GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: republic on March 24, 2013, 05:18:43 PM

Title: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: republic on March 24, 2013, 05:18:43 PM
Does anyone play Aces High?  I played it years ago and keep thinking of coming back.
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: Tuna on March 24, 2013, 08:54:17 PM
I played Fighter Ace like 15 years ago.. was that before or after Aces High? Think it started on the old Microsoft Zone.
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: ArizonaTank on March 25, 2013, 09:19:18 AM
Quote from: republic on March 24, 2013, 05:18:43 PM
Does anyone play Aces High?  I played it years ago and keep thinking of coming back.

Don't know about Aces High, but WWII Online is still around and definately does air to air and air to ground right.
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: republic on November 27, 2013, 08:37:08 AM
I picked up a 2 month code from Gamestop for $7 so I guess I'll give Aces High another chance during my holiday vacation.  :)
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: Gusington on November 27, 2013, 08:55:07 AM
What era is it? WWII?
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: republic on November 27, 2013, 09:23:06 AM
World War I through World War II with different servers for different eras.
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on November 27, 2013, 09:25:17 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aces_High_2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aces_High_2)

I played AH from 2000-2006. It was a lot of fun, but I finally got burned out after 6 years.

The pilots that fly there are of generally high skills, so it's a tough challenge unless you have uber skills.

I actually installed it again this summer, but haven't got around to actually flying again yet.
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: Gusington on November 27, 2013, 10:15:38 AM
Starts in WWI eh? My skillz are below uber, however.
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on November 27, 2013, 10:41:46 AM
Quote from: Gusington on November 27, 2013, 10:15:38 AM
Starts in WWI eh? My skillz are below uber, however.

It doesn't "start" in WWI, Gus. There is a separate WWI arena. There are actually multiple arenas, but most people fight in the "main arena".

You don't need uber skills to have fun. There are plenty of things to do in the game. You can fly fighters, fighter-bombers, light bombers, dive bomber, torpedo bomber, level bombers.

You can man guns on ships and PT boats. You can pilot PT boats. You can drive tanks, mobile flak guns and probably more vehicles since I left.

It's certainly worth trying it out. If you like to fly and fight, it's great fun.
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: Gusington on November 27, 2013, 11:23:22 AM
How popular is the WWI arena?
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on November 27, 2013, 12:25:00 PM
I have no idea, really, since it was implemented after I had already stopped playing.

But the plane set is very limited in their WWI arena. It seems to me that they had planned to crank out a bunch of different WWI planes, but then changed their minds.
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: republic on November 27, 2013, 02:19:03 PM
Bad news...the coupon given to me by Gamestop didn't work.  I've sent emails to Gamestop and Aces High support....sigh.  Why is nothing ever easy for me?  I swear I'm Basil Fawlty...
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on November 27, 2013, 02:39:37 PM
Quote from: republic on November 27, 2013, 02:19:03 PM
I swear I'm Basil Fawlty...

"Don't mention the war!"
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: magnus on November 27, 2013, 03:27:50 PM
" Just a kiss! Why couldn't you just give him a kiss"?
Title: Re: Aces High Online Flight Sim
Post by: republic on November 27, 2013, 06:57:51 PM
I went with the Japanese/Norwegian imitation veal.  I got tired of waiting on Gamestop support so I called them.  They refunded my money, and later I got my reply from email support saying they couldn't do a refund.  lol 

So my lesson from today is always call phone support...its harder to say no to a customer when your talking to them rather than sending an email.

I also heard back from Hitech Creations, apparently those 2 month codes are only for European customers.  Hitech was going to work with me but I was so mad at Gamestop I decided to take the refund and just pay Hitech directly if I decide to renew.