GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MengJiao on April 23, 2013, 02:26:55 PM

Title: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: MengJiao on April 23, 2013, 02:26:55 PM

Here's a review of the big CLOD MOD.  I just installed it last night.

What I've noticed so far is the reflective canopies and the improved (greener) landscape of SE England.


http://simhq.com/_air15/air_547a.html
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: jomni on April 23, 2013, 04:33:10 PM
Contails overdone? Dunno of its realistic or not as I'm no expert .
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: Father Ted on April 23, 2013, 05:51:21 PM
I've been a Clod-sceptic pretty much since I paid top dollar for it on release, and...well that tale's been rehearsed a thousand times.  I have installed the patch a while back, but have not tried it out yet.

Interesting review MengJiao.  I'm surprised there hasn't been more noise about the patch from the various forums - has the CloD community dwindled significantly?
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: MengJiao on April 24, 2013, 09:06:19 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on April 23, 2013, 05:51:21 PM
I've been a Clod-sceptic pretty much since I paid top dollar for it on release, and...well that tale's been rehearsed a thousand times.  I have installed the patch a while back, but have not tried it out yet.

Interesting review MengJiao.  I'm surprised there hasn't been more noise about the patch from the various forums - has the CloD community dwindled significantly?

I imagine not very many people are still trying to play CLOD.  I avoided CLOD til last week, but several things convinced me to give it a try:

1) the final official version (Came out last fall)
2) the Battle of Stalingrad thing coming up (1c and ROF teams)...which will no doubt be a solid game and spell the end of CLOD (so I wanted to see CLOD before that)
3) Got a machine that should run it (only 1.5 gig of graphics, but I usually turn back a lot of effects and things anyway)
4) and the team fusion patch sounded promising
5) I tend to play any vaguely "realistic" WWII game sooner or later

So, again, except on the ATAG servers with the team fusion patch, not that much is going on.  There are some new campaigns, but I really never ever play any campaigns.

My own experience with the game and the team fusion patch (TF3.0 apparently) has been much better than I expected -- the game looks pretty fantastic and is the most convincing flight simulator I've flown -- better than ROF, though I must say ROF is a good trainer for CLOD and even more oddly, I can actually shoot down planes in CLOD on full realism, but usually not in ROF.

Even more strangely, after years of bungled take-offs and landings in WWIIOnline, I've been able to take off and land with full realism in CLOD.
Maybe I've learned or maybe CLOD is a better simulator or maybe the Spitfire is pretty easy to fly.

So, certainly a game worth visiting or revisiting before Battle of Stalingrad.
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: Greybriar on April 24, 2013, 09:13:14 AM
So, CLOD = IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover and the big mod = Team Fusion Mod, correct?
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: MengJiao on April 24, 2013, 09:22:06 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on April 24, 2013, 09:13:14 AM
So, CLOD = IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover and the big mod = Team Fusion Mod, correct?

Yep.  I haven't tried to do much yet except take off and land with full realism (engine management and engine heating -- stalls, spins red and black outs etc.).

So, with a constant speed prop and the merlin XII and the Spitfire II (probably the easiest plane to fly all-in-all) and 100 octane (you get that for free in every Spit II) I managed to take off from Tangmere, shoot down a German Floatplane (I picked that as a big slow target), return and land.

On the ATAG server as C Boot, I got off the ground, forgot to open the radiator and had the engine start melting down.  Oil spewed on the windscreen, and things looked bad, but I got the plane back to Ramsgate and landed OKAy...though I ruined the engine of course.
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: steve58 on December 17, 2013, 08:54:07 PM
Has anyone tried out the Battle for Malta mod?  Just kind of stumbled on it. Looks interesting enough to make me want to re-install CLOD.  Think I found a project for the weekend...

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/1153-battle-4-malta-cliffs-dover-demo-released/
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: Staggerwing on December 17, 2013, 09:42:41 PM
Quote from: steve58 on December 17, 2013, 08:54:07 PM
Has anyone tried out the Battle for Malta mod?  Just kind of stumbled on it. Looks interesting enough to make me want to re-install CLOD.  Think I found a project for the weekend...

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/1153-battle-4-malta-cliffs-dover-demo-released/

Do you get to fly either Faith, Hope, or Charity?
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: steve58 on December 17, 2013, 09:54:40 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 17, 2013, 09:42:41 PM
Quote from: steve58 on December 17, 2013, 08:54:07 PM
Has anyone tried out the Battle for Malta mod?  Just kind of stumbled on it. Looks interesting enough to make me want to re-install CLOD.  Think I found a project for the weekend...

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/1153-battle-4-malta-cliffs-dover-demo-released/

Do you get to fly either Faith, Hope, or Charity?

...not sure as I've not tried the mod yet, but those three names won me a Making History II t-shirt a couple years back...
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: MengJiao on December 18, 2013, 09:56:17 AM
Quote from: steve58 on December 17, 2013, 08:54:07 PM
Has anyone tried out the Battle for Malta mod?  Just kind of stumbled on it. Looks interesting enough to make me want to re-install CLOD.  Think I found a project for the weekend...

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/1153-battle-4-malta-cliffs-dover-demo-released/

  I steered clear of it.  Supposedly there will be a real Malta in the next Team Fusion issue (number 5 IIRC).  Anyway, I'm playing RoF and, while noticing that CLOD is visually better in many ways, I'm hopeful that Battle of Stalingrad will be a kind of mix of the best things about CLOD (visually very convincing) and RoF (more adventurous in all dimensions -- scope, expansions etc.).
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: sandman2575 on December 18, 2013, 10:38:17 AM
Pretty sure Malta is not compatible with the latest TeamFusion mod (4.01) - ?  Otherwise I would be tempted to give it a try.

CLoD has been sucking up all my gaming time lately.  With the latest TF mod it really is a terrific game (for multiplayer -- single player still has some glitches).

Looking forward to BoS as well.  Some of the alpha footage looks very promising.  My question is though -- who is going to want to fly the LaGG 3 in combat?   Seems like a death-wish versus the 109F.
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: MengJiao on December 18, 2013, 11:31:31 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on December 18, 2013, 10:38:17 AM
Pretty sure Malta is not compatible with the latest TeamFusion mod (4.01) - ?  Otherwise I would be tempted to give it a try.

CLoD has been sucking up all my gaming time lately.  With the latest TF mod it really is a terrific game (for multiplayer -- single player still has some glitches).

Looking forward to BoS as well.  Some of the alpha footage looks very promising.  My question is though -- who is going to want to fly the LaGG 3 in combat?   Seems like a death-wish versus the 109F.

  I'll fly the LaGG3 in the editor.  In RoF all I use is the Quick mission editor.  I'll probably play BoS the same way.  If the 109s are a problem, i'll find something the LaGG3 can do.  Shoot down Ju-52s maybe?

  Supposedly some of the other Russian planes can deal with the German fighters better than the LaGG3 can.  I'm not sure what is flyable at the moment in BoS -- just the LaGG3?
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: sandman2575 on December 18, 2013, 11:54:48 AM
LOL -- of the many, many assignments I would not have wanted to get as a WW2 combatant, being a Tante Ju pilot would be near the top of that list. Lord knows what the life expectancy of Ju-52 pilots was once the war started to turn against the Germans... 

But hey, someone (even if only the AI) has gotta fly supplies to 6th Army in the Kessel, so maybe you can have a LaGG-3 field day (...just hope they are unescorted).

I think the Yak and MiG are coming but not yet available in the alpha.  Presumably this will level the playing field a bit against the 109.

Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: MengJiao on December 18, 2013, 12:01:02 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on December 18, 2013, 11:54:48 AM
LOL -- of the many, many assignments I would not have wanted to get as a WW2 combatant, being a Tante Ju pilot would be near the top of that list. Lord knows what the life expectancy of Ju-52 pilots was once the war started to turn against the Germans... 

But hey, someone (even if only the AI) has gotta fly supplies to 6th Army in the Kessel, so maybe you can have a LaGG-3 field day (...just hope they are unescorted).

I think the Yak and MiG are coming but not yet available in the alpha.  Presumably this will level the playing field a bit against the 109.

  The LaGG3 as the first Russian plane in the Alpha is interesting -- or maybe just puzzling -- supposedly there were a lot of them in the theater in 1942 so it seems like a reasonable place to start.  I guess also if you start your FM with non-optimal planes, it might be easier to get the optimal planes to look plausible without making them too extreme.
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 18, 2013, 01:43:38 PM
One of the guys with alpha access posted a video comparing the LaGG-3 and the 109 and says he's pleased that the devs are sticking to realism and that the LaGG is a dog but he's worried that this might make MP a bit of a ghost town.

I've been toying with signing up for the early access for BOS but the $100+ CDN price tag seems excessive.  I'm also a bit leery after CLOD.  I know some guys think it's decent with the TF 4 mod, but I just hate it.  Anyway, here's the video I was talking about.

Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: MengJiao on December 18, 2013, 01:51:51 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 18, 2013, 01:43:38 PM
One of the guys with alpha access posted a video comparing the LaGG-3 and the 109 and says he's pleased that the devs are sticking to realism and that the LaGG is a dog but he's worried that this might make MP a bit of a ghost town.

I've been toying with signing up for the early access for BOS but the $100+ CDN price tag seems excessive.  I'm also a bit leery after CLOD.  I know some guys think it's decent with the TF 4 mod, but I just hate it.  Anyway, here's the video I was talking about.



   I'm leery too.  Mostly because apparently I will buy almost anything about WWII and almost any flight sim.  So BoS has two strikes against it since I know I will get it eventually.  So I wait as long as I possibly can and usually this pays off.  Meanwhile, I'm back to RoF and Caesar in Gaul.  See.  Neither one is about WWII and only one of them is a flgiht sim.
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: sandman2575 on December 18, 2013, 03:10:45 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 18, 2013, 01:43:38 PM
I'm also a bit leery after CLOD.  I know some guys think it's decent with the TF 4 mod, but I just hate it.  Anyway, here's the video I was talking about.


I can completely understand being leery of BoS given the CloD debacle, but I'm curious what it is you hate about CloD - ?  I'm not suggesting it's perfect, but I think there's a lot to enjoy here now.

ApeoftheYear's YouTube tutorials for CloD & BoS previews are terrific -- esp. with the former, I've learned a lot watching him.  (Of course, he makes everything look so easy -- he seems to be a damned good fighter sim pilot.) 

Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 18, 2013, 06:01:26 PM
I think the main thing that I really can't stand about CLOD is the front-end UI.  It's just atrocious.  If I select a quick battle and pick something like low-level dogfight, I can't even do something as simple as select the nationality of the AI enemy.  I can assign them German planes but the game will always make them Italian and give the planes Italian markings.

The single player AI is still completely broken.  You can try to issue orders to your AI wingmen but they won't follow them.  Enemy AI is still on some sort of odd fuel/visiblity trigger.  If htey reach a certain fuel state, they'll immediately turn for home and fly straight and level even if you're right one their six, plinking away.

I also don't like the fact that anti-aliasing doesn't work well.  It makes it harder than it should be to ID targets at long range and discern their angle of motion.
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: MengJiao on December 18, 2013, 07:30:48 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 18, 2013, 06:01:26 PM
I think the main thing that I really can't stand about CLOD is the front-end UI.  It's just atrocious.  If I select a quick battle and pick something like low-level dogfight, I can't even do something as simple as select the nationality of the AI enemy.  I can assign them German planes but the game will always make them Italian and give the planes Italian markings.


  For CLOD I use the editor.  It's very much the same as the old Il-2 editor.  I'm not trying to do anything elaborate so it works okay.
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: sandman2575 on December 18, 2013, 08:47:50 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 18, 2013, 06:01:26 PM
I think the main thing that I really can't stand about CLOD is the front-end UI.  It's just atrocious.  If I select a quick battle and pick something like low-level dogfight, I can't even do something as simple as select the nationality of the AI enemy.  I can assign them German planes but the game will always make them Italian and give the planes Italian markings.

The single player AI is still completely broken.  You can try to issue orders to your AI wingmen but they won't follow them.  Enemy AI is still on some sort of odd fuel/visiblity trigger.  If htey reach a certain fuel state, they'll immediately turn for home and fly straight and level even if you're right one their six, plinking away.

Yeah, I agree this kind of thing is stupid.  You can set it up so that RAF planes have LW markings and vice versa --  why would I want to do this?? 



Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 18, 2013, 06:01:26 PM
I also don't like the fact that anti-aliasing doesn't work well.  It makes it harder than it should be to ID targets at long range and discern their angle of motion.

I thought it was just my bad eyesight and generally atrocious situational awareness that was causing this.   ;)

May be just my imagination, but I thought you could force better levels of AA for CloD through the nvidia control panel.  I also thought the "SweetFX" injector improved things, but I recently removed that because I thought it was causing the game to crash.
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 18, 2013, 10:12:40 PM
Maybe you can if you have an nVidia card.  I have an AMD card and forcing AA doesn't work.
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 14, 2014, 07:30:16 AM
This is a pretty god damned epic vid!

Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: Rayfer on June 14, 2014, 09:07:35 AM
LOL...was that game footage or a movie? Epic!
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: Rekim on June 14, 2014, 02:48:39 PM
Woh. That was amazing.
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: Staggerwing on June 14, 2014, 02:57:28 PM
Pretty sharp!

Did you guys catch the 'Saint' graphic on the left front fuselage of one of the Hurris?  ;)
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: MengJiao on June 16, 2014, 09:15:04 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on June 14, 2014, 02:57:28 PM
Pretty sharp!

Did you guys catch the 'Saint' graphic on the left front fuselage of one of the Hurris?  ;)

  the titles were odd in spots: not knowing its from it's and what's with "12 Months Later?"   Let's see, the footage is supposed to be from 1941 or the enthusiasts think Dunkirk happened in 1939?  One of the Big Things about the Battle of Britain is that it happened Right after the Battle of France.  The new regime in London had made a series of crucial decisions such as not sending any more squadrons to France and blowing up the French Fleet.  The whole Summer of 1940 happened bang-bang-bang!  And Churchill managed to stop the German momentum on all fronts with the Battle of Britain being the end of the Beginning (as the footage suggests).
Title: Re: CLOD's big MOD wows Mengjiao
Post by: sandman2575 on June 16, 2014, 10:08:49 AM
That made my day.  Just spectacular. 

Need to update to the latest TF patch.  Wish I had even a fraction of the skill of some of those simmers.