Well I really #$%^ed up this evening in Diablo 3. At some point I accidently sold my damn quiver after I got really stoked about a pair of green Natalyia's boots that I found. Great find. Unfortunately I remember accidently swapping weapons at the merchant but didn't realize it was a two handed weapon. So as I was selling to get back to loot hunting, I sold the damned quiver. BAH! I didn't even realize it until I did a DPS check and was like WTF? why did it go down when I added like 100+ pts of DEX to my overall stat? It should have when up a good 7K. And then I saw my quiver slot was empty. /sigh/ It made me very sad indeed. And I'd sold enough crap that it wasn't on the buy back screen any longer. So now I'm once again on the hunt for a quiver or another sweet 1-hand crossbow. I'm using a decent rare 1-hand crossbow but I took a severe hit to my hit points which is not good for a Demon Hunter. They are squishy enough without me helping to gimp her.
I did that with one of my Danetta 1-hand x-bows. Was doing a dps check between a 2h+Quiver vs 2 1h x-bows and equipped one bow but the offhand didn't equip. Luckily I was able to buy it back.
If you haven't already got something, I've got my old quiver in my bank that you can have. Its got:
+89 Dex
+80 Int
+64 bit
+12% Attack Speed
+0.72 Hatred Regen
+8 max Discipline
+21 XP from monster Kills
In WitP I was playing the grand campaign as the allies. I had a butt-ton of merchant shipping in the DEI that I hadn't sortied out by about early Feb because I was thinking of making a play on holding off the Japanese.
Well, I got a sniff of a CV group in the area so I decided to evacuate the whole port. I clicked end turn and don't you know the freaking Kido Butai was right around the corner? I think they sunk something like 50 AKs and assorted ships of mine in that one turn.
Oops. ::)
I once got really stoned and got lost in a level of Medal of Honour:Allied Assault.
In Imperialism II, I've discovered the hard way to pay attention and make certain which goods your peasants are producing. Paper and bronze doesn't do shit for helping me build roads and ports...
If you've ever played multiplayer with me in an FPS or Chivalry type game then you already know..... ::)
Quote from: Pinetree on January 15, 2013, 12:54:50 AM
I once got really stoned and got lost in a level of Medal of Honour:Allied Assault.
I played WWII Online off and on for years. Finally I learned to stop doing that.
I have purchased many versions of Harpoon. I have finally learned to stop doing that.
Back in the old Operation Flashpoint, back in about 2002, I used to fumble and use my binoculars instead of say a handgrenade or
even just not hitting any buttons.
How about Skyrim, the first time I walked through Whiterun. I thought it'd be funny to walk over and wack a lady's chicken. When I did, not only did she attack me but the whole damned town came after me. Even the little children. Those people take their chickens VERY seriously.
playing MP Bad Company 2 on PS3 with a friend - he was looking out of a window of a shack getting ready to throw a grenade, it was always a race to get the most kills so i ran upto him to look out of the same window to see what he was looking at, nudged him slightly to the right as he threw the grenade, it bounced off the wall and blew him up - he takes his gaming very seriously and me literally in tears, gasping for air laughing did not help
And you expect Huw and I to play DoW 2 with you?.......seriously?
There are so many times when I have had dumb moments in gaming that I can't remember them all. Just last night however, I did a dumb thing during Far Cry 3.
I was on a mission that was set in an underground submarine pen leftover from WWII. I was hiding behind some rail cars whilst shooting at some snipers positioned directly in front and above me by about 100 yards. I was so focused on them that I failed to notice the two guys shooting at me from my left flank. Everytime I got hit, I kept thinking, how are those damn snipers hitting me when I'm behind this tall object? When I died the death cam revealed where I had gone wrong.
Quote from: Sir Slash on January 15, 2013, 02:58:16 PM
How about Skyrim, the first time I walked through Whiterun. I thought it'd be funny to walk over and wack a lady's chicken. When I did, not only did she attack me but the whole damned town came after me. Even the little children. Those people take their chickens VERY seriously.
HAHA! I did that too. I really wanted to try out my sword on something and who was going to miss a chicken?
Well, playing X-Com last night, I had one of my higher-level soldiers in a particularly vulnerable spot, and was blazing away at the alien who was getting ready to cap her, and it came down to my last chance, with a well-placed sniper.
I'm still new to the game's interface, and rather than clicking the fire button to shoot the alien, I clicked on the gun icon to select my Sniper Rifle... and promptly reloaded my Sniper rifle (which still had 4 shots left). The next turn, said alien offed my officer at the front of the group.
**Sigh**
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on January 15, 2013, 03:50:02 PM
Well, playing X-Com last night, I had one of my higher-level soldiers in a particularly vulnerable spot, and was blazing away at the alien who was getting ready to cap her, and it came down to my last chance, with a well-placed sniper.
I'm still new to the game's interface, and rather than clicking the fire button to shoot the alien, I clicked on the gun icon to select my Sniper Rifle... and promptly reloaded my Sniper rifle (which still had 4 shots left). The next turn, said alien offed my officer at the front of the group.
**Sigh**
I've done that. The UI can drive you nuts sometimes.
In Call of Duty Modern Warfare I had a lamentable habit of trying to throw a grenade while crouched behind cover, having the grenade bounce back off said cover, and BOOM...curse and wait for respawn. I am pretty certain that Longblade witnessed this a time or two over on the old WG COD server. :-[
One of my dumb moments was standing by the car in L4D2 with 2 bots whilst LB fought a lone battle to find fuel cans - samuri swords flashing and sowing destruction - his progress marked by fountains of blood and severed limbs - and me guarding a car that no-one was gonna steal.
It was an awesome spectacle, but I distinctly remember thinking 'maybe I should give him some help'.......
Quote from: bob48 on January 15, 2013, 04:49:14 PM
One of my dumb moments was standing by the car in L4D2 with 2 bots whilst LB fought a lone battle to find fuel cans - samuri swords flashing and sowing destruction - his progress marked by fountains of blood and severed limbs - and me guarding a car that no-one was gonna steal.
It was an awesome spectacle, but I distinctly remember thinking 'maybe I should give him some help'.......
The AI in L4D loves to find moments like that and send a horde. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I suspect any time two people are separated by more than about ten feet, the AI starts building aggro.
Once, playing TPB, I got locked in a land war in Asia and went in against a Sicilian with death on the line. Mistakes both.
Quote from: sandman2575 on January 16, 2013, 05:01:58 PM
Once, playing TPB, I got locked in a land war in Asia and went in against a Sicilian with death on the line. Mistakes both.
Ha! I see what you did there. ;D
Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 16, 2013, 05:23:13 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on January 16, 2013, 05:01:58 PM
Once, playing TPB, I got locked in a land war in Asia and went in against a Sicilian with death on the line. Mistakes both.
Ha! I see what you did there. ;D
...an attempt at wit whose inspiration can be filed under "Work, A long day at"... 8)
This is slightly convoluted, but here goes...
My fave ever FPS is Darkest Hour (in case I haven't mentioned that). I have 900 hours logged, and the controls are hard-wired into my muscle-memory. The game encourages team play, with resupplying heavy weapons an important component. Soon after I started playing Red Orchestra 2, I was stumbling around some map, getting shot to hell, and generally wondering what on earth I was doing. During this period of frustration I chanced upon a teammate who was low on ammo for his MG34. "Aha", thinks I, "something I know how to do..." So I faced him and pressed G, for "give", which is, of course, for "grenade" in RO2...Luckily he was a comrade from DH, and knew that I wasn't the type to TK, but, even so it felt like a pretty dumb moment in gaming.
I had a nade "incident" in Red Orchestra too.
I had just re-spawned with a Kar98, and got the bright idea to go suicidal in order to get the SturmGewehr44, which I knew was available.
So, I dropped a grenade at my feet, and a split second before it went off, 4 guys re-spawned right in front of me. Yeah I took 3 of them with me.
It took some messaging back and forth, before I was in good standing again.
Quote from: Atilla60 on January 17, 2013, 08:28:22 AM
I had a nade "incident" in Red Orchestra too.
I had just re-spawned with a Kar98, and got the bright idea to go suicidal in order to get the SturmGewehr44, which I knew was available.
So, I dropped a grenade at my feet, and a split second before it went off, 4 guys re-spawned right in front of me. Yeah I took 3 of them with me.
It took some messaging back and forth, before I was in good standing again.
Hah! I'll bet it took some time.
^
Oh yes :)
First few times I played COD, well.. I use my G key in ventrilo/team speak to talk...
You can guess what happened the first few times I talked!
Quote from: Sir Slash on January 15, 2013, 02:58:16 PM
How about Skyrim, the first time I walked through Whiterun. I thought it'd be funny to walk over and wack a lady's chicken. When I did, not only did she attack me but the whole damned town came after me. Even the little children. Those people take their chickens VERY seriously.
Thanks to the fact that there's a lot of stuff about Skyrim available all over the place, I have so far avoided doing anything like killing chickens. I did sort of panic during the first dragon battle and I thought it would be a good idea to jump off the top of the Western Tower and land on top of the dragon, but this turned out to be a fatally flawed plan.
Quote from: Tuna on January 17, 2013, 04:24:29 PM
First few times I played COD, well.. I use my G key in ventrilo/team speak to talk...
You can guess what happened the first few times I talked!
LOL, that hilarious... +1
HPS Squad Battles dumb moment: just before taking a USMC stack (2 squads, 1 leader) into a close assault of a Japanese bunker with MG, I wanted to use the "drop / pick-up weapons" command to get some more BAR's and a satchel charge. So I picked up the weapons, switched to "move" mode, and then assaulted. Disaster and disbelief ensued. Apparently I had somehow "dropped all" weapons during my prep phase, which thus left my Marines to fight bare-handed in the assault.
Might have worked if John Wayne had been in command...
Grand Theft Auto 4 after a long epic chase across the city.
I was down to 3 RPG rounds and no other weapons. The last round fires off after my character dies.
I loved using nukes in the Civ games. It was fun outpacing everyone and while they're still fiddling with flintlocks for me to drop an A-bomb on their heads. So when I first got Civ V and built myself up to that point, I got a slew of Enola Gays and went to town on a large neighbor. Next turn, he did the exact same thing to me, lighting up my cities like a Fourth of July celebration. Oops? I was both in awe and shock that the game dared to step to me like that; a silly warmongering choice but one that has really endeared Civ V to me.
I can't even begin to recount how many grenade accidents I've had over the years.
Skyrim's lands are to chickens what India is to cows - don't go ruffling feathers. Although I tried hitting a child with my weapon instead of a chicken - I figured this was a medieval society and they had too many mouths to feed. Besides, the little brats weren't doing anything but running around aimlessly anyway. (I saved the game first; I figured that would bring righteous hell down on me.)
A long time ago I played Axis & Allies often with a group of friends. One time as Germany, Japan and I had conquered Russia, leaving the UK and the US...which would be easy now that the bear was dead. I shifted forces west and just as I was embroiled in England and Brazil, the Japanese player decided to go Allies and attack me. I remember thinking, 'You...you...you...you can't DO that!'
For my first ever wargame (short of domestic trench combat), I chose the Soviets in Axis and Allies because they had enough units to put on every hex on the soviet western border, and then proceeded to do just that. My brilliant plan was that wherever the germans hit, I'd have a hex or two on either side of the sharp edge of the spear to thwart the attack.
Yes, that's right. When Barbarossa kicked off, I had a solid wall of units. One hex thick.
I have played many hours of CM:BB as penance.
Welcome Skeptical to the Grogs. I got one for you. One of the mods I use for Skyrim is the "Fishing in Skyrim mod. It allows you to craft or buy a fishing net that you can use to fish when near large bodies of water. To use the net, you go to the "Powers" menu and highlight, "Throw Fishing Net" and when you go back to the main screen, hit the Z key, a fishing net shoots out into the water. It automatically returns in a few seconds with randomly generated things like... fish, but also sometimes gems and sometimes junk like old boots or even a dead body. Well Lydia and I were fishing near Solitude when that too familiar shadow passes over, a dragon. So I get set to hit him with all my best weapons and spells and my most damaging shout. But, I forget to re-set the shout in the power menu and so when he lands his big ass right in front of me, and I hit "Z", instead of blasting him with fire, I harmlessly plink him on his big nose with a fishing net. I think it stunned him because for several seconds he didn't do anything, just looked at me like, seriously dude? A fishing net? I was laughing so hard I had to pause the game when I realized what I had done. To make matters worse, after the fight I forgot the net automatically returns to your inventory and spent 20 min. looking for it on the ground. This may qualify me as officially, "Too Dumb To Play Skyrim" or at least "Too dumb To Fish and Walk At The Same Time". :o ??? ::)
^ Not too dumb at all. I always have this issue with Skyrim, forgetting to change my shouts. So instead of doing a Whirlwind Sprint, I'll do a Force shout and knock over civilians, which the local guards don't take kindly to.
Quote from: Sir Slash on December 04, 2013, 02:54:09 PM
Welcome Skeptical to the Grogs. I got one for you. One of the mods I use for Skyrim is the "Fishing in Skyrim mod. It allows you to craft or buy a fishing net that you can use to fish when near large bodies of water. To use the net, you go to the "Powers" menu and highlight, "Throw Fishing Net" and when you go back to the main screen, hit the Z key, a fishing net shoots out into the water. It automatically returns in a few seconds with randomly generated things like... fish, but also sometimes gems and sometimes junk like old boots or even a dead body. Well Lydia and I were fishing near Solitude when that too familiar shadow passes over, a dragon. So I get set to hit him with all my best weapons and spells and my most damaging shout. But, I forget to re-set the shout in the power menu and so when he lands his big ass right in front of me, and I hit "Z", instead of blasting him with fire, I harmlessly plink him on his big nose with a fishing net. I think it stunned him because for several seconds he didn't do anything, just looked at me like, seriously dude? A fishing net? I was laughing so hard I had to pause the game when I realized what I had done. To make matters worse, after the fight I forgot the net automatically returns to your inventory and spent 20 min. looking for it on the ground. This may qualify me as officially, "Too Dumb To Play Skyrim" or at least "Too dumb To Fish and Walk At The Same Time". :o ??? ::)
yeah, but you butt-kick for goodness, believe in space hamsters, and have likely met kobolds named Larry, Darryl, and Darryl. You got nothing to be ashamed of.
That's MINATURE GIANT Space Hamsters. Evil is everywhere. Careful not to step in any.
Quote from: Sir Slash on December 04, 2013, 03:47:13 PM
That's MINATURE GIANT Space Hamsters. Evil is everywhere. Careful not to step in any.
I am embarrassed at my omission, and have a
similie smilie smiley to prove it. :-[
Fortunately, I have walked the streets of France and Mexico City, and am thusly quite careful to not step in any.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgflip.com%2F56wnf.jpg&hash=9b1638b7300110c30c4e03f7a516781c8fb133d4)
^LOL - I said pretty much the same thing to an old wargames buddy not so very long ago.....