GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Zulu1966 on March 19, 2013, 06:11:49 AM

Title: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Zulu1966 on March 19, 2013, 06:11:49 AM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/battle-worlds-kronos-turn-based-strategy-revisited

Looks interesting
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: junk2drive on March 19, 2013, 09:29:32 AM
A few years ago I played some with Advanced Strategic Command. This one looks nicer but ASC is free. Guess we will see some day how it plays.
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: MIGMaster on March 19, 2013, 09:33:12 AM
Very interesting ...
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Rayfer on March 19, 2013, 09:35:19 AM
Well done trailer....looks good.
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: steve58 on March 19, 2013, 09:59:17 AM
Thanks, I've flagged this one to keep an eye on it....
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Tpek on March 19, 2013, 11:57:32 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I will keep my eye on it (and probably back as well).
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Huw the Poo on March 19, 2013, 06:58:33 PM
Oooh, that looks glorious!  A worthy step-up from Battle Isle, which entranced me as a kid.  Good find, Zulu!
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: bob48 on March 20, 2013, 04:49:31 PM
Incubation (be careful how you say that, geek) was one of my all-time favourites. And me and Mrs.B used to hot-seat the original Battle Isles (on the Amiga I think).
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Huw the Poo on March 20, 2013, 06:55:41 PM
Bob, I did the same with my brother.  It was Amiga for us too.  Those were the days!
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: JasonPratt on March 20, 2013, 09:42:32 PM
Some insane person has already pledged $5000...

(not me)

(not that I don't love Battle Isle, but damn)
Title: Battle Worlds: Kronos
Post by: steve58 on April 26, 2013, 07:48:29 AM
Well, looks like this one got well funded (195%) and still ~40 hours to go.  I may still jump in on this one for $20....
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: bbmike on November 05, 2013, 07:36:33 AM
This game was just released. GOG has it for $23.99. Anyone have anything to say about it?
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Staggerwing on November 05, 2013, 07:47:18 AM
^

QuoteMultiplayer notice: In order to access the multiplayer you must first enter your unique cd-key. This key is located on your game shelf.

Hmmm...

Doesn't this chip away at the 'NO DRM' credo that GOG touts? Have any other games on their list needed 'just a little DRM' to be played to full potential?
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Yskonyn on November 05, 2013, 01:33:22 PM
Oh no, another game I am destined to buy.... Please let the impressions be negative, I beg you! :D
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Arctic Blast on November 05, 2013, 09:35:41 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on November 05, 2013, 07:47:18 AM
^

QuoteMultiplayer notice: In order to access the multiplayer you must first enter your unique cd-key. This key is located on your game shelf.

Hmmm...

Doesn't this chip away at the 'NO DRM' credo that GOG touts? Have any other games on their list needed 'just a little DRM' to be played to full potential?

Not really. The cd-key is only required for MP to allow server log-in. If you don't play MP, you won't ever need the key. Besides, they already carry a number of games with the same 'MP only' key requirement (the Unreal Tournament series, for example). There really is no alternative if they're going to carry anything with MP capability, since the servers need something to recognize specific game owners.
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Yskonyn on November 07, 2013, 02:49:53 PM
So...? How is it??  :o ;)
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: bbmike on November 07, 2013, 03:55:22 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 07, 2013, 02:49:53 PM
So...? How is it??  :o ;)
Yeah, somebody tell us! Obviously Yskonyn and I are able to withstand the temptation to buy this!  ;D

[edit] Just read that there are no random maps for this game. That makes it a no buy for me.
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: JasonPratt on November 08, 2013, 01:52:20 PM
Like PG (in most iterations) or Battle Isle games ever had random maps.  ::)
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on November 10, 2013, 09:49:19 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 07, 2013, 02:49:53 PM
So...? How is it??  :o ;)

Really nothing to call home about. The gameplay is simple, crude almost. There is no distinction between faction units, as both sides have the same equipment. No terrain impact on the game, other than preventing vehicle movement (no bonus for using forest terrain versus open ground.)

The campaign has gotten me so frustrated that I went and learned how to use the world/mission editor... Yes it comes with an editor.

I feel like this is a child's game, and am already embarrassed that I've put so much time into it.

Overall, I feel let down, and I was expecting something different.
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Huw the Poo on November 10, 2013, 09:54:16 AM
Wow.  What a wasted opportunity. :(
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on November 10, 2013, 09:57:15 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 10, 2013, 09:54:16 AM
Wow.  What a wasted opportunity. :(

Yes that's about it.  :-\
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: steve58 on December 11, 2013, 05:07:49 PM
...demo is now available on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/237470/
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Darkspire on December 11, 2013, 06:43:50 PM
Warzone 2100 is still going. It has a decent multiplayer and a strong community.

http://wz2100.net/ (http://wz2100.net/)

Darkspire
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Yskonyn on December 11, 2013, 06:54:05 PM
Wow, Warzone 2100!! Talk about a game I poured hours upon hours into!
Thanks for the link, DS. I never knew it was still around!
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Darkspire on December 11, 2013, 07:23:15 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on December 11, 2013, 06:54:05 PM
Wow, Warzone 2100!! Talk about a game I poured hours upon hours into!
Thanks for the link, DS. I never knew it was still around!

Same game and code, it was put into open source about 10 years ago by Pumpkin, been built on ever since, I have always kept tabs on it and have have it installed most of the time. W2100 and Carnage Heart EZ were the only two games that made me keep the PS1.

Just a note, make sure you download the intro videos as well (same cut scenes from the PS1) they work very well and IIRC they have been modified in some form, still look the same but work better on newer machines.

Darkspire
Title: Re: New Battle Isle Game
Post by: Yskonyn on December 12, 2013, 07:38:25 AM
I absolutely loved the creation of units in this game. And its the turtler's dream to play! :)