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Tpek on December 18, 2012, 12:24:32 PM
I've been on it since the Indiegogo (crowdfunding) campaign.

I'm actually extremely excited to be playing a digitalized version of tabletop miniatures games,
this is something like I've been waiting for for years now.

If only Games Workshop had the brain to do the same thing with the Warhammer Fantasy&40K serieses :P
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2012, 02:07:25 PM
Is this a browser based game or actual good old fashion download an install?  Couldn't find much detail on it.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Tpek on December 18, 2012, 03:00:43 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2012, 02:07:25 PM
Is this a browser based game or actual good old fashion download an install?  Couldn't find much detail on it.

Download and install.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2012, 03:48:10 PM
Quote from: Tpek on December 18, 2012, 03:00:43 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2012, 02:07:25 PM
Is this a browser based game or actual good old fashion download an install?  Couldn't find much detail on it.

Download and install.

Thanks.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: steve58 on December 18, 2012, 05:41:54 PM
ugh -- in a weak moment I succumbed and bought this...unless I'm missing something this seems to be an always logged in to play game :(  Not saying its a bad game, just not something I would've gotten if I'd done my homework a bit better.  Note to self...never buy a game when I'm having a slow, boring day at work...
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Huw the Poo on December 18, 2012, 05:50:51 PM
Eurgh...thanks for taking one for the team, Steve.  Interest gone. :(
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: steve58 on December 18, 2012, 05:54:59 PM
OK, my bad  :-[...just double checked and while you do have to "login" each time to play, it does not show an internet connection.  Sorry for the false alarm.   Still not too happy about having to login each time I fire it up....

OK, looks like it does an internet/login check each time you fire it up.  You need to enter your acct login/passwd. I disconnected my cable modem and it would not run.  Reconnected the modem and it ran.  So, it looks like a phone home-type everytime type-DRM  >:(.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Huw the Poo on December 18, 2012, 06:41:41 PM
That's almost as bad.  My internet connection is rock solid but I don't like having to ask permission to play my games if I want to play on my own.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Arctic Blast on December 19, 2012, 01:12:32 AM
Isn't this a purely MP game? Hard to attack the devs for requiring a log-in if it's a 100% online MP game.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Huw the Poo on December 19, 2012, 01:40:41 AM
Ah - well I dunno.  I assumed it would have a single player component.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: steve58 on December 19, 2012, 07:46:36 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 19, 2012, 01:12:32 AM
Isn't this a purely MP game? Hard to attack the devs for requiring a log-in if it's a 100% online MP game.

Hhhhmmm, don't think so, but I didn't do a whole lot of investigating before I jumped on this one.  In looking around I didn't see anything that lead me to believe that its a MP only.  I did see this from their failed Indiegogo page.

Quote
The vision is that the game will ultimately include an online mode for players who wish to challenge their friends or top strategists in the Exodus Wars community. Individual battles will contribute to the larger conflict, bringing tabletop dynamics to life on a massive scale.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Tpek on December 19, 2012, 11:09:44 AM
It's currently in pre-alpha, with limited access, which explains the need for it.
And it may change later, who knows.
The devs are open to ideas after all.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: junk2drive on February 01, 2013, 08:13:40 AM
I posted at the dev forums about the concern to login to play. They stated that this is temporary and that you will be able to play offline.

Also they are looking at various methods of multiplayer and continued work on the AI for solo play.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: ArizonaTank on January 31, 2015, 08:29:57 AM
The game has just been released (Jan 30, 2015).  This week it is 50% off to celebrate.  For $9 it looks interesting so I'll give it a shot.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Huw the Poo on January 31, 2015, 08:46:58 AM
I'm frankly amazed it has been released already.  I tried it out after it was generously donated to me in October and it was nowhere near ready.  Loads of work required.

I guess I'll have a look at some point but I have too much else to play for the time being.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: tgb on January 31, 2015, 01:03:50 PM
Reading about it I thought "that sounds interesting".  Then I went to the Steam page and realized I had purchased it months ago, but never really spent any time with it.  So now it's installed and I'll be checking it out over the next couple of days.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 31, 2015, 02:59:18 PM
I find it hard to believe that this is truly out of "early access".  Just seemed like it had such a long way to go.
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: Tpek on January 31, 2015, 03:37:35 PM
Especially considering they removed the Multiplayer options so they could re-implement them better later. :P
Title: Re: Exodus Wars : Fractured Empire
Post by: FarAway Sooner on January 31, 2015, 04:18:42 PM
I'm finding that the "out of Early Access" label is about as reliable as being "almost a virgin"...