GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Nefaro on May 19, 2013, 12:45:54 PM

Title: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Nefaro on May 19, 2013, 12:45:54 PM
Diablo-style ARPG coming out Wednesday.

Anyone know something about it other than the feature list?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/215530/


I see mention of a "tower defense" style mode - I hope that's not the main focus.  ???
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Bison on May 19, 2013, 12:47:04 PM
Yeah I'm watching this one too.  Curious to see what the price will be since they haven't seen fit to advertise that yet.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Tpek on May 19, 2013, 12:56:55 PM
I've been eying this as well.
Hope it turns out to be above mediocre.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: son_of_montfort on May 19, 2013, 10:17:52 PM
Quote from: Bison on May 19, 2013, 12:47:04 PM
Yeah I'm watching this one too.  Curious to see what the price will be since they haven't seen fit to advertise that yet.

First, Thundarr the Barbarian - I thought I was the only person that remembered this show!

Second, Rock, Paper, Shotgun ran an interesting article on Van Helsing a little bit back. All I really got from it was that you can customize your sexy ghost friend. But the game did look rather interesting and I do love ARPGs.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Tpek on May 20, 2013, 05:07:19 AM
Quote from: Bison on May 19, 2013, 12:47:04 PM
Yeah I'm watching this one too.  Curious to see what the price will be since they haven't seen fit to advertise that yet.

Didn't notice this, so sorry.
The price is 15$.
At least according to Gamersgate :P
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Nefaro on May 20, 2013, 05:50:35 AM
Quote from: Tpek on May 20, 2013, 05:07:19 AM
Quote from: Bison on May 19, 2013, 12:47:04 PM
Yeah I'm watching this one too.  Curious to see what the price will be since they haven't seen fit to advertise that yet.

Didn't notice this, so sorry.
The price is 15$.
At least according to Gamersgate :P

A pricepoint like that makes me wonder just how much content it comes with.  Will it be just another short 10- or 12-hour title?

I love Neocore's King Arthur Role-playing Wargame and hope they brought some interesting stuff to the table with this one.  AND it's not of demo length.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Tpek on May 20, 2013, 05:59:34 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 20, 2013, 05:50:35 AM
Quote from: Tpek on May 20, 2013, 05:07:19 AM
Quote from: Bison on May 19, 2013, 12:47:04 PM
Yeah I'm watching this one too.  Curious to see what the price will be since they haven't seen fit to advertise that yet.

Didn't notice this, so sorry.
The price is 15$.
At least according to Gamersgate :P

A pricepoint like that makes me wonder just how much content it comes with.  Will it be just another short 10- or 12-hour title?

I love Neocore's King Arthur Role-playing Wargame and hope they brought some interesting stuff to the table with this one.  AND it's not of demo length.

Not to ruin your day, but 10-12 hour gameplay is pretty long these days :(
Most 50$+ games have only 9 hours in them at max.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Bison on May 20, 2013, 06:52:32 AM
Well here is some information on the game.  It's play time is 10+ hrs depending on play style.  It's part 1 of 3.  The additional 2 parts are seperate games.  They will do micro DLC.  When did Neocore get dropped by Paradox?  Their offical forums are pretty dead and given the drop in support for KA2 almost immediately.    I'm not so sure about this one now. 

http://forum.neocoregames.com/index.php?/topic/484-trilogy-question/
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 20, 2013, 07:44:14 AM
I've been looking forward to this too but like others have said the drop of Neocore between KA1 and KA2 gives me pause. From the the trailers it definitely looks like fun but I will wait and see.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Tpek on May 20, 2013, 12:16:15 PM
http://www.devblog.neocoregames.com/

Seems you can pre-order directly from the devs to get into the beta.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Nefaro on May 20, 2013, 02:51:49 PM
Quote from: Tpek on May 20, 2013, 05:59:34 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 20, 2013, 05:50:35 AM


A pricepoint like that makes me wonder just how much content it comes with.  Will it be just another short 10- or 12-hour title?

I love Neocore's King Arthur Role-playing Wargame and hope they brought some interesting stuff to the table with this one.  AND it's not of demo length.

Not to ruin your day, but 10-12 hour gameplay is pretty long these days :(
Most 50$+ games have only 9 hours in them at max.

Naa.. it's common for first-person shooters.  Sure. 

When it comes to ARPGs or strategy games, 10 hours is nothing.  Especially for RPGs. 

If the game itself is any good, I hope their later additions have more than 10 hours each.   Hell.. even Diablo 3 took me about 15 hours to play the first time through.. and I felt as if the thing had ended before reaching a halfway point.

Oh well.. at least there'll be more.  Will suck just gettin' rolling and have to stop before long and wait on future DLC.   That could mean the future ones inevitably get relegated to the bottom of the "to play" pile.  :-[

From what I personally experienced of the Neocore-Paradox communication, it wasn't going too well.  They certainly weren't on the same page there for a time, when some of us had distributor update issues on KARPWG.  It was a mess, but it eventually got sorted despite the odd finger pointing.   I'm willing to give them the benefit this time.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Tpek on May 20, 2013, 03:34:38 PM
D3 was pretty short.
Also, it was a 70$ game. This one is only 15$ and not made by the biggest and most "evil" company, Activision-Blizzard. :P
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Nefaro on May 20, 2013, 03:58:43 PM
Quote from: Tpek on May 20, 2013, 03:34:38 PM
D3 was pretty short.
Also, it was a 70$ game. This one is only 15$ and not made by the biggest and most "evil" company, Activision-Blizzard. :P

Indeed.  That's why I'll still pick up the Van Helsing thing.  But I kinda wish they'd waited and thrown together the first two for more content. 

Diablo 3 was definitely too short - my primary complaint.  The pricing for such a short rpg was what really put some weight behind that complaint.  Something as open and long as an Elder Scrolls title might be worth that but 15 hours is sad.  At least Neocore has priced theirs accordingly.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 20, 2013, 07:27:49 PM
Looking forward to impressions...really hope it's decent, it has a lot of potential and I've been looking forward to it for a while.

Isn't the biggest and most evil company EA?
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 20, 2013, 07:41:25 PM
Promising preview: http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/The_Incredible_Adventures_of_Van_Helsing/index.html
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: JasonPratt on May 20, 2013, 09:09:52 PM
It's certainly on my wishlist, so I'm registering for comment tracking.

I've spent waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much on games recently (even buying through sales), so I'll probably wait: I took a risk on Sang-Froid and reported it worthy, so I've done my good deed for this half of the year. :)
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 20, 2013, 09:13:29 PM
Sang-Froid looks more original, but I'm hoping Van Helsing has that special something. It looks like it might! Starting to get giddy...
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Nefaro on May 21, 2013, 10:07:50 PM
I'll check it out.   Despite the gameplay being so short. 

One thing about a company releasing one of it's titles in a few small, lower-priced installments... if the first isn't good, then you get out cheaply.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 07:26:57 AM
Yeah...but I hope that is not the only feature we end up liking about it!
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Tpek on May 22, 2013, 11:48:11 AM
Argh..
So much aggravation of late, the last thing I needed is now for Stym to Steammy me...
I already had the entire game downloaded as the closed beta. Rather than download a small update to make it into a full release, Steam has me download the entire over 8 gigs
all over again.
And for some reason it was taking a long a while...
Then when it's close to being finished... suddenly steam decides to remove everything and start downloading it again all over again  :o >:( :(

Now only some more hours if Steam (hopefully) doesn't decide on too many additional redownloads...
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 12:20:53 PM
It will be worth it (for the rest of us) when you get it downloaded!
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Bison on May 22, 2013, 12:28:51 PM
Seems alright so far in my 15 of game play.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Tpek on May 22, 2013, 01:01:14 PM
I liked the beta btw.
Too bad it now turns out Gamersgate and Steam are offering a 10% discount that was not available for pre-orderers (but by now I know
early supporters and backers are always screwed).

If only Steam wasn't such a ##### and still be downloading the damn thing. :(
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 01:13:50 PM
I will probably buy it later tonight unless one of you guys finds something horrific, in a bad and not gamey way.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Bison on May 22, 2013, 01:21:24 PM
At $12 or so if urged what the hell.   I will say there seems in my inital limited play a fairly robust character specialization tree.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 01:23:51 PM
I love it when you talk all gamey.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: JasonPratt on May 22, 2013, 02:05:38 PM
I've been on a bit of a Diablo-esque gaming binge recently, and I've been watching this, so... yep, kaching.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 02:40:08 PM
For 13 fiddy we can't complain unless it stinks.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Nefaro on May 22, 2013, 02:45:55 PM
The Steam forum reception seems to be rather good, despite the limited gameplay length.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 06:37:38 PM
Sweet but now I am torn...Van Helsing, Victoria II or Dishonored DLC? Dammit all to Hell.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Bison on May 22, 2013, 06:53:36 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 06:37:38 PM
Sweet but now I am torn...Van Helsing, Victoria II or Dishonored DLC? Dammit all to Hell.

There I helped you.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 06:56:51 PM
Too late!!
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Bison on May 22, 2013, 06:58:12 PM
Well I'll attempt to remind you in 2018 when you finally think about installing and playing the game.  There's a lot of books to read first.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 06:59:00 PM
Installing Victoria II right now. Then the DLC and the expansion. Got them all on sale.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Bison on May 22, 2013, 07:04:14 PM
I stand by my statement. 
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 07:05:29 PM
I figure it's been 14 years since I tried EUI. Things may have changed.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Bison on May 22, 2013, 07:08:10 PM
Well all I can say is I really hope you find something enjoyable to playing it that completely eluded me.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 07:09:51 PM
Are you playing Van Helsing?
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Bison on May 22, 2013, 07:15:04 PM
Yes.  Well, no, I'm posting here but I intend to play some more later this evening unless FE:LH gets in the way or my head hits the keyboard first.
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 07:17:20 PM
Just got that too. I rampaged through Steam like a Viking...it's payday after all. Post impressions!
Title: Re: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing
Post by: Toonces on May 22, 2013, 11:38:52 PM
Quote from: Bison on May 22, 2013, 12:28:51 PM
Seems alright so far in my 15 of game play.

You mean you stopped playing Fallen Enchantress for 15 entire minutes?  Non consecutive minutes I assume...  :-*