GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: jomni on April 12, 2013, 08:20:23 AM

Title: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: jomni on April 12, 2013, 08:20:23 AM
<deleted>


Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: Bison on April 12, 2013, 08:22:32 AM
*waves*
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: Capn Darwin on April 12, 2013, 08:26:41 AM
A question?
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: solops on September 05, 2017, 09:53:33 AM
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm just got a big and final update. I am surprised this title does not get more traffic in these forums. Does anyone play? I have had the game for a couple of years but have never jumped in due to time considerations and lack of chatter to push me into it.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: Barthheart on September 05, 2017, 10:00:25 AM
OJsDad and myself spent last winter going through all the 2 player scenarios. Great fun.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: Capn Darwin on September 05, 2017, 10:20:03 AM
The vast majority of traffic is on the Matrix forum and over on the Steam forums. May be more traffic next year when Southern Storm comes out.  :bd:
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 05, 2017, 10:20:20 AM
We had a 90+ page thread that was derailed by Hermann Hum and his three friends.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: mirth on September 05, 2017, 10:23:00 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 05, 2017, 10:20:20 AM
Hermann Hum and his three friends.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2Fpics%2Fvomit.gif&hash=f8c0cec79f834c3558ced52ccf681c80fdf7c2e4)

Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 05, 2017, 10:28:11 AM
Quote from: mirth on September 05, 2017, 10:23:00 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 05, 2017, 10:20:20 AM
Hermann Hum and his three friends.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2Fpics%2Fvomit.gif&hash=f8c0cec79f834c3558ced52ccf681c80fdf7c2e4)

In all fairness, if I recall correctly, most of the 90 pages were from Hermann posting about inconsequential or imagined bugs.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: RyanE on September 05, 2017, 10:34:10 AM
I think you need to be more specific.  Because it seems every thread HH is involved can be described that way.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: mirth on September 05, 2017, 10:42:31 AM
Stop invoking his name or he'll appear!  :o
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 05, 2017, 10:48:32 AM
Quote from: mirth on September 05, 2017, 10:42:31 AM
Stop invoking his name or he'll appear!  :o

Nah. He's perma-banned.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: mikeck on September 05, 2017, 11:47:06 AM
I thought he only derailed the Command Modern Naval thread with his screaming about why it wasn't as good as harpoon
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: OJsDad on September 05, 2017, 11:55:33 AM
Quote from: solops on September 05, 2017, 09:53:33 AM
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm just got a big and final update. I am surprised this title does not get more traffic in these forums. Does anyone play? I have had the game for a couple of years but have never jumped in due to time considerations and lack of chatter to push me into it.

There are a number of small scenarios that don't take that long to play, either solo or pbem.  All of the battles have a time limit.  There also comes a point that if one side or the other takes enough casualties, then there is the option to end the battle.  BH can correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the battles we fought went a little over half the time limit.  None ever went the full time. 
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: Father Ted on September 05, 2017, 01:13:45 PM
Quote from: solops on September 05, 2017, 09:53:33 AM
Does anyone play? I have had the game for a couple of years but have never jumped in due to time considerations and lack of chatter to push me into it.

Steam says I've 55 hours invested, so I obviously like it.  It's WEGO, which I think is a good thing.  There's a fair amount of autonomy displayed by your subordinates - which can be frustrating - but, again, is a good thing.  For me, however, the real hook is the way in which C and C is modelled.  If you don't pay attention, you'll find that you can't give orders when you want to.  Actually even if you do concentrate, the enemy can still intervene via ECM.  Again, this sounds frustrating, but what it does is force you to have a robust initial plan and then focus on only a few units each move.  Thus, although it's obviously quite a complex game, I don't tend to feel swamped by the number of decisions I have to make each turn - meaning it's not daunting in terms of time-commitment.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: nelmsm on September 05, 2017, 08:21:41 PM
Love the game. It always has a place in my solitaire rotation. Been trying to get comfortable to play PBEM
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns
Post by: Boggit on September 07, 2017, 08:46:57 PM
It takes some getting used to, but when you've breached the learning curves it becomes much easier and is a fun game.