http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/01/saturn-v-moon-rocket-engine-firing-again-after-40-years-sort-of/
"The F-1 is a gas-generator cycle rocket engine, burning a bit of fuel outside the combustion chamber to power the pumps of the engine."
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.arstechnica.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F01%2F718934main_cam2-004-010_full.jpg&hash=706f20e8f20cd2e040dd7f4195550e45b00fcbad)
It will be interesting to see if they can refine the engine to improved use out of it.
Cool picture btw.
what worries me is that part where they laser scanned parts for replacement.
not so much that the tech isnt valid but that NASA lost the original blueprints!
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 28, 2013, 06:06:57 PM
what worries me is that part where they laser scanned parts for replacement.
not so much that the tech isnt valid but that NASA lost the original blueprints!
I wouldn't worry. They are probably sitting, safe and sound, on some Chinese server somewhere.
Most likely it is the blueprints are still on site at Nasa Goddard in Greenbelt, Md.
However, with the latest round of personnel cuts, no one can find anything.
It has been my experience that people getting laid off aren't all to careful about where things are left when they leave.
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 28, 2013, 07:10:56 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 28, 2013, 06:06:57 PM
what worries me is that part where they laser scanned parts for replacement.
not so much that the tech isnt valid but that NASA lost the original blueprints!
I wouldn't worry. They are probably sitting, safe and sound, on some Chinese server somewhere.
I don't know if I should laugh or cry at that statement, given that it's probably true :P