GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: mirth on January 11, 2013, 06:39:07 PM

Title: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: mirth on January 11, 2013, 06:39:07 PM
Don't mess with the white wizard

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-gandolf-20130109
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: besilarius on January 11, 2013, 06:50:13 PM
Personally, I prefer Gandolf the Gray over the White Rider.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Gusington on January 11, 2013, 07:03:11 PM
The Weather Channel is beyond ridiculous but the NOAA site is dull as dishwater. We need GrogWeather.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: LongBlade on January 11, 2013, 08:15:07 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 11, 2013, 07:03:11 PM
The Weather Channel is beyond ridiculous but the NOAA site is dull as dishwater. We need GrogWeather.

I can do GrogWeather.

QuoteTonight there will be wargaming with a chance of an artillery barrage.

Tomorrow there will be a good chance of planetary invasion.

Sunday looks gloomy with a good chance of dungeoneering.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: TheCommandTent on January 11, 2013, 08:31:31 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on January 11, 2013, 08:15:07 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 11, 2013, 07:03:11 PM
The Weather Channel is beyond ridiculous but the NOAA site is dull as dishwater. We need GrogWeather.

I can do GrogWeather.

QuoteTonight there will be wargaming with a chance of an artillery barrage.

Tomorrow there will be a good chance of planetary invasion.

Sunday looks gloomy with a good chance of dungeoneering.


Well played.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: mirth on January 11, 2013, 08:37:19 PM
Clearing expected overnight with full Eye of Sauron during the day.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: TheCommandTent on January 11, 2013, 08:51:53 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 11, 2013, 08:37:19 PM
Clearing expected overnight with full Eye of Sauron during the day.

ha!
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Toonces on January 11, 2013, 09:05:39 PM
I'm a weatherman, but I'm not very funny.  Sorry.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: LongBlade on January 11, 2013, 09:39:54 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 11, 2013, 08:37:19 PM
Clearing expected overnight with full Eye of Sauron during the day.

<chuckle>
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: LongBlade on January 11, 2013, 09:40:12 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 11, 2013, 09:05:39 PM
I'm a weatherman, but I'm not very funny.  Sorry.

We're on call any time you need us.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Staggerwing on January 11, 2013, 09:41:32 PM
Remember, it's not just the greenscreen, it's how you use it.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: LongBlade on January 11, 2013, 09:43:13 PM
Toonces needs to fly several of of us out there to assist. I hear Gus looks good in a low-cut blouse.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Longdan on January 11, 2013, 11:16:38 PM
I don't do forecasts anymore.
Unle$$ there$ money involved.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: LongBlade on January 11, 2013, 11:19:32 PM
Quote from: Longdan on January 11, 2013, 11:16:38 PM
I don't do forecasts anymore.
Unle$$ there$ money involved.

That's where we differ. I'd roll out there just to lend some comedic chaos to Toonces' day. Get four or five of us in a room, add drinks, and we'd probably capsize one of the Hawaiian islands. But we'd have fun doing it.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Longdan on January 11, 2013, 11:22:57 PM
I get payed to stay home and not make forecasts.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Staggerwing on January 11, 2013, 11:29:09 PM
Quote from: Longdan on January 11, 2013, 11:22:57 PM
I get payed to stay home and not make forecasts.

So they've gotten to you as well. Another voice silenced by global conspiracy....
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Longdan on January 11, 2013, 11:31:04 PM
This is almost free.  Different animal.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: LongBlade on January 11, 2013, 11:33:12 PM
Quote from: Longdan on January 11, 2013, 11:22:57 PM
I get payed to stay home and not make forecasts.

That's cool but I still like predicting the chances of pixelated artillery barrages.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Martok on January 12, 2013, 12:29:39 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on January 11, 2013, 08:15:07 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 11, 2013, 07:03:11 PM
The Weather Channel is beyond ridiculous but the NOAA site is dull as dishwater. We need GrogWeather.

I can do GrogWeather.

QuoteTonight there will be wargaming with a chance of an artillery barrage.

Tomorrow there will be a good chance of planetary invasion.

Sunday looks gloomy with a good chance of dungeoneering.
Well done, sir! 





Quote from: mirth on January 11, 2013, 08:37:19 PM
Clearing expected overnight with full Eye of Sauron during the day.
Ha.  Brilliant! 

Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: mirth on January 12, 2013, 12:43:35 PM
Figures someone's already beat us to this stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6u0CQbsuY
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: mirth on January 12, 2013, 12:45:09 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fscrat.hellocotton.com%2Fimg%2Fmedium%2Fwhat-the-weather-forecast-in-mordor-looks-like-2215079.png&hash=dbe9f662ce39ff13605596369f80624fc999c3b3)
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: DoctorQuest on January 13, 2013, 01:40:48 AM
Why did they spell it wrong? It's GandAlf. Some stupid copywrite thingy?
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Martok on January 13, 2013, 12:35:32 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 13, 2013, 01:40:48 AM
Why did they spell it wrong? It's GandAlf. Some stupid copywrite thingy?

I'd wondered that as well.  Then I read this (taken directly from the Weather Channel website's article (http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-gandolf-20130109) on the storm): 
Quote"Gandolf is named for a character in the William Morris fantasy novel The Well at The World's End (1896). Similar names such as Gandalf and Gandalfr can be traced to Norse sagas of the 12th century; the name is derived from the Norse words for "wand" or "staff" (also interpreted as "magic") and "elf."

Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Longdan on January 13, 2013, 12:55:32 PM
The Good Professor admitted to thoroughly looting past literature of every type,
making the archetypes HIS forever afterwards.  I love him for it.  "Gandolf" is a
result of some snooty weather channel guy trying to show us he read more
than one book in University.  That's unamerican.  He probably has a Che Guevara T-shirt.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Gusington on January 13, 2013, 02:56:29 PM
The one thing The Weather Channel has going for it are the hawties...low cut blouses indeed. I love me some Kelly Kass.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-ORCDBCbw9ac%2FTw2xuvDtUVI%2FAAAAAAAAlxs%2F0ZNjBp4EN-s%2Fs1600%2F099139458_kcass110109_122_145lo.jpg&hash=7311b87500042723360258a6a33c8d6fb30bd684)
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Longdan on January 13, 2013, 03:08:38 PM
Why does she have her hand on the Philippines and the sidebar
weather info is all Las Vegas?
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Martok on January 13, 2013, 03:09:31 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 13, 2013, 02:56:29 PM
The one thing The Weather Channel has going for it are the hawties...low cut blouses indeed. I love me some Kelly Kass.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-ORCDBCbw9ac%2FTw2xuvDtUVI%2FAAAAAAAAlxs%2F0ZNjBp4EN-s%2Fs1600%2F099139458_kcass110109_122_145lo.jpg&hash=7311b87500042723360258a6a33c8d6fb30bd684)
I'm not gonna lie:  I totally read that as Kelly's Ass at first. 

Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Gusington on January 13, 2013, 03:22:26 PM
^Perhaps you read it correctly.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Martok on January 13, 2013, 03:53:17 PM
Perhaps I did.  It's been known to happen on occasion! 

Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Longdan on January 13, 2013, 03:59:12 PM
There is that girl on Spanish Language TV.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: LongBlade on January 13, 2013, 05:43:42 PM
Quote from: Longdan on January 13, 2013, 12:55:32 PM
The Good Professor admitted to thoroughly looting past literature of every type,
making the archetypes HIS forever afterwards.  I love him for it.  "Gandolf" is a
result of some snooty weather channel guy trying to show us he read more
than one book in University.  That's unamerican.  He probably has a Che Guevara T-shirt.

You're starting to really fit in around here.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: Longdan on January 13, 2013, 05:53:04 PM
Thanks although I do not know that I am comfortable with that.
One day I will tell you why I bailed on the gun thread.
Title: Re: Winter Storm Gandolf
Post by: LongBlade on January 13, 2013, 05:54:49 PM
Quote from: Longdan on January 13, 2013, 05:53:04 PM
Thanks although I do not know that I am comfortable with that.

Heh. I figured you weren't terribly serious in that post, but I still thought it was funny to think you'd moved your politics closer to ours :)

QuoteOne day I will tell you why I bailed on the gun thread.

No worries.