GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: airboy on February 06, 2013, 08:00:21 AM

Title: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: airboy on February 06, 2013, 08:00:21 AM
A big story in Alabama was the nut who shot a bus driver, kidnapped a 5 year old, and held him hostage in an underground bunker for days.

The FBI managed a one shot kill and freed the boy under very difficult circumstances.  Very happy ending (no expense of a trial) to a very tragic story.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: TheCommandTent on February 06, 2013, 08:38:32 AM
I've been hearing about this on the news.  Glad that they were able to free the boy without him getting hurt.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Centurion40 on February 06, 2013, 10:42:17 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on February 06, 2013, 08:38:32 AM
I've been hearing about this on the news.  Glad that they were able to free the boy without him getting hurt.

+1
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: MIGMaster on February 06, 2013, 10:44:57 AM
They also effectively solved the criminal rehabilitation problem at the same time.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: LongBlade on February 06, 2013, 01:13:13 PM
A happy ending as far as I'm concerned. Good for them.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Greybriar on February 06, 2013, 05:04:59 PM
Quote from: MIGMaster on February 06, 2013, 10:44:57 AM
They also effectively solved the criminal rehabilitation problem at the same time.

Quote from: LongBlade on February 06, 2013, 01:13:13 PM
A happy ending as far as I'm concerned. Good for them.

+1 to both.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Staggerwing on February 06, 2013, 06:34:56 PM
There was some real hard-core anti-terrorism process behind that go-down. All the while that negotiators were talking to the nut-ball the FBI was repeatedly storming a replica of the bunker they had built just around the corner. When the shoe finally dropped those who went in were almost choreographed.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 06:39:25 PM
there was no almost about it.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 06:40:08 PM
hell... they probably have Longdans methlab archived for a raid.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Longdan on February 06, 2013, 06:44:40 PM
I rent it to them.  They owe me for some past favours.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Staggerwing on February 06, 2013, 06:48:11 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 06:39:25 PM
there was no almost about it.

BTW, I heard a rumor that the actual personnel who went in to the bunker were not even in the FBI. They may have been seconded from 'another United States entity'. Any guesses as to where they hang their hats?
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 06, 2013, 06:56:12 PM
Probably Delta or whatever its called now.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Longdan on February 06, 2013, 06:57:24 PM
Couldn't have been ATF they would have burnt the town down and killed everybody.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: LongBlade on February 06, 2013, 08:31:44 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 06, 2013, 06:48:11 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 06:39:25 PM
there was no almost about it.

BTW, I heard a rumor that the actual personnel who went in to the bunker were not even in the FBI. They may have been seconded from 'another United States entity'. Any guesses as to where they hang their hats?

Yeah. Rhymes with veal. Which I recommend. I'll be here all week.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: mirth on February 06, 2013, 08:42:41 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 06, 2013, 06:48:11 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 06:39:25 PM
there was no almost about it.

BTW, I heard a rumor that the actual personnel who went in to the bunker were not even in the FBI. They may have been seconded from 'another United States entity'. Any guesses as to where they hang their hats?

I wonder why it would have been anyone other than HRT? They're as good as anyone at hostage rescue and they exist to deal with these things domestically.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Steelgrave on February 06, 2013, 08:48:25 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on February 06, 2013, 08:31:44 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 06, 2013, 06:48:11 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 06:39:25 PM
there was no almost about it.

BTW, I heard a rumor that the actual personnel who went in to the bunker were not even in the FBI. They may have been seconded from 'another United States entity'. Any guesses as to where they hang their hats?

Yeah. Rhymes with veal. Which I recommend. I'll be here all week.

Isn't there some piddling little law prohibiting things that rhyme with veal being used in a domestic situation? Seems like I recall that from the Constitution. In these days of Homeland Security and drones being used for God knows what, very little surprises me anymore, no matter the justification.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 08:53:27 PM
I think parts of that were repealed in the last year or two.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Steelgrave on February 06, 2013, 08:57:08 PM
Not sure how I missed that, but if so, that's pretty f'ed up. Brother, I'm no liberal, but I want the government to keep their hands off of our Constitution. Leave it the hell alone! Hell, most decent sized police departments nowdays have more gear than any country in South America. Using our military in any domestic capacity is a very, very bad idea.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 09:00:57 PM
IIRC it was around the time that Air Force UAVs were being used for domestic surveillance.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Steelgrave on February 06, 2013, 09:03:33 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 09:00:57 PM
IIRC it was around the time that Air Force UAVs were being used for domestic surveillance.
Yeah, that rings a bell. Not a pleasant sounding bell either. More like a tinny, irritating bell. Which seems to describe me tonight. I should drink a beer and "ungrouch" a little.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: mirth on February 06, 2013, 09:04:47 PM
Posse Comitatus hasn't been repealed but they have been monkeying around with it over the past several years and there are a number of exceptions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act)
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Steelgrave on February 06, 2013, 09:10:17 PM
Your wiki-fu is strong.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: LongBlade on February 06, 2013, 09:47:06 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 06, 2013, 08:42:41 PMI wonder why it would have been anyone other than HRT? They're as good as anyone at hostage rescue and they exist to deal with these things domestically.

Has to be. No reason to be anything else.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Staggerwing on February 06, 2013, 09:50:19 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 06, 2013, 08:42:41 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 06, 2013, 06:48:11 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 06:39:25 PM
there was no almost about it.

BTW, I heard a rumor that the actual personnel who went in to the bunker were not even in the FBI. They may have been seconded from 'another United States entity'. Any guesses as to where they hang their hats?

I wonder why it would have been anyone other than HRT? They're as good as anyone at hostage rescue and they exist to deal with these things domestically.

The scuttle-butt is that HRT is heavy with ringers who bring their green game for a while and then cart back a little bit of the blue game when it's time to rapel down into an office chair at the nation building desk..
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: mirth on February 06, 2013, 09:57:05 PM
^Makes sense.

Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Steelgrave on February 06, 2013, 11:01:22 PM
Boys gotta have a hobby. Not everyone can be a wargaming god like we band of brothers.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 06, 2013, 11:44:19 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 06, 2013, 09:04:47 PM
Posse Comitatus hasn't been repealed but they have been monkeying around with it over the past several years and there are a number of exceptions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act)

I thought that was your Roman name.
Title: Re: FBI kills hostage taker
Post by: Centurion40 on February 07, 2013, 10:16:17 AM
Quote from: mirth on February 06, 2013, 08:42:41 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 06, 2013, 06:48:11 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 06:39:25 PM
there was no almost about it.

BTW, I heard a rumor that the actual personnel who went in to the bunker were not even in the FBI. They may have been seconded from 'another United States entity'. Any guesses as to where they hang their hats?

I wonder why it would have been anyone other than HRT? They're as good as anyone at hostage rescue and they exist to deal with these things domestically.

I was thinking the same thing.  No reason to go outside of the family, so to speak.  Unless those "other" fellas have a crack team of midgets little people who can get into small places.