GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: Longdan on January 18, 2013, 04:38:26 PM

Title: Happy Norway
Post by: Longdan on January 18, 2013, 04:38:26 PM
Here is the latest of those lists "they" love to produce:

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/world-s-happiest-countries-233204795.html
Title: Re: Happy Norway
Post by: Martok on January 19, 2013, 08:53:25 AM
I note that 4 of the top 10 (including the top 3) are all Scandinavian countries.  Guess my family shouldn't have left... 

Title: Re: Happy Norway
Post by: Centurion40 on January 19, 2013, 10:00:47 AM
Perhaps the high percentage of blond females enhances happiness.
Title: Re: Happy Norway
Post by: Longdan on January 19, 2013, 10:43:22 AM
They have certain natural advantages but basically sensible government
and an educated responsible population.
Title: Re: Happy Norway
Post by: Airborne Rifles on January 19, 2013, 11:07:12 AM
I recently read the book In Cod We Trust about a university professor who goes to Norway to live for a year to write a book about the experience.  Hilarious and well written to show you the benefits and quirks of Norwegian society.  I visited there a couple years ago and loved it, though I got the feeling some of their restrictions might get a little obnoxious after a while.  The government has a monopoly on alcohol distribution...
Title: Re: Happy Norway
Post by: LongBlade on January 19, 2013, 11:19:26 AM
Somewhere I read that the Skandanavian countries have a higher suicide rate. IIRC it was attributed to the funky light they get - like nearly half a year in darkness type stuff (yes I know most of these countries are below the Arctic Circle, but you get the gist).
Title: Re: Happy Norway
Post by: Longdan on January 19, 2013, 11:26:34 AM
I think it is one of those legends.

33     Romania          12.0    2009
34     United States[18] (more info)          12.0    2009
35     Norway          11.9    2009
36     Denmark          11.9    2006
37     Ireland          11.8    2009
38     Canada (more info)          11.3    2004
39     Iceland[19]          11.3    2009
40     Chile          11.2    2007
41     Switzerland          11.1    2007
Title: Re: Happy Norway
Post by: Longdan on February 05, 2013, 01:19:30 AM
More ranks:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-falling-behind-poverty-inequality-says-report-085522557--finance.html
Title: Re: Happy Norway
Post by: Greybriar on February 05, 2013, 03:17:42 AM
The U.S. didn't even make it to the top ten. How sad.