GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: Zulu1966 on February 04, 2013, 05:04:55 PM

Title: Asteroid
Post by: Zulu1966 on February 04, 2013, 05:04:55 PM
Mmmm ... I dont know ... if this NASA simulation is to scale - I would say that is pretty freaking close as these things go ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21325992
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Longdan on February 04, 2013, 05:11:16 PM
Are there zombies driving it?
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Zulu1966 on February 04, 2013, 05:14:33 PM
130,000 tons going at a steady 17,000 km per hour. A 2.5 megaton hit. Evidently passed well inside the orbit of our geo stationary satelites.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Longdan on February 04, 2013, 06:27:13 PM
You know that I feel a little good that they can track one that near and that small and accurately enough to predict what is
a very near miss.  What I would like to know and didn't see there is how long we've known about this rock?
The one that caused the Tunguska event was a good deal smaller.  They say it was "house sized" vs this "aircraft carrier size".
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Shelldrake on February 05, 2013, 09:59:11 AM
Even a mid ocean impact would likely have been catastrophic due to the resulting tsunami.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Centurion40 on February 05, 2013, 10:03:19 AM
How far from the shore are ya Shellie; and how high-up is your home?

If one hits whilst at work, I'm shagged (corner of Cornwallis & Gottingen); but if I made it home, I'd be ok... I think.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Shelldrake on February 05, 2013, 10:34:48 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on February 05, 2013, 10:03:19 AM
How far from the shore are ya Shellie; and how high-up is your home?

If one hits whilst at work, I'm shagged (corner of Cornwallis & Gottingen); but if I made it home, I'd be ok... I think.

Home is a short walk uphill from the Bedford Basin so probably screwed at home and at work.

EDIT: Found this online tool to calculate results of an asteroid impact.

http://simulator.down2earth.eu/# (http://simulator.down2earth.eu/#)
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Longdan on February 05, 2013, 12:02:51 PM
^^ What I would expect from a gunbunny.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Shelldrake on February 05, 2013, 01:23:17 PM
Quote from: Longdan on February 05, 2013, 12:02:51 PM
^^ What I would expect from a gunbunny.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi981.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fae295%2FShelldrake_photos%2FGunBunny.jpg&hash=e0363c76764ff35b3a12fa01d0677458439a54d7)

;D
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: eyebiter on February 05, 2013, 01:50:16 PM
Wonder if NASA will try to capture this asteroid when it returns in 2036?
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: LongBlade on February 05, 2013, 03:24:29 PM
Quote from: eyebiter on February 05, 2013, 01:50:16 PM
Wonder if NASA will try to capture this asteroid when it returns in 2036?

And tame it? Like a pet rock?
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Centurion40 on February 05, 2013, 03:41:10 PM
I hope that they break it up and sell the pieces in their gift shop.

http://www.thespaceshop.com/
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: bob48 on February 05, 2013, 04:17:56 PM
I can sell you a lump of Hadrians Wall if you want. I just have to nip out in the dead of night with a hammer and knock a chunk off for ya  :)
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: TheCommandTent on February 05, 2013, 07:44:09 PM
Quote from: bob48 on February 05, 2013, 04:17:56 PM
I can sell you a lump of Hadrians Wall if you want. I just have to nip out in the dead of night with a hammer and knock a chunk off for ya  :)

I know it is probably wrong but that would be pretty cool.....  8)
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 05, 2013, 09:06:46 PM
Quote from: eyebiter on February 05, 2013, 01:50:16 PM
Wonder if NASA will try to capture this asteroid when it returns in 2036?

catch it, nudge it and put it into a orbit where it hits Iran.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 06, 2013, 12:56:57 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 05, 2013, 09:06:46 PM
Quote from: eyebiter on February 05, 2013, 01:50:16 PM
Wonder if NASA will try to capture this asteroid when it returns in 2036?

catch it, nudge it and put it into a orbit where it hits Iran.

Who gives an F about Iran? If you could catch it you could use it to lift a hell of a lot of shit into space. Free megalift. You are now an instant space power with factories, smelters, metals and other materials in space.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Longdan on February 06, 2013, 01:35:57 AM
That would be bad for more than just Iran.  It would sorta wreck everything around there and everywhere else.
No wonder they are so pissed.  And crazy.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 05:51:23 AM
a 2.5 megaton blast isnt that big.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Longdan on February 06, 2013, 10:14:01 AM
It is big.  Perhaps you would like to have one in Boca?  Besides it would be murder on a fairly large scale.
We run into that moral equivalency thing.  They are always talking shit but like some people so far it is just talk.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Centurion40 on February 06, 2013, 10:31:11 AM
Quote from: bob48 on February 05, 2013, 04:17:56 PM
I can sell you a lump of Hadrians Wall if you want. I just have to nip out in the dead of night with a hammer and knock a chunk off for ya  :)

Sweet!!  I just might take you up on that, but only if I ever get the chance to come over and collect it in person.  I don't trust the post!
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 01:09:05 PM
Quote from: Longdan on February 06, 2013, 10:14:01 AM
It is big.  Perhaps you would like to have one in Boca?  Besides it would be murder on a fairly large scale.
We run into that moral equivalency thing.  They are always talking shit but like some people so far it is just talk.

nah  2.5 aint that huge.  a typical MIRV package on Moscow or NY would have been a pattern of 6 - 12 500kt warheads so I can actually call it typical.  as for boca... as long as Im not hear go for it.  I hate this town.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: bob48 on February 06, 2013, 01:50:32 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on February 06, 2013, 10:31:11 AM
Quote from: bob48 on February 05, 2013, 04:17:56 PM
I can sell you a lump of Hadrians Wall if you want. I just have to nip out in the dead of night with a hammer and knock a chunk off for ya  :)

Sweet!!  I just might take you up on that, but only if I ever get the chance to come over and collect it in person.  I don't trust the post!

Yeah, the post can be unreliable. The postman might get stoned.....

On the other hand, I have a nice Tower Bridge or Big Ben I can let you have cheap, special rates for grog-brothers  8)
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 06, 2013, 03:03:58 PM
Quote from: bob48 on February 06, 2013, 01:50:32 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on February 06, 2013, 10:31:11 AM
Quote from: bob48 on February 05, 2013, 04:17:56 PM
I can sell you a lump of Hadrians Wall if you want. I just have to nip out in the dead of night with a hammer and knock a chunk off for ya  :)

Sweet!!  I just might take you up on that, but only if I ever get the chance to come over and collect it in person.  I don't trust the post!

Yeah, the post can be unreliable. The postman might get stoned.....

On the other hand, I have a nice Tower Bridge or Big Ben I can let you have cheap, special rates for grog-brothers  8)

I'm sure you can sell some Blackpool rock at outrageous prices. It's rare to find a piece in foreign rock collections. Advertise at least $1000 per piece!
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: bob48 on February 06, 2013, 03:13:59 PM
Is it genuine? Does it have 'Blackpool' written all the way through it?

Anyway, its not my favourite place...Its where we had our honeymoon!
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: LongBlade on February 06, 2013, 03:48:36 PM
Quote from: bob48 on February 06, 2013, 03:13:59 PM
Is it genuine? Does it have 'Blackpool' written all the way through it?

Anyway, its not my favourite place...Its where we had our honeymoon!

Ah. In other words, it was when you first cast your eyes on...cast iron. Gloooing!
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: bob48 on February 06, 2013, 04:11:15 PM
Aye. It was love at first swipe.

Wonder why the top of my head is the same shape as Herman Munster's?
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: besilarius on February 06, 2013, 06:40:45 PM
Do the bolts help?
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: bob48 on February 07, 2013, 02:08:23 PM
Only if you tighten the nuts ;)
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Staggerwing on February 08, 2013, 04:27:33 PM
I fear that might cause you to raise your voice.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: bob48 on February 08, 2013, 04:56:41 PM
I know I've got a screw loose, that's for sure.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: steve58 on February 12, 2013, 09:30:19 PM
Apparently the asteroid is a result of  global warming. (http://now.msn.com/deb-feyerick-cnn-anchor-seems-to-link-global-warming-and-asteroids)
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Longdan on February 12, 2013, 11:32:26 PM
It just goes to show.  In America everybody gets a vote, everybody gets to be a scientist.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: MikeGER on February 15, 2013, 04:01:33 AM
watch the asteroid-2012-da14 pass by online through a remote controlled telescope in Israel ( weather? )

http://www.bareket-astro.com/live-astronomical-web-cast/asteroid-2012-da14-flyby-webcast.html

are there webcasts from other locations ... please post here, so we all can pick the one with no clouds in the sky   


- edit -
update : in breaking news are reports of meteor shower (maybe small objects  in the wake of the asteroid ?)  hit Russia, 200+x injured  :o
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Zulu1966 on February 15, 2013, 04:24:15 AM
Yeah ... but how much confidence do you have they have got it right this thing will miss us today ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116
"According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo blew the meteorite to pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers, local newspaper Znak reports quoting a source in the military."
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: MikeGER on February 15, 2013, 04:48:13 AM
i have 100% confidence that the 65m chunck will pass at 27000km above the surface!
.... but i am not sure if there is clowd of small (1m) and much more tiny stuff around it ... i dont know the resolution of the radars i think its down to 30 cm small objects  or even down to an apple       
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Zulu1966 on February 15, 2013, 05:00:58 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on February 15, 2013, 04:48:13 AM
i have 100% confidence that the 65m chunck will pass at 27000km above the surface!
.... but i am not sure if there is clowd of small (1m) and much more tiny stuff around it ... i dont know the resolution of the radars i think its down to 30 cm small objects  or even down to an apple     

Evidently its unrelated - the russian one came in at the wrong direction to have anything to do with DA14. Its only the name I find disturbing - it happens to be my postcode.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: MikeGER on February 15, 2013, 06:08:20 AM
today's Russian meteor footage collection  :o
http://say26.com/meteorite-in-russia-all-videos-in-one-place
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: bayonetbrant on February 15, 2013, 06:45:55 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on February 15, 2013, 04:48:13 AMi dont know the resolution of the radars i think its down to 30 cm small objects  or even down to an apple       

that's not an apple, that's a stealth fighter ;)
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: eyebiter on February 15, 2013, 01:44:42 PM
Large asteroid explodes over Russia,

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower/index.html

"A meteor streaked through the skies above Russia's Urals region Friday morning, before exploding with a flash and boom that shattered glass in buildings and left about 1,000 people hurt, state media said."
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: mirth on February 15, 2013, 10:34:34 PM
Turns out there's a ton of video footage of the meteor because driving in Russia is so dangerous that almost everyone has a camera mounted to their car. How dangerous is driving in Russia you ask?





Related article on the meteor and the hazards of driving in Russia:
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/video-captures-flaming-object-believed-to-be-meteorite/
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: MetalDog on February 15, 2013, 11:33:48 PM
That's some bad music in the second video.  Pretty f'd up stuff in both of those vids.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 15, 2013, 11:43:39 PM
meh... its nothing Smuck didnt have in Africa.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: MetalDog on February 15, 2013, 11:52:42 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 15, 2013, 11:43:39 PM
meh... its nothing Smuck didnt have in Africa.

The second one DEFINITELY does...snow!
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Longdan on February 16, 2013, 12:07:59 PM
Kilimanjaro
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: MetalDog on February 16, 2013, 02:02:05 PM
Quote from: Longdan on February 16, 2013, 12:07:59 PM
Kilimanjaro

While that is true of the continent, and the original post, it is not true of where Smuck was stationed specifically, hence, my assertion.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: MikeGER on February 21, 2013, 05:39:10 AM
...for those Astronomy Grogs who like to simulate asteroid impacts with free parameter-set to enter (there are meaningful proposals to pick from a list too) and see the resulting effects calculated and displayed in a nice internet user interface 

here's the link:  http://www.purdue.edu/impactearth/
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Shelldrake on February 26, 2013, 10:57:28 AM
Apparently the meteor (now believed to have been between 7000 and 10000 tonnes) was one of the Apollo asteroids.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21579422 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21579422)
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: MikeGER on February 26, 2013, 11:23:19 AM
very interesting, THX  :)

btw: there are two probably remarkable comet events scheduled for this year:

middle of march comet  Pornstars Panstarrs  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2011_L4
expected magnitude 1m at 3/10

and the comet Ison  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2012_S1  in Nov. could be bright enuf to bee visible at day like the full Moon but close to the sun ....if Ison suvives his perihelion 
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on March 01, 2013, 09:50:00 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.economist.com%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fimagecache%2Ffull-width%2Fimages%2F2013%2F02%2Fblogs%2Fbabbage%2F20130302_stp510.jpg&hash=85f9b152fead7b5c1970fda5d1b540b3914111eb)

"Which would be cool, in all sorts of ways. For a start, it should be simply spectacular. Given the unusual speed of the comet (which is moving so fast that it may well be coming from outside the solar system—cool upon cool) and the fact that it is travelling the wrong way round the sun, from a planet's point of view, Mr Plait estimates that its impact should yield a blast equivalent to that of a billion megatons of TNT. It would be an event on the same sort of scale as the impact that drove the dinosaurs extinct 65m years ago. If it really is that big, and if the comet were to hit the side of Mars facing Earth (it seems that it might do, but it might also hit the far side), then the blast could well be visible to the naked eye, even in daylight."

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2013/02/comet-headed-mars

Better there than here I say.

Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Barthheart on March 01, 2013, 10:07:09 PM
^That is extremely cool! Thanks fer posting it.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2013, 10:08:05 PM
its cool until the splash debris hit earth.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Barthheart on March 01, 2013, 10:09:10 PM
Even that will be cool as the debris will likely be fairly small.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2013, 10:24:54 PM
define what you think small is.
that rock in Russia was only the size of a bus.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Staggerwing on March 01, 2013, 10:38:39 PM
Damn. Reminds me of the Shoemaker-Levy-9 Comet-Train of Doom piling into Jupiter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Shoemaker%E2%80%93Levy_9
QuoteTracing back the comet's orbital motion revealed that it had been orbiting Jupiter for some time. It seems most likely that it was captured from a solar orbit in the early 1970s, although the capture may have occurred as early as the mid-1960s.[6] Several other observers found images of the comet in precovery images obtained before March 24, including Kin Endate from a photograph exposed on March 15, S. Otomo on March 17, and a team led by Eleanor Helin from images on March 19.[7] No precovery images dating back to earlier than March 1993 have been found. Before the comet was captured by Jupiter, it was probably a short-period comet with an aphelion just inside Jupiter's orbit, and a perihelion interior to the asteroid belt.[8]

Just a reminder that it doesn't always take millions of years for that all-things-astronomical-keep-whizzing-along-in-their-predestined-patterns to take a Crazy-Ivan in the blink of a cosmic eye.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: MikeGER on March 02, 2013, 06:34:55 AM
Mr. Bigglesworth THX for the head-up   8)

i surly will keep track of that :)

(the latest updates on "close-approach data" will be found here: 
at the bottom at
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=C%2F2013%20A1%20;orb=0;cov=0;log=0;cad=1#cad  )
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Barthheart on March 02, 2013, 07:12:17 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2013, 10:24:54 PM
define what you think small is.
that rock in Russia was only the size of a bus.

Yeah that's about the size I mean.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Longdan on March 02, 2013, 04:51:16 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2013, 10:24:54 PM
define what you think small is.
that rock in Russia was only the size of a bus.
Should be okay as long as it hits Iran?
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Boggit on March 08, 2013, 08:58:41 PM
Quote from: bob48 on February 07, 2013, 02:08:23 PM
Only if you tighten the nuts ;)
Hopefully that's not also your wife's preferred way of coaxing you round to her way of thinking? ;) ;D
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: bob48 on March 09, 2013, 07:36:43 AM
As long as she uses spring washers and a good squirt of WD40..........
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Windigo on March 13, 2013, 01:09:03 PM
if the comet hits Mars, then the point of finding water on Mars will be moot ... seeing as comets are considered dirty snowballs
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on March 13, 2013, 02:57:04 PM
Not really, the heat would flash vaporise anything that didn't melt on entry. Any water from it would be vapor blowing around the atmosphere.

There is a large snow cap on the pole BTW.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Longdan on March 13, 2013, 03:41:40 PM
Mostly CO2 I thought.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: Windigo on March 13, 2013, 03:42:40 PM
Quote from: Longdan on March 13, 2013, 03:41:40 PM
Mostly CO2 I thought.

don't make me google it man......  you won't like me when I am googling
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 13, 2013, 04:54:15 PM
if its anything like agw we wont believe you anyway.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: mirth on March 13, 2013, 05:16:05 PM
Martian global warming, undoubtedly caused by that damned illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator.
Title: Re: Asteroid
Post by: LongBlade on March 13, 2013, 07:21:11 PM
Quote from: mirth on March 13, 2013, 05:16:05 PM
Martian global warming, undoubtedly caused by that damned illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator.

No, it was MGW.