GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Oche on April 15, 2013, 09:43:26 AM

Title: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Oche on April 15, 2013, 09:43:26 AM
Along my years of PC gaming, I've had recurring soundtracks popping in my mind of pc games (not to mention console games  :P) some of those i play frequently and others i haven't played in a while or in years.

Some of those game soundtracks of are from: (not in chronological order  ;D): Soldiers at War; Lords of the Realm II; Darklands; Civilization I & II; Budokan; Leisure suit Larry I; Medieval Total War; Steel Panthers I & II; Jagged Alliance; Duke Nukem 3d; Dark Forces; Star Wars Rebellion; Vietcong; Destroyer Command; Silent Hunter II; Knights of the old Republic; Pirates Gold; Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas; War in the Pacific...

There are probably some others which i can't remember now...

Which game soundtracks have stuck in your head?


Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: republic on April 15, 2013, 09:53:45 AM
Mass Effect, specifically Mass Effect 3.  Music can't make a bad game good, but it can make a good game great.

AGEOD games usually have good music as well.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 15, 2013, 09:56:30 AM
A lot of the better C64 soundtracks do, like Zoids, Spellbound and Master of Magic.  More recently, the excellent soundtracks from Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos and Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (particularly the song Lifesong).  Also the music that greets me whenever I log into the MMORPG I'm playing usually hangs around in my head a lot.

Oh, and the night-time castle raid scene in the original Defenders of the Crown!  After all these years, I still find myself "listening" to it quite often!
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Sir Slash on April 15, 2013, 09:59:06 AM
Definately Skyrim and lately AOW Shadow Magic I can't get out of my head.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: eyebiter on April 15, 2013, 09:59:39 AM
Panzer General
Hearts of Iron
Over the Reich
Fantasy General
Master of Magic
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Oche on April 15, 2013, 10:04:18 AM
Oops forgot Panzer General  ;)
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2013, 10:19:55 AM
Homeworld
Mass Effect
Total War Medieval I
Hotline Miami 
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: mirth on April 15, 2013, 10:22:46 AM
Have to go with Mass Effect as well.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: bbmike on April 15, 2013, 10:27:52 AM
The only game I ever played with music on is the original Colonization. I especially loved the midi military tunes!  8)
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Oche on April 15, 2013, 10:56:42 AM
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2013, 10:27:52 AM
The only game I ever played with music on is the original Colonization. I especially loved the midi military tunes!  8)

Absolutely, the colonial tunes are great. Geez i forgot Colonization too  :-[
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Longdan on April 15, 2013, 11:05:46 AM
Homeworld that string arpeggio.  The first music when I finally go to Rivendell in LOTR online the first time.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2013, 11:44:50 AM
I mentioned it in my list above, but I again wanted to highlight the excellence of the music in the game Hotline Miami.  Its one of the only games that I've actually looked up on youtube, just to listen to the soundtrack while I'm surfing the web.  Simply outstanding...
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: W8taminute on April 15, 2013, 12:22:33 PM
Civilization III: Conquests
Mass Effect
Koei's PTO
Koei's RtK X
and more recently...Dominions 3
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 15, 2013, 12:43:06 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on April 15, 2013, 12:22:33 PM
and more recently...Dominions 3

Ha!  How could I forget that?  Yeah, the music - particularly the battle music - is in my head a lot these days too.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: spelk on April 15, 2013, 12:56:51 PM
Anarchy Online
Dear Esther
Journey
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Myrmidon on April 15, 2013, 02:48:37 PM
Age of Wonders 1 soundtrack stuck with me much more than the later AoWs.

Dawn of War 1's soundtrack to me was one of the best ever.  Stuck in my head to this day, and haven't played it in years.

Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Anguille on April 15, 2013, 03:01:46 PM
Some music that stayed in my mind:

- Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
- Celtic Kings: Rage of War
- Knights of Honor
- Crusader Kings
- Armada 2526
- Glory of the Roman Empire
- American Conquest: Divided Nations
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Sir Slash on April 15, 2013, 03:04:10 PM
How could I have forgot Planescape Torment's haunting lyrics? :-\
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: JasonPratt on April 15, 2013, 03:05:11 PM
Right this moment my car playlist includes Michael Giaccano's music from the original Medal of Honor and its two expansions (mixed with tracks from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow since the orchestrations are quite similar).

I actually listen to a lot of game music along with movie soundtracks, including music mentioned above from Fantasy General, AoW:SM, and Skyrim. I'd be here for hours listing things, but I don't think I've seen the God of War or Batman: Arkahm games yet -- I have a massive mp3 megamix of the GoW games and Arkham City combined with the soundtrack to the Lucasfilm Games Playstation 2 game Gladius (which if no one has played it is a great turn-based tactical fighter).
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Wolfe1759 on April 15, 2013, 04:12:42 PM
Quote from: republic on April 15, 2013, 09:53:45 AM
AGEOD games usually have good music as well.

Particularly Revolution Under Siege, what's not to like about a game that features the Worker's Marseillaise sung by the Chamber Choir of the Krupskaya Leningrad State Institute of Culture.

Also Tropico (1 and 4)
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: spelk on April 15, 2013, 04:32:11 PM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on April 15, 2013, 04:12:42 PM
Particularly Revolution Under Siege, what's not to like about a game that features the Worker's Marseillaise sung by the Chamber Choir of the Krupskaya Leningrad State Institute of Culture.

+1
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: bbmike on April 15, 2013, 04:40:07 PM
Oh, I also forgot the original XCOM! Sufficiently eerie, it still sticks in my mind when I think about XCOM.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: eyebiter on April 15, 2013, 04:48:39 PM
Warhammer 40k Final Liberation heavy metal soundtrack

Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate also had this weird chant song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt1M8iZNHpQ
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: TheCommandTent on April 15, 2013, 06:23:34 PM
The music in John Tiller's Campaign Series always stuck in my head and whenever I heard the music anywhere else I instantly think of the game.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Nefaro on April 15, 2013, 09:28:53 PM
King of Dragon Pass has an excellent period feel to it.  One of the few I've never turned the music off after becoming sick of the repetitiveness (and I do that for nearly all of them).

I've also enjoyed Total War Shogun 2's soundtrack, despite one or two individual tracks not being so high on my list.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Sparhawk on April 15, 2013, 10:11:05 PM
Morrowind and Hearts of Iron.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Gusington on April 16, 2013, 07:31:07 AM
Huw great call on the music from Defender of the Crown. 25 years later and I still hum some of those tunes. Medieval 2 Total War also has some great music.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: JasonPratt on April 16, 2013, 08:08:20 AM
Apache: Air Assault -- goes very well with the National Treasure movie scores.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Yskonyn on April 16, 2013, 10:10:24 AM
Age of Conan, hands down.
No other game has ever smacked me in the face with that much awe before and since.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Martok on April 16, 2013, 12:02:13 PM
Birth of the Federation
Shogun Total War
(1)
Medieval Total War (1)
Rome Total War
Klingon Academy
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
(1 & 2)
Europa Universalis 3
Crusader Kings 2
Armada 2526
StarDrive




(EDIT:  3500th post!  I spend way too much time here... :P ) 

Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: W8taminute on April 16, 2013, 12:09:56 PM
^Whoohooo!  Celebrating your 3500th post.  Well done.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Hiimori on April 16, 2013, 01:15:36 PM
Since I collect soundtracks (movies and games), I own a ton of them, but some are definitely my all-time favorites:

* Dawn of War II - the most WH40kish music ever, I also listen to it when I'm doing WH40k stuff like painting my Emperor's Children or reading books
* Gears of War 1-3
* Republic Commando - an underrated game and a great soundtrack because its lyrics are written in... Mandalorian (or Mando'ade, as the true believer says)
* Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 by Hans Zimmer (Gladiator!), followed by Modern Warfare 3 by Brian Tyler (Alien vs. Predator Requiem!)
* Too Human - another underrated game with an epic soundtrack
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Father Ted on April 16, 2013, 07:04:35 PM
Mostly I turn music off in games, but Simcity2000 is my all-time fave.  The Total War series deserve a mention in dispatches too - I played Shogun, Rome and and Med 2 a fair amount and they each have stuck in my memory.  The most impressive I can recall is Elite II - lots of high-powered orchestral stuff (they were obviously aiming for "2001" vibe).
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Staggerwing on April 16, 2013, 07:25:10 PM
The Elder Scrolls soundtracks, Morrowwind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, are the ones that pop into my head when I'm far from my gaming 'puter such as at work or driving. Sometimes the theme to 'The Last of the Mohicans' (the Gael by Dougie MacLean) pops into my head around the same time. Must be a coincidence...
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 17, 2013, 12:48:02 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on April 16, 2013, 07:04:35 PM
The most impressive I can recall is Elite II - lots of high-powered orchestral stuff (they were obviously aiming for "2001" vibe).

Ah, I really like the music that accompanies that ridiculous intro that is completely unrepresentative of gameplay! :D
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on April 17, 2013, 01:12:20 AM
adagio for stings in the homeworld opening.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Hiimori on April 17, 2013, 04:05:54 AM
Another "earworm" is the music during boss fights in Dark Souls. There is one specific, very hysteric and stressful tune... and after finishing the boss (or dying while trying), I can still hear this tune for hours in my head... often for days...

On the other hand, it's Dark Souls, so an effect like this is to be expected  :P
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: spelk on April 17, 2013, 05:27:30 AM
Years ago, I fell in love with Econoline Crush from the PS1's Sled Storm soundtrack.
http://www.last.fm/music/Various+Artists/Sled+Storm

And I had a real obsession with the soundtrack to a Dreamcast game called Dragon's Blood


Not to mention Divine Divinity's soundtrack.


Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: spelk on April 17, 2013, 05:28:53 AM
Quote from: Hiimori on April 16, 2013, 01:15:36 PM
* Too Human - another underrated game with an epic soundtrack

+1
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: undercovergeek on April 17, 2013, 05:46:18 AM
the opening track to the original Red Alert  - hell march i think it is, it was awesome
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: JasonPratt on April 17, 2013, 12:14:04 PM
Some of the Command & Conquer music prior to Red Alert was pretty good, too.

In today's entry I shall mention the soundtrack to Bayonetta.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: LongBlade on April 17, 2013, 12:53:51 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 17, 2013, 01:12:20 AM
adagio for stings in the homeworld opening.

Barber's Adagio for Strings is an incredible work of music.
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Longdan on April 17, 2013, 02:46:29 PM
even better with stings
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 17, 2013, 03:47:59 PM
Oh!  I've got one!  The intro music to Federation of Free Traders on the Amiga!

Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Windigo on April 17, 2013, 04:22:33 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 17, 2013, 01:12:20 AM
adagio for stings in the homeworld opening.


AB_SO_POSI_TIVE_LEE awesome soundtrack
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: mikeck on April 17, 2013, 04:44:35 PM
Definitely Homeworld....haunting and very immersive
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: JasonPratt on April 18, 2013, 08:05:23 AM
Today's entry from my game soundtrack collection: the classic Castlevania themes.

You could hardly get to the end of the YT rips of the various soundtracks and remixes (and hard metal remakes, some of them better than what I'm linking below!), but here are links to the official "Perfect Collection" editions of the most famous CV themes. (Which I chose because they're good versions, easy to find in one place.)

"Vampire Killer" (more or less the "main theme" of the games, first of the Great Trilogy of themes)
"Bloody Tears" (second of the Great Trilogy of CV themes)
"In The Beginning" (the last of the Great Trilogy of CV themes)

Slightly less well-known themes, but still awesome
"Cross A Fear"
"Simon's Theme" (of UTTER ASSKICKING {g})
Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: Barthheart on April 18, 2013, 08:08:47 AM
The main theme song from Civ IV.... just a great composition.

Title: Re: Which game soundtracks stick in your mind again and again?
Post by: TheCommandTent on April 18, 2013, 04:50:57 PM
^Heck yes I loved that theme.