GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Gusington on January 13, 2013, 08:05:50 PM

Title: Jade Empire
Post by: Gusington on January 13, 2013, 08:05:50 PM
Anyone played it? It has a reputation for being one of the weaker Bioware titles but it has caught my fancy.

Basically because I tried Ghost Master today and was underwhelmed, then tried Fallout: NV and want to wait a little longer 'til I start it (just not in the mood right now) and Dark Souls scares me.

So how is Jade Empire?
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 13, 2013, 08:08:36 PM
It's pretty bleh. 

It's basically a console style fighting game with a very rudimentary RPG overlay and an alright story.


Play RoF or Chivalry damn it!
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Gusington on January 13, 2013, 08:10:17 PM
^That's got to be some kind of record. Doesn't sound worth the 15.00.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Bison on January 13, 2013, 08:11:43 PM
I thought it was pretty decent if you are in a kung fu sort of mood.  It is the weakest Bioware RPG, but it's still entertaining. 
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 13, 2013, 08:16:00 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 13, 2013, 08:10:17 PM
^That's got to be some kind of record. Doesn't sound worth the 15.00.

Definitely not worth $15 IMO.  I think I picked it up for about $5.  That was a reasonable price for it, I think.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Gusington on January 13, 2013, 08:21:46 PM
Now I'm torn. I guess I should have become interested in it during the holiday sale. I am in an Asian mood. Probably because I had dinner like an hour ago and it wasn't particularly filling. I'm now hungry again.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Bison on January 13, 2013, 08:23:29 PM
I think SDR is just grumpy tonight.  I've seen it go on sale occassionally in the past but I'd think the next time would be during the Steam summer sale.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Longdan on January 13, 2013, 08:24:11 PM
I got it for about 5 bux in the early part of the sale.
Have not played it yet (alert the media).
My daughter loves it but she love all Bioware stuff.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Gusington on January 13, 2013, 08:28:02 PM
Hmm...
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Bison on January 13, 2013, 08:29:03 PM
I have it on disc somewhere in a box.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Gusington on January 13, 2013, 08:30:07 PM
^We're still talking about Jade Empire right? Did you finish it?
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Bison on January 13, 2013, 08:36:44 PM
Yes Jade Empire on disc in a box and yes I finished it but that was several years ago I don't remember the story at all.  The story is very much on rails from what I remember and the combat was actually pretty decent.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 13, 2013, 08:41:12 PM
It's been a while since I played it but it basically works like this.  You select from one of a half dozen or so pre-made characters.  The're classified as one of the following archtypes: fast, strong, magical, or a mix.  I think they each start off with a different fighting style as well or you may get to choose a fighting style when you start.  I can't remember exactly.  Fighting is 3rd person and ver similar to console type arcade fighters where timing and button combos are what win fights.  As you gain xp, you get to add perks/special moves to your fighting style

It's got a good/evil moral coice system very similar to the Bioware Star Wars games.  You can either choose to follow the Way of the Open Palm (hippy dippy Jedi) or the Way of the Fist (puppy raping Sith).

Graphics are very low polygon as it was out for the XBOX originally.

It's not a terrible game but it's kinda bleh.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Bison on January 13, 2013, 08:45:40 PM
I think that's SDR's way of calling me an idiot.  :P
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 13, 2013, 08:47:56 PM
Nah.  We just like different kinds of games. 
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Longdan on January 13, 2013, 09:49:08 PM
Your kindness is perceptible.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Bison on January 13, 2013, 10:02:06 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 13, 2013, 08:47:56 PM
Nah.  We just like different kinds of games.

No.  We just haven't killed anything together for awhile.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 13, 2013, 10:31:38 PM
I keep sending you invites.  Somebody's gotta watch my back when Command Tent is around.  I think he may be a collaborator.  he's got one enemy kill in Chivalry yet he's managed to kill me three times.  Makes ya wonder....

Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: TheCommandTent on January 13, 2013, 11:34:58 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 13, 2013, 10:31:38 PM
I keep sending you invites.  Somebody's gotta watch my back when Command Tent is around.  I think he may be a collaborator.  he's got one enemy kill in Chivalry yet he's managed to kill me three times.  Makes ya wonder....

I really have no defense other than my ineptitude at the game in general.  :o
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Arctic Blast on January 14, 2013, 12:37:03 AM
I liked it. It is the most over the top 'white hat good guy/black hat bad guy' choices game BioWare has ever done, which is kind of annoying. And it really is more of a straight up action game. But you get a fair amount of customization and new powers and moves as you level up, so that the way your character and my character deal with a fight is likely to be completely different based on what we can do.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: JasonPratt on January 14, 2013, 09:16:02 AM
Sounds like an amped-up version of Kareteka.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Tpek on January 14, 2013, 12:25:55 PM
I actually liked it.

It's more customization than SDR listed.
For one thing, you can choose your character and then choose his starting Kung-Fu style.
You can improve it throughout the game and learn additional styles and magics.
You can invest in improving your conversation skills allowing you to intimidate better and such.
It's got an interesting theme that is very rarely explored in good western games.
You have interesting followers with secrets to uncover and who can change their personality throughout the game thanks to your actions.
It's got an very original optional ending not usually explored in other games.

Of course it also has the bad sides of many a Bioware game:
You can usually only take a single follower with you.
That idiotic Jedi/Sith points system from KOTOR, including making the entire point of having it moot by having a single choice in the end of the game affect your score completely.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 19, 2013, 12:14:45 PM
I bought this for the Xbox way back when and didn't get very far past the first major battle. The graphics were terrible and not very appealing.

I went ahead and bought this on Steam (3.75 this week) and have to say it looks a hell of a lot better than it did.

If you enjoy Kung Fu stuff, you'll like this. Hopefully I'll think of it a bit more than "meh" but I intend to eventually hopefully see it through to the end.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: mirth on November 19, 2013, 12:37:34 PM
I liked this game a lot. I'm currently on a replay of it on my Mac. It is much better looking than it was on Xbox.

I really appreciated that this was an original story, not based in the Star Wars, or some other pre-existing, universe. I thought it compared well to KOTOR and having recently replayed that I can say a lot of the dialogue in Jade Empire is better than KOTOR (more natural, not as stilted and forced).

I did prefer the turn-based combat of KOTOR over the real time action fighting in Jade Empire.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 19, 2013, 01:22:16 PM
The voice talent leaves a little to be desired thus far. I would have preferred that they tried to sound less like they're from the Hamptons and more like from China. I think I caught an "aboot" in there too somewhere. Freakin' Canadians with their voice talents all up in my KOTOR and Jade Empire and Mass Effect games. ;)

TBH the Master is the only one thus far that sports any kind of accent. There might be a couple of other exceptions in the minor characters, but overall that's a little off-putting. No, it doesn't need to be like that ending scene from A Christmas Story with "FA ra ra ra ra" or anything, but, I don't know, I was expecting a bit more immersiveness. I had forgotten about this from the Xbox version.

Dawn Star's dialogue is pretty awesome, though. Like I said I'm still early in the game; there's plenty more ahead that's good I hope.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 01:47:58 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 13, 2013, 08:41:12 PM
It's been a while since I played it but it basically works like this.  You select from one of a half dozen or so pre-made characters.  The're classified as one of the following archtypes: fast, strong, magical, or a mix.  I think they each start off with a different fighting style as well or you may get to choose a fighting style when you start.  I can't remember exactly.  Fighting is 3rd person and ver similar to console type arcade fighters where timing and button combos are what win fights.  As you gain xp, you get to add perks/special moves to your fighting style

It's got a good/evil moral coice system very similar to the Bioware Star Wars games.  You can either choose to follow the Way of the Open Palm (hippy dippy Jedi) or the Way of the Fist (puppy raping Sith).

Graphics are very low polygon as it was out for the XBOX originally.

It's not a terrible game but it's kinda bleh.

Is it possible to be a hippy raping Jedi?...kind of a mix
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Gusington on November 19, 2013, 02:15:04 PM
Hippy raping or hippy rapping?

This game has elements of fantasy right? I've been wanting to buy it forever.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Nefaro on November 19, 2013, 02:33:39 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 19, 2013, 02:15:04 PM
Hippy raping or hippy rapping?

Granola smackin. Sandal packin, yo.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: mirth on November 19, 2013, 02:49:43 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 19, 2013, 02:15:04 PM
Hippy raping or hippy rapping?

This game has elements of fantasy right? I've been wanting to buy it forever.

Yes, it has fantasy elements - ghosts, demons, magic.

You can't go wrong at $3.75.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/7110/
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Gusington on November 19, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
Of course tonight I won't be home til late...is this a 24 hour jammie?
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: mirth on November 19, 2013, 03:41:39 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 19, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
Of course tonight I won't be home til late...is this a 24 hour jammie?

Good until 11/25.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Nefaro on November 19, 2013, 07:33:52 PM
Quote from: mirth on November 19, 2013, 03:41:39 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 19, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
Of course tonight I won't be home til late...is this a 24 hour jammie?

Good until 11/25.

Steam is intermittently running like shit tonight.  Something amazing go on sale that I didn't see?
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 19, 2013, 10:07:50 PM
^ Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag went active today...although it runs through Steam then UbiPlay, that could be a reason.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Staggerwing on November 19, 2013, 10:11:19 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 19, 2013, 10:07:50 PM
^ Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag went active today...although it runs through Steam then UbiPlay, that could be a reason.

When is this one set- WW2?
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Nefaro on November 19, 2013, 11:00:49 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 19, 2013, 10:07:50 PM
^ Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag went active today...although it runs through Steam then UbiPlay, that could be a reason.

Jesus jumped up christ on a stick!  F**king Ubi idiots need two different online clients running on a single game?  Preposterous!

:o

I hope they choke once again.
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on November 20, 2013, 07:56:46 AM
.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Gusington on November 20, 2013, 08:26:10 AM
Cool on the 11/25 date, I still have time!
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 20, 2013, 08:31:41 AM
Only Gusington can drag out a decision to buy a $3.00 game for over a year.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Gusington on November 20, 2013, 08:34:33 AM
It wasn't always three dollah. Plus my backlogue is like 25 games deep.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 20, 2013, 08:36:19 AM
Quote from: Gusington on November 20, 2013, 08:34:33 AM
It wasn't always three dollah.

Three dollah too buku?
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Gusington on November 20, 2013, 08:51:59 AM
Depends on who you ask.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 20, 2013, 09:03:59 AM
Dawn Star love you long time, three dollah!
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: mirth on November 20, 2013, 11:41:42 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 20, 2013, 09:03:59 AM
Dawn Star love you long time, three dollah!

lol. nice. though I prefer Silk Fox.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: ComradeP on November 20, 2013, 02:37:46 PM
I liked Jade Empire after getting used to the interface being a console interface. The final bossfight was a bit disappointing as it wasn't nearly as challenging as one of the earlier bossfights, but aside from that it was a good game.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: steve58 on December 01, 2015, 04:03:58 PM
...currently free at Origin.com

Note - requires Origin for download and play

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: glen55 on December 01, 2015, 06:42:51 PM
I love it.  Full disclosure: I'm a Bioware fanboi.  But isn't everybody?  They just make great games, and this one is no exception.

Yes, it's on rails - all Bioware games except DAI are on rails.

The RPG elements are not as strong as in some other Bioware games, but they're not dramatically lighter.  It's actually one of my favorite BW stories - watch for the scene with the ghost children about half-way through - if it doesn't bring a tear to your eye, you are probably not a nice person.

It's Bioware's only melee action game, and the combat is very good.  IMO, you can just count on good combat from Bioware.  It's also Bioware's only game that allows you to have sex with two women at once -  :D - unfortunately, no visuals . . . but they do make it a difficult achievement, which I think is very true to life.

Bioware hasn't made a good mini-game since pazaak in KOTOR.  The arcade flying game in Jade Empire SUCKS - don't waste time on it.

If you want to make the game harder, don't take the jade golem upgrade.  It sure helps with the hard boss battles, but the fights just aren't as much fun.  However, if you want to win that last fight in the arena, it sure will save you some time on those thousand reloads.

Finally - and I played it on the XBOX and possibly this doesn't survive in the port - there is no level cap (that I'm aware of) but the game only provides a set amount of experience - WITH ONE EXCEPTION.  Unfortunately, it has been too many years for me to describe it well, but there is an area where you go up a hill and there is some kind of temple on top.  From a little googling, I think it is the "sickened forest" area.  Anyway, there are a couple of intermediate areas on the hill path where you fight something like 3 spirits each and THOSE AREAS RESET if you leave and come back.  So, depending on what kind of glutton for punishment you are, you can run up and down those hills for hours: boring as hell, but you can make enough XP to get several extra levels that you simply cannot get any other way.  I don't know whether this was a mistake in the game or they left this opportunity in intentionally.  Anyway, it's the only way you can get both the jade golem style AND all the good perks for one of the regular fighting style - otherwise, it's either or.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Gusington on December 01, 2015, 06:48:13 PM
Still haven't played this and I actually paid money for it. Will get to it one day.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: FarAway Sooner on December 02, 2015, 12:43:59 AM
Quote from: glen55 on December 01, 2015, 06:42:51 PM
Finally - and I played it on the XBOX and possibly this doesn't survive in the port - there is no level cap (that I'm aware of) but the game only provides a set amount of experience - WITH ONE EXCEPTION.  Unfortunately, it has been too many years for me to describe it well, but there is an area where you go up a hill and there is some kind of temple on top.  From a little googling, I think it is the "sickened forest" area.  Anyway, there are a couple of intermediate areas on the hill path where you fight something like 3 spirits each and THOSE AREAS RESET if you leave and come back.  So, depending on what kind of glutton for punishment you are, you can run up and down those hills for hours: boring as hell, but you can make enough XP to get several extra levels that you simply cannot get any other way.  I don't know whether this was a mistake in the game or they left this opportunity in intentionally.  Anyway, it's the only way you can get both the jade golem style AND all the good perks for one of the regular fighting style - otherwise, it's either or.

Dude, this vaguely resembles the South Park episode about World of Warcraft.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Rayfer on December 02, 2015, 09:59:04 AM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on December 02, 2015, 12:43:59 AM
Quote from: glen55 on December 01, 2015, 06:42:51 PM
Finally - and I played it on the XBOX and possibly this doesn't survive in the port - there is no level cap (that I'm aware of) but the game only provides a set amount of experience - WITH ONE EXCEPTION.  Unfortunately, it has been too many years for me to describe it well, but there is an area where you go up a hill and there is some kind of temple on top.  From a little googling, I think it is the "sickened forest" area.  Anyway, there are a couple of intermediate areas on the hill path where you fight something like 3 spirits each and THOSE AREAS RESET if you leave and come back.  So, depending on what kind of glutton for punishment you are, you can run up and down those hills for hours: boring as hell, but you can make enough XP to get several extra levels that you simply cannot get any other way.  I don't know whether this was a mistake in the game or they left this opportunity in intentionally.  Anyway, it's the only way you can get both the jade golem style AND all the good perks for one of the regular fighting style - otherwise, it's either or.

Dude, this vaguely resembles the South Park episode about World of Warcraft.

Or the new Rob Lowe TV comedy....The Grinder.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 02, 2015, 11:52:16 AM
I've tried to get into Jade Empire a couple of times, but just can't.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Gusington on December 02, 2015, 06:23:24 PM
How come? Talk to me.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 02, 2015, 09:17:15 PM
It doesn't feel nearly as epic as the KOTOR titles. That's not to say it's a bad game. I'd like to play and finish it eventually...it's just that it loses my interest after a while as it's very limited and two-dimensional quest-wise. I'm applying 10+ years of game logic to this perception now, which isn't fair at all to Jade Empire. One could make the same argument for the KOTOR titles, especially KOTOR 2 (which didn't feel nearly as epic as KOTOR 1 in my opinion).
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Gusington on December 02, 2015, 09:39:04 PM
^That's your olde man talking.
Title: Re: Jade Empire
Post by: Arctic Blast on December 02, 2015, 11:25:50 PM
If you're expecting a wide open environment full of side quests to explore, you're not going to find it. If you're expecting to be able to develop your martial arts into the sort of badass you want to play as, you might like it. It is very action-oriented, as you'd expect from a game with that setting.