GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: LongBlade on May 13, 2013, 11:07:48 AM

Title: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: LongBlade on May 13, 2013, 11:07:48 AM
This game looks vaguely like the old Mac game, Balance of Power, but has more direct military confrontation.

Looks interesting. http://www.thecoldwarera.com/
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 13, 2013, 12:31:42 PM
Hmmm...ok, who is going to take the plunge?
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Grim.Reaper on May 13, 2013, 12:40:58 PM
Is it out?
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: GJK on May 13, 2013, 12:41:40 PM
It's Twilight Struggle as an RTS vs turn based, card driven game, "Space Race" track included. 
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: LongBlade on May 13, 2013, 01:46:59 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 13, 2013, 12:31:42 PM
Hmmm...ok, who is going to take the plunge?

I can get you a review copy.
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Tamas on May 13, 2013, 01:53:53 PM
I was quite interested. They linked a review on their facebook page.

It wrote that it is quite rough at the edges and some of the stuff which happened was obscure, in other words it seemed to be suffering from the "small team did it" interface problems, but that is almost like a given in our hobby, so I wouldn't care.

The review also mentioned that a single game is timed to last for... an hour. I am afraid I'll pass.
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Bismarck on May 13, 2013, 02:20:50 PM
Clumsey.  Can't read the info on-scree.  Too fast..
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 13, 2013, 04:37:35 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on May 13, 2013, 01:46:59 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 13, 2013, 12:31:42 PM
Hmmm...ok, who is going to take the plunge?

I can get you a review copy.

I'll take it.  May take some time before I can get to the review though.  I'm working on StarDrive presently...
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: LongBlade on May 13, 2013, 05:02:02 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 13, 2013, 04:37:35 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on May 13, 2013, 01:46:59 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 13, 2013, 12:31:42 PM
Hmmm...ok, who is going to take the plunge?

I can get you a review copy.

I'll take it.  May take some time before I can get to the review though.  I'm working on StarDrive presently...

Request sent.
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: tgb on May 13, 2013, 07:18:46 PM
There's no demo, is there?
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: jomni on May 13, 2013, 07:39:17 PM
I will watch this.
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Grim.Reaper on May 13, 2013, 08:03:18 PM
Seems like it is a server based game, even for single player. No offense to the company, but I would be afraid of their long term existence if it doesn't sell well...then you wouldn't be able to play your game.
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: GJK on May 13, 2013, 10:17:05 PM
I'm betting that Twilight Struggle is a much more polished, playtested and refined game and I'm anxiously awaiting the PC version of it to be released.  I'd faint if the designer's of this game told me that they never heard of Twilight Struggle because from the short video with Ms. Pierced Eyebrow, it appears to be a very blatant rip-off to me.
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Nefaro on May 13, 2013, 11:10:55 PM
I checked the vid for it out on Greenlight sometime in the past week.

Looked way too simple for my tastes.  Maybe they didn't show everything but all I saw was a handful of the same few resource sliders available for each nation on a world map.  Perhaps it's deeper than that but I didn't see it.
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Rekim on May 13, 2013, 11:14:44 PM
I can't wait for computer Twilight Struggle either. I need the practice. The only people I know who play it are super freaking good at it. In recent times I've witnessed two games that ended by turn #3 (I was the victim in one match). Fun game though.

Expect it must be very close to release. 
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Nefaro on May 13, 2013, 11:29:18 PM
Quote from: Rekim on May 13, 2013, 11:14:44 PM
I can't wait for computer Twilight Struggle either. I need the practice. The only people I know who play it are super freaking good at it. In recent times I've witnessed two games that ended by turn #3 (I was the victim in one match). Fun game though.

Expect it must be very close to release.

Is computer TS gonna have both single- and multi-player?  It's not solely a browser-based game or something, is it?

I don't have much info on it.  :o
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Rekim on May 13, 2013, 11:41:21 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 13, 2013, 11:29:18 PM

Is computer TS gonna have both single- and multi-player?  It's not solely a browser-based game or something, is it?

I don't have much info on it.  :o

The first digital version of Twilight Struggle will be for the PC, with ai and internet play. Digital download from GMT Games

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-397-twilight-struggle-digital-edition-windows-pc.aspx

I'll be surprised if this doesn't find it's way to other platforms. My first choice would be to have it on the pad.
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Nefaro on May 13, 2013, 11:43:51 PM
Quote from: Rekim on May 13, 2013, 11:41:21 PM


The first digital version of Twilight Struggle will be for the PC, with ai and internet play. Digital download from GMT Games

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-397-twilight-struggle-digital-edition-windows-pc.aspx

I'll be surprised if this doesn't find it's way to other platforms. My first choice would be to have it on the pad.

Thanks!
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: jomni on May 14, 2013, 01:52:33 AM
Theyr taking such a long time to release TS. 
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: tgb on May 14, 2013, 09:21:23 AM
Twilight Struggle would have been a day-one purchase for me had it made it out by the end of last year as expected.  There has been no further word from GMT, and the last thing the development house had to say was that they were getting ready to go into beta.  That was back in January.

I suspect there are all sorts of problems, which had turned this into a wait-and-see release.
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Rekim on May 14, 2013, 03:22:45 PM
Quote from: tgb on May 14, 2013, 09:21:23 AM
Twilight Struggle would have been a day-one purchase for me had it made it out by the end of last year as expected.  There has been no further word from GMT, and the last thing the development house had to say was that they were getting ready to go into beta.  That was back in January.

I suspect there are all sorts of problems, which had turned this into a wait-and-see release.

The last update on the developer website [http://rivermyst.com/] from March says they were starting the final round of beta testing, with only cosmetic tweaks remaining.
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Grim.Reaper on May 14, 2013, 06:04:22 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 13, 2013, 08:03:18 PM
Seems like it is a server based game, even for single player. No offense to the company, but I would be afraid of their long term existence if it doesn't sell well...then you wouldn't be able to play your game.

My fear realized...looks like server issues already....granted other online providers sometimes have issues too, but small shops like this scare me.

http://www.alinadigital.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=122&sid=c35dc49169cab7f6e5da6fad7030d61b
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: tgb on May 14, 2013, 07:33:49 PM
Quote. New good server is something on our TOP priorities for donation goal

Translation: If we meet our stretch goal you may be able to play the game.
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: jomni on May 14, 2013, 07:44:26 PM
I just lost interest in the game.  Haha.
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 15, 2013, 06:19:53 AM
I was able to log in to a game this morning.  Once in, I quickly realized I had no idea what the hell was going on. I'm going to take a look at the manual.
Title: Re: Game: The Cold War Era
Post by: tgb on May 15, 2013, 06:51:26 AM
Keep us posted because I definitely have my eye on this one.