GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Huw the Poo on December 21, 2012, 04:50:16 PM

Title: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Huw the Poo on December 21, 2012, 04:50:16 PM
I've wanted this game for ages and it's not going to be any cheaper than it is for the next 20 hours but I have very limited funds.  I'm not averse to playing online but I'm primarily a solo player.  I'm not looking for a tough-as-nails challenge, just an AI that isn't a complete idiot (and doesn't cheat).  Do I need to buy this game NOW or not?

Thanks in advance.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Arctic Blast on December 21, 2012, 04:59:12 PM
I don't know what it was, but myself and this game just didn't click at all. I found the entire experience a bit...flat. Not sure what it was that didn't work for me.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: republic on December 21, 2012, 05:44:50 PM
I'm just the opposite, I really enjoyed it.  It is a great blend of simplicity and realism.  To me, its akin to a slightly simpler Men of War series game.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: LongBlade on December 21, 2012, 05:48:05 PM
I played it for about three or four scenarios then got a bit bored. But I can be extremely choosy with my games.

I believe JH really got a kick out of it.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2012, 05:49:50 PM
I never fully got into it, but I believe I got enough out of it to certainly justify a $9 purchase....I think it was worth that just to see the slick user interface in action...
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Huw the Poo on December 21, 2012, 07:04:42 PM
I'm already sold on the concept of the game and all that, but I'd appreciate any comments about the single player mode.  As long as the AI isn't braindead I'll buy it.  Thoughts?
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2012, 07:06:34 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 21, 2012, 07:04:42 PM
I'm already sold on the concept of the game and all that, but I'd appreciate any comments about the single player mode.  As long as the AI isn't braindead I'll buy it.  Thoughts?

I am not a great RTS player, but the AI kicked my butt very often....I forget what mission I ended with, but I got to a point where I just couldn't beat the AI.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: RooksBailey on December 21, 2012, 07:09:28 PM
What about skirmish mode?  I am not much for scripted campaigns, but I like the idea of being able to create a skirmish game against the AI.  How well does it play as a single player game in that regard?
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: jomni on December 21, 2012, 07:35:38 PM
Finished the European campaign. Stuck in the Russian campaign.  There will be moments where you will get frustrated because of the crazy enemy unit spam.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Huw the Poo on December 21, 2012, 08:10:58 PM
Sod it.  I'm going to buy it.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: PanzersEast on December 21, 2012, 08:45:12 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 21, 2012, 08:10:58 PM
Sod it.  I'm going to buy it.

Same thing I did a while back.... overall the campaign is ok, but the skirmish mod is fun to kick the tires with every now and then.  I still play it from time to time and enjoy it. 


PE
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Huw the Poo on December 22, 2012, 04:36:47 AM
Sheesh...it's a 7.7GB download.  C'mon, I just wanna play!

Thanks for the comments by the way, everyone.  I'm looking forward to this now.  I'm going to conquer all of Europe with a single tank! \o/
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: DoctorQuest on June 13, 2015, 02:15:49 PM
I recently tried to get back into this game and I find it extremely frustrating. The game would almost be PERFECT if they would, at least, remove the stupid locked units crap and give you a few more editing options. As it stands I play it for a couple of hours, get pissed and uninstall it.

I've heard later games by this team have a better basic design. I'm leery of throwing any more money their way.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Nefaro on June 13, 2015, 02:52:44 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on June 13, 2015, 02:15:49 PM


I've heard later games by this team have a better basic design.


Later ones have more to them, and are considered by most to be superior.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: jomni on June 13, 2015, 06:27:15 PM
Wargame Air Land Battle and Red Dragon have better Single player experience.  Especially because there is a strategic map and persistent OOB for the AI as well.
Wargame EE is just a series of missions were the AI does unit spamming.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: DennisS on June 13, 2015, 07:20:59 PM
Quote from: jomni on June 13, 2015, 06:27:15 PM
Wargame Air Land Battle and Red Dragon have better Single player experience.  Especially because there is a strategic map and persistent OOB for the AI as well.
Wargame EE is just a series of missions were the AI does unit spamming.

Jomni is right. Air Land Battle has a very good single player experience..and if you can summon up the drachmas, Red Dragon is better still.

All games allow you to slow things down..but Red Dragon has a super duper slo mo that allows old people like me to not be overwhelmed by the RTS experience.

This is a good combination of skill, strategy, and complexity..so long as you don't expect to master the game in a couple of hours.

Take the beating you're going to get, and give it ten, FULL hours before you make a decision on whether this game has legs for you. It took me that long to figure out that the game was something I was interested in mastering.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: vyshka on June 14, 2015, 12:44:23 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 22, 2012, 04:36:47 AM
Sheesh...it's a 7.7GB download.  C'mon, I just wanna play!

Thanks for the comments by the way, everyone.  I'm looking forward to this now.  I'm going to conquer all of Europe with a single tank! \o/

What distro are you running Steam on? Also are you using vendor drivers or community?
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Huw the Poo on June 14, 2015, 03:00:11 AM
Quote from: vyshka on June 14, 2015, 12:44:23 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 22, 2012, 04:36:47 AM
Sheesh...it's a 7.7GB download.  C'mon, I just wanna play!

Thanks for the comments by the way, everyone.  I'm looking forward to this now.  I'm going to conquer all of Europe with a single tank! \o/

What distro are you running Steam on? Also are you using vendor drivers or community?

Linux Mint, although I've yet to run a distro that hasn't worked with Steam. :)  I use the Catalyst driver from ATI.  If you're asking specifically with regard to Wargame: EE, I actually haven't played it on my current PC but my last one (which was woefully underpowered) ran it just fine.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Tinkershuffle on June 14, 2015, 03:00:31 AM
Quote from: jomni on June 13, 2015, 06:27:15 PM
Wargame Air Land Battle and Red Dragon have better Single player experience.  Especially because there is a strategic map and persistent OOB for the AI as well.
Wargame EE is just a series of missions were the AI does unit spamming.

Plus ALB and RD have airplanes, dogfights look pretty cool.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: DennisS on June 14, 2015, 09:07:29 AM
Quote from: Tinkershuffle on June 14, 2015, 03:00:31 AM
Quote from: jomni on June 13, 2015, 06:27:15 PM
Wargame Air Land Battle and Red Dragon have better Single player experience.  Especially because there is a strategic map and persistent OOB for the AI as well.
Wargame EE is just a series of missions were the AI does unit spamming.

Plus ALB and RD have airplanes, dogfights look pretty cool.

There are a crazy number of youtube videos of AB and RD. One of my favorites is an A-10 strafing a column of old Soviet T-55's, that didn't have a ZSU-23 for air cover. The Warthog racked up points in a pretty significant number, and what was a uh-oh moment, with a large number of tanks crashing a flank turned into something a lot less...smoking tanks!
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: vyshka on June 14, 2015, 02:12:03 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 14, 2015, 03:00:11 AM
Quote from: vyshka on June 14, 2015, 12:44:23 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 22, 2012, 04:36:47 AM
Sheesh...it's a 7.7GB download.  C'mon, I just wanna play!

Thanks for the comments by the way, everyone.  I'm looking forward to this now.  I'm going to conquer all of Europe with a single tank! \o/

What distro are you running Steam on? Also are you using vendor drivers or community?

Linux Mint, although I've yet to run a distro that hasn't worked with Steam. :)  I use the Catalyst driver from ATI.  If you're asking specifically with regard to Wargame: EE, I actually haven't played it on my current PC but my last one (which was woefully underpowered) ran it just fine.

I haven't spent much time digging into it, but I've run into issues with library dependencies for games on Fedora. I also am usually running that has been built within the past week from linus's git repo, so I use the upstream drivers when running Fedora. I have a disk I loaded with ubuntu 14.04 lts last night though, running with the fglrx driver and things seem to run pretty well there.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Huw the Poo on June 14, 2015, 04:15:03 PM
Well, there's a reason most game devs will only support Ubuntu and Linux Mint.  Your problems running games on Fedora are almost certainly surmountable, it's just a question of finding out how.  With so many distros out there, each doing things slightly differently, situations like these are inevitable unfortunately.  I wouldn't go as far as to recommend you switch distros for an easier life, because I'm sure you enjoy all the other aspects of Fedora.  However if you game a lot on Linux you should at least consider it.  Myself, I won't touch Ubuntu with a barge pole but Linux Mint is fine (although I do miss having cutting-edge software sometimes).
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: vyshka on June 14, 2015, 05:45:15 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 14, 2015, 04:15:03 PM
Well, there's a reason most game devs will only support Ubuntu and Linux Mint.  Your problems running games on Fedora are almost certainly surmountable, it's just a question of finding out how.  With so many distros out there, each doing things slightly differently, situations like these are inevitable unfortunately.  I wouldn't go as far as to recommend you switch distros for an easier life, because I'm sure you enjoy all the other aspects of Fedora.  However if you game a lot on Linux you should at least consider it.  Myself, I won't touch Ubuntu with a barge pole but Linux Mint is fine (although I do miss having cutting-edge software sometimes).

They are definitely surmountable (mostly a matter of getting the right versions of libraries in place), it just hasn't been worth the effort. If I'm going to reboot into something else it is just as easy to boot into Windows as anything else. I'll probably play around with it some more on the ubuntu disk to see how some other games fare. I played around with Age Of Wonders III, XCOM, Football Manager 15, and Kerbal Space Program last night. I will probably see how the Paradox titles and Civ 5 look tonight. KSP is the only one that seemed to have issues for me. My day job is working on RHEL, and I have been using RH based distros for about 18 years now. I think I seriously used Ubuntu once for about a week, and had enough by then.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: undercovergeek on June 15, 2015, 05:32:38 AM
Red dragon is a tenner huw
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Huw the Poo on June 15, 2015, 07:56:07 AM
Thanks mate but I'm not interested; I didn't get on with EE so no point buying the sequels.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Tuna on June 15, 2015, 07:57:40 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 15, 2015, 07:56:07 AM
Thanks mate but I'm not interested; I didn't get on with EE so no point buying the sequels.

Red Dragon was so much better than EE.. I bought EE and never played as well.. but Red Dragon got my money's worth from.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Pete Dero on June 15, 2015, 08:09:51 AM
If someone is still interested : http://www.gog.com/game/wargame_european_escalation  for 1,89 €  and 1,99 € on Steam.  ( Full package for 12,49 € http://store.steampowered.com/sub/45320 )

If you are only getting one i guess Red Dragon is the way to go.
Title: Re: Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?
Post by: Nefaro on June 15, 2015, 09:24:01 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on June 15, 2015, 08:09:51 AM


If you are only getting one i guess Red Dragon is the way to go.


Yes!   O0