GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: mirth on March 07, 2013, 05:20:09 AM

Title: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: mirth on March 07, 2013, 05:20:09 AM
Sadly I never knew who he was until now. Diplomacy is one of the most elegant games I've ever played.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/us/allan-calhamer-inventor-diplomacy-board-game-dies-at-81.html?hpw&_r=0
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: Centurion40 on March 07, 2013, 07:55:38 AM
Wow.  Thanks for the post mirth.  I hope that we went out with a boat-load of cash.

Oh the hours that I've spent playing Dippy.
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: Barthheart on March 07, 2013, 07:59:37 AM
Diplomacy is my all time favourite multiplayer game. We played that almost every weekend through high school.
Hope did make lots because lots of different companies have owned the rights to produce the game.....
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: besilarius on March 07, 2013, 08:18:39 AM
For quite some time, he also put out a little newsletter with a lot of tips on Diplomacy and comments on other gamingsubjects.
Was really quite thoughtful, wonder if it might be available somewhere on the web?
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: TheCommandTent on March 07, 2013, 09:51:55 AM
Sad news.  I've never had a chance to play Diplomacy.  A buddy of mine has it but we just can't seem to find any other willing players.
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: LongBlade on March 07, 2013, 11:17:27 AM
I bought a copy but have never played it. Was always impressed that Kissenger reportedly cited it as his favorite game.

RIP and thanks for your contribution to wargaming, Mr. Calhamer.
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: Barthheart on March 07, 2013, 11:50:20 AM
We should really get a GrogHeads game going. It is a very interesting and entertaining game.
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: Gusington on March 07, 2013, 01:33:38 PM
Saw this earlier...RIP
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: bob48 on March 07, 2013, 01:52:47 PM
I still have a very old battered copy, must be 40 years old if its a day. Not played it for a very long time so it would be good to dust it off. I think there is a Vassal mod for it.
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: mirth on March 07, 2013, 02:03:31 PM
Quote from: bob48 on March 07, 2013, 01:52:47 PM
I still have a very old battered copy, must be 40 years old if its a day. Not played it for a very long time so it would be good to dust it off. I think there is a Vassal mod for it.

IMHO it really needs to be played face-to-face. I did a PBEM game once and it just wasn't the same. I prefer to look someone in the eye as I double-cross them.
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: LongBlade on March 07, 2013, 05:07:42 PM
I'm probably too honest to play but I owe it to the game to try it once.
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: mirth on March 07, 2013, 06:05:50 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on March 07, 2013, 05:07:42 PM
I'm probably too honest to play but I owe it to the game to try it once.

Don't worry you'll quickly overcome that virtue once you start playing.
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: LongBlade on March 07, 2013, 06:11:40 PM
Quote from: mirth on March 07, 2013, 06:05:50 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on March 07, 2013, 05:07:42 PM
I'm probably too honest to play but I owe it to the game to try it once.

Don't worry you'll quickly overcome that virtue once you start playing.

That's probably why I'm not eager to play...
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: mirth on March 07, 2013, 06:48:07 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on March 07, 2013, 06:11:40 PM
Quote from: mirth on March 07, 2013, 06:05:50 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on March 07, 2013, 05:07:42 PM
I'm probably too honest to play but I owe it to the game to try it once.

Don't worry you'll quickly overcome that virtue once you start playing.

That's probably why I'm not eager to play...

It's fun but I don't recommend too much drinking when playing. Tempers can flare.
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: besilarius on March 07, 2013, 07:58:06 PM
We had a house rule about Number Two pencils, and not sharpening them. 
One fellow took the "back-stabbing" a bit literally.
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: mirth on March 07, 2013, 08:02:19 PM
Quote from: besilarius on March 07, 2013, 07:58:06 PM
We had a house rule about Number Two pencils, and not sharpening them. 
One fellow took the "back-stabbing" a bit literally.

Good rule.
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: LongBlade on March 07, 2013, 10:16:50 PM
Quote from: mirth on March 07, 2013, 08:02:19 PM
Quote from: besilarius on March 07, 2013, 07:58:06 PM
We had a house rule about Number Two pencils, and not sharpening them. 
One fellow took the "back-stabbing" a bit literally.

Good rule.

Back to my original position: I'm not eager to play...
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: mirth on March 08, 2013, 06:37:36 AM
I'm exaggerating the competitive aspects of the game. You do need to cooperate and honor your deals or you'll find yourself out of it quickly. Alliances shift as the game progresses, mostly out of necessity. Your ally in one turn may suddenly be too strong to leave unchallenged and you find yourself working with someone else to hold him in check. And it's quite possible to play the game without screwing anyone over, at least not behind their backs. In the end, someone does have to win.

Sometimes the most fun is making a deal with someone and then, as the turn unfolds, wondering if they'll honor their commitment to you or leave you hanging out to dry.
Title: Re: RIP Allan Calhamer - Inventor of Diplomacy
Post by: LongBlade on March 08, 2013, 09:43:34 AM
Quote from: mirth on March 08, 2013, 06:37:36 AM
I'm exaggerating the competitive aspects of the game. You do need to cooperate and honor your deals or you'll find yourself out of it quickly. Alliances shift as the game progresses, mostly out of necessity. Your ally in one turn may suddenly be too strong to leave unchallenged and you find yourself working with someone else to hold him in check. And it's quite possible to play the game without screwing anyone over, at least not behind their backs. In the end, someone does have to win.

Sometimes the most fun is making a deal with someone and then, as the turn unfolds, wondering if they'll honor their commitment to you or leave you hanging out to dry.

Better :)